Any free drum programs out there?

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Gmork, Jun 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

In the meantime visit drummer forums. Those guys are more up to date, than an old ex-drummer, who became a bedroom producer and plays 7-string ;)

I myself started with a used Sonor set.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

IMO, at the low end of the price spectrum, you're mainly paying for fixtures. A bad cheap set will have shoddy fixtures for everything, but a good cheap set will have good hardware. I think you really can't go wrong with any long-lived major brands there - Pearl, Tama, even SP. But I'd stay away from anything ultra-budget, like First Act or anything with an unrecognizable name. I've always loved DW hardware - really great stuff, but it's quite expensive compared to the cheap stuff. But, to start out, you probably want a shell pack, a kick pedal, a drum throne, a snare stand, a hihat stand, and then either two boom stands or a boom stand and a straight cymbal stand. Then, probably a pair of decent hihats, a crash, and a ride. I really hate crash/rides, because what you get is really neither a crash nor a ride, it's too heavy to be a crash with too long a decay and it's too low pitched and wobbly to make a good ride. I'd try to spend a little more on the hihats and the kick pedal and hihat stand, if you can, since those are things you'll be using a lot.

My first set was a Pearl 5 piece Export. They are a little more mid-priced by today's standards, but, at the time, it was pretty close to the cheapest you could get. I got my son an Sound Percussion 4-piece set when he was little, and it's held up for more than ten years, even though the set was only like $150 with cymbals, hardware, and even sticks included. The cymbals are all broken now, and most of the hardware is toast, though. You can always replace stuff as you get more experienced.

3. Sickboy

Sickboy SS.org Regular

Thank you bostjan I will think about that. I have a sponsor, so I'm not worry about money :)
    That will be a gift from my parents.

4. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

5. bostjan

Yes.

6. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

I just got MT Power Drum and loaded the VST into reaper.
    Not sure where to go to make my own drum patterns/loops, ill have to do some research!

7. bostjan

Skip to 6 minutes

skmanga likes this.
  8. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

That was a huge help man, thank you!

My goal is to be able to record a full band minus vocals by myself, using any instruments and gear I may have lying around and using digital software to make up for the rest!
    Using Reaper and MT Power Drum has me well on my way, I love how simple it is to lay down a solid good sounding groove and be able to jam and record to it.
    Being able to edit the grooves and even make my own is even more awesome! Using their grooves and loops as a foundation I can be creative and get my own ideas down quickly.

Now I've just got to find some good sounding guitar and bass VST's and im all set :)
    I've been debating setting up my Eleven rack as my primary interface, but I've read it works best with Pro tools and the version that my eleven rack came with is 8.0LE...
    It's so old I've never bothered installing it... and from the research I have done, in 2018 there are ZERO options to upgrade even at a discounted price.
    I am stuck buying a fresh copy of pro tools, so I am just gonna stick to Reaper for now lol
    I'll eventually have to buy a new/used recording interface if I don't end up using my eleven rack, my audiobox usb is well on its way out..

9. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Another option is using a drum VST, that comes with MIDI tracks.

An example is the free Sennheiser Drum Mic'A, I mentioned before, where you can drag and drop a MIDI beat into a Reaper track and then edit it to your liking.

That's much easier for those, who are not good at drums.

skmanga likes this.