Any good on Legator guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by hanachanmaru, Jan 31, 2017.

1. hanachanmaru

hanachanmaru SS.org Regular

Hey guys and gals.. wonder has anybody played or owned a legator guitar?

I kinda fancy their headless design... but have no idea how well made they are and rivaling with their master strandberg and kiesel... do they use good tone wood thats not impregnated ? Ie kiesel ? How about their neck and tone? Natural warm enough?

https://legator.guitars/products/ghost/

2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Stay away from legator. Lately there's a lot of bad reviews and feedback.

3. hanachanmaru

Ohhh.... i wonder what keeping these new coy a bad repo.... they accepting preorders thou.... thanks for your info by the way :)

4. bpprox22

bpprox22 Broken Escalator

I've always been curious.

Anytime I think about getting near one, there is usually a brick wall of advice (with proof) to stay far away -- which is why I will probably never own a Legator.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

For the price of a legator headless you could get an ormsby headless (should be some extras from run 4), one of the lower end strandbergs or a barebones kiesel. Kiesel and strandberg are both great, and i heard good things about the ormsby headless from people who played it at namm. I'd look into any of those instead

6. hanachanmaru

Mmmm thanks for the inputs... but arent ormsby from australia ? I heard they taken a lower price point guitars to have them made in korea... ? Wonder how they play and sounds like....

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Haven't heard anything bad about Ormsby.
    The difference is that ormsby is a successful custom builder who has made sure the guitars he has wmi make are high quality.

8. DjentleVibes

DjentleVibes SS.org Regular

I own a Ninja 200 7 string and a Ninja 300 pro 6 string and they are both phenomenal guitars. I got the 7 as a B-stock for a good discount and I bought the 6 used for a steal. Great guitars with fast necks and slim bodies. :hbang:

makemyeyesbleed likes this.
  9. WhiskeyPickleJake

WhiskeyPickleJake SS.org Regular

I took a leap of faith on a fanned fret Ninja last year. Quality was good, but I was having trouble getting it set up proper. Legator sent me a shipping label for that one and shipped me a new one, checked and set up by them with string and tuning preference.

Can't think of anything bad to say.

makemyeyesbleed likes this.
  10. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Legator are absolute garbage and I can't stress enough to stay far, far away from them.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

:cough: shill :cough:

12. bpprox22

bpprox22 Broken Escalator

I didn't want to be the one to post the video of that mess lol

13. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

14. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

> 8 posts
    > Djent in username
    > Leaves positive review for product with questionable reputation

Good thing we've never seen that before...

USMarine75 likes this.
  15. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

Take my advice with a pinch of salt/bias, as I work for Ormsby, but spend the extra bit of cash and go with reputable stuff like Strandberg, Kiesel, and Ormsby.
    edit: also take a good look at each company's offerings for features and looks. Do your homework and make a worthwhile decision :)

16. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I love my Ninja 200 SE 7 string, but I bought it in 2014 on Reverb for a pretty decent price.

Great neck profile, excellent upper fret access, and solid stock pickups.

HOWEVER, I would honestly not recommend one unless you want a very specific model that no one else/only a handful of companies produce. These include 27 inch 7 strings, 8 strings with trems, 9 strings, 7/8 string teles, and fanned fret guitars/basses.

With most cases though, it would be safer to go with a company like ESP LTD, Ormsby, Ibanez, Kiesel, Jackson, Schecter, etc... over Legator. Especially in the case of the fanned MIK guitars, those prices are pretty steep. The normal 100s/200s/300s are not that badly priced, but could at least feature some upgraded hardware/pickups.

Will I ever sell mine? Probably not in the near future. I LOVE how it plays, but that doesn't take away from the shoddy guitars they have been sending out.

A handful of mid-high level endorsements (for a company of their size, of course) have recently left, including Reflections' Patrick Somoulay and Invent, Animate's Keaton and Caleb. Patty went to Kiesel and the guys from IA moved on over to Ibanez.

Don't be afraid to pick one up on Reverb or ebay from a store that allows for returns though, but make sure the price is right.

_

tl;dr: as capoeiraesp said, do your homework. find out what you need, who offers it, and what people are saying about the company.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

based off the last couple of ormsby runs they should be pretty good for the money, though we'll have to see. The ormsby headless is made in korea.

18. zeropoint

zeropoint SS.org Regular

The Legator's I've played felt like the frets were made out of coathanger and there were some absolutely massive bubbles in the "finish" / binding / whatever they'd dare to call it on the sides of the neck near the body. The 7 string played OK but felt lifeless in comparison to almost every other 7 I've played (including Jackson's cheapo MIC model) and their 8 was a definite no, tone-wise.

Now, that could have been partly on the shop selling them failing to do a good setup, and they may have been B-stock models for all I know.

But I went there WANTING to like them with money burning a hole in my pocket and I left empty handed.

19. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Good god, that review video! Holy crap, that's some shoddy work, and worse customer service. The fact that the second guitar they sent was the best they could muster says volumes.

20. theicon2125

theicon2125 Midwest Metalhead

I love that he holds his Ormsby to comfort himself. I wonder if the dude ever got his money back.