Any Good Chinese Movies?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fannya24, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Fannya24

Fannya24 SS.org Regular

Hello ,
    I ma learning Chinese.
    Searching Chinese book and movies?
    Any one have a good recommendation ?
    Any good movies? it is said that the Chinese Kongfu is amazing ,is everyone Chinese good at it?
    [​IMG]

2. spearss91

spearss91 Watch Movies Online

Lust, Caution
    House of Flying Daggers
    Cape No. 7
    Warriors of Heaven and Earth
    Fearless
    Eternal Summer
    Suzhou River
    Perhaps Love
    Curse of the Golden Flower
    Hero
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

3. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

This might sound lame, but I found this awesome movie on netflix called "Vote for Me". It's a chinese documentary about an elementary school class implementing democracy in the classroom by allowing the children to vote for the next teacher's assistant. It was pretty interesting as well as adorable. Not to mention funny as balls sometimes. It really resembles American democracy at times the way the kids slander each other and try low-blow tactics to get votes. I highly recommend it.

It will definitely help you because you get to hear mandarin spoken in conversational, everyday aspects rather than the rehearsed, scripted lines of the films listed(I love all of them though. Especially House of Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). As a matter of fact, if you go on Netflix, you can type in the search bar "mandarin films" and get a shitload of chinese films. I went on a Mandarin documentary spree one time. Great, raw films.

Well, yup.

4. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Oh, shit. Forgot to mention. Although this is a Korean film, check out a movie called "Oldboy". It is perhaps one of the greatest films I have ever watched in my life. Irrelevant to the thread but so necessary to the spreading of awesomeness.

5. imlikemike

imlikemike SS.org Regular

Ip Man 1 and 2!

6. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

Are you learning Mandarin or Cantonese?

7. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

8. geofreesun

geofreesun SS.org Regular

9. The Grief Hole

The Grief Hole SS.org Regular

Sha Po lang,
    Once Upon A Time In China
    A Touch Of Zen
    Chinese Ghost Story
    Drunken Master 2
    Shaolin Red Master
    Snake and crane martial arts of shaolin or pretty mich any pre 95 Jackie Chan
    PTU
    Chunking Express
    Flash Point

I've got a collection that goes back 15 years so if you want a specifc genre let me know. The ones above are mostly kung fu and totally fucking awesome.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Infernal Affairs. AWESOME film. It came out in 2002, and then The Departed (the American film) came out, based on it, in 2006. I saw Infernal Affairs right after it came out, and loved it. Saw the Departed and hated it.

Anyway, go rent it. Suuuuper good. (I watched it with the subtitles on, but if you're learning you could try to deal with it with them off. I'm pretty sure it's Cantonese, since it was filmed in Hong Kong, but I can't remember for sure).

11. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

house of flying daggers
    ip man 1 and 2

12. Osiris

Osiris SS.org Regular

Jet Li's Fearless is insanely good but long.

13. HOKENSTYFE

HOKENSTYFE HeartWyrm

Anything by The Shaw Brothers, John Woo with Chow Yun Fat and young Jackie Chan! Awesome!

14. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Legend of The Fist: The Return Of Chen Zhen!

Most of the ones I'm aware of have already been suggested, though.

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Red Cliff 1-2. Among John Woo's finest.

Awesome choices here.

Regarding Jackie Chan's films, a lot of the early day 70s stuff (particularly his stints with Lo Wei), are plentiful but not all are great. Hand of Death was decent (also John Woo). Some are alright like Snake+Crane, Shaolin Wooden Men etc. It didn't get better until the end: Snake In Eagle's Shadow, Drunken Master (both essentially the same film), Spiritual Kung Fu, Half A Loaf of Kung Fu and Fearless Hyena (Chan's final and best work with Lo Wei; essentially his version of Drunken Master). Stay the hell away from FH part 2 though.

The 80s were Jackie Chan's best and most memorable work (mostly all directed by Chan himself). You can pretty much name most his movies during this time as essential viewing (except the weird odd ones like Big Brawl and The Protector.... Cannonball Run doesn't count as Chinese either). Project A (1-2), Police Story (1-3... acutually, all of them really...), Armour of God (1-2), Heart of The Dragon, all his movies with Sammo Hung (Lucky Stars series) the list goes on until Drunken Master 2, his last great film. Anything after 1995, much like his 70s work has to be approached with extreme caution.

Jet Li.... similar story. From Shaolin Temple up to Hitman have all been good to great. The Once Upon A Time In China series are still great today (1-3 only, 6 is alright but can't compare to the first 3 films). Other greats include Fung Sai Yuk (1-2, shows the forgotten playful side of Jet Li), Fist of Legend (a very good remake of Bruce Lee's Chinese Connection/Fist of Fury). Anything after 98 gets a bit hazy, but Hero is an obvious choice (mentioned a few times already), Fearless and Warlords.

Also note everything that Andrew Lau has directed. This includes the Young And Dangerous series (all 6 are fantastic), Infernal Affairs (1-3 already mentioned), Legend of the Fist: Return of Chen Zen (also mentioned) and all his fantasy sword fighting action films like Storm Riders, A Man Called Hero and The Duel. Avoid his Initial D movie though, that sucked. :lol:

I'm glad The Grief Hole mentioned Chinese Ghost Story, all three movies are great (even if 3 was essentially a retelling of 1). One of Tsui Hark's greatest moments (also did Once Upon A Time In China). Speakin of which, he's got some great movies like Seven Swordsmen, Zu Warriors from Magic Mountain, among others. And to think he did that garbage Van Damme/Dennis Rodman duo movie Double Team... :rofl:

Stephen Chow also has a rich film resume, again be cautious. Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle, King of Comedy and God of Cookery are the obvious choices. I still can't belive he was the producer of Dragonball Evolution, but I guess that doesn't count as a Chinese film now doesn't it. :noplease:

There's a ton of others I can recommend, but so far those are what I can remember.

Also if you're considering TV shows, check out the Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2010 series.

EDIT: Just for the record, a lot of what's recommended falls more towards Hong Kong cinema and not Mainland Chinese film.

16. The Grief Hole

The Grief Hole SS.org Regular

Damn. Forgot The Prodigal Son with yuen biao and sammo and warriors two. Both are way too good not to watch.

17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I took Mandarin and Chinese culture for 3 years... we had to watch all kinds of movies from the Chinese "5th generation" of movie directors. Most are in one of the Chinese dialects... If your looking for something that you can get an understanding of their culture and not just martial arts... especially look for older movies by Zhang Yimou or Chen Kaige. Anyways, here's a list of a few classics:

Yi Yi
    Raise The Red Lantern
    Red Sorghum
    Ju Dou
    The Yellow Earth
    Farewell My Concubine

If you're into this stuff I can try and find my binder from the class, but these are just the movie I could think of off the top of my head.

18. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

Red Cliff (Theatrical Version)
    Ip Man 1 & 2
    Legend of the Fist (Chinese & Japanese)
    Little Big Soldier
    Goemon (Japanese)
    Shinobi (Japanese)
    ANYTHING with Jet Li in it.

19. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I watched the version of Red Cliff that was released in North America, and while it was really good, it left me wanting more. I'm hoping to track down a copy of the original (which is actually a 2 part movie and quite a bit longer than the NA release) to watch.

As far as Jet Li goes, my advice is generally to watch his Chinese releases, but stay far, far away from his American movies. (The One :barf:)

Also, you can't go wrong with some of Chow Yun Fat's older movies, such as A Better Tomorrow, Hard-Boiled and The Killer. They're all archetypal Hong Kong action movies and they are AWESOME.

20. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular