Any Engineers or Engineering students on this board?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by OnTheEdge234, Jan 9, 2017.

1. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

OP hasn't been back since we rained on his parade....

I sure hope he's practicing that guitar :)

Lord knows he's not filling out applications.

2. phugoid

phugoid SS.org Regular

There are more than two possibilities. You can do only one thing, and be totally mediocre at it.

You can also do lots of things, and be really good at all of them. I aspire to be an awesome parent, husband, engineer, musician, and startup founder. Why not? Half the job is just turning off the TV and getting to work on the things you care about.

What I find interesting, as I get older, is that everything sort of converges. You bring your personality to the table, no matter what you're working on. I'm working on an album now, pretty much the same way I tackle engineering problems and parenting. I try new things and see what works.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Not an engineer, but I am a physicist, working with engineers, whilst trying to balance time for family and music.

In my teens, I spent most of my money on music and schooling. In my 20's, I made a good chunk of my income off of my music, and very little off of my science career. An opportunity came for me to make a decent profession off of music, but it required some cooperation among bandmates, who were notoriously uncooperative, so I decided in a snap to push my science career ahead and hold back on my music career. In my 30's, so far, I made a living as a scientist (actually since I was 29), and I've made a little money on the side doing music, but I still have kept that outlet active. For me, it's personal, since, I can't really imagine a life without music.

At this age, it's weird playing out, particularly in festivals and stuff, where there might be nine other bands, and only one of those bands with anyone my age in them. I think most guys who do music in their 20's end up giving it up by their 30th birthday. The few who stick with it either are really good, or just really like doing it, but it gets tough.

Here's why it's tough in your 30's to be in a touring band:

1. Your body heals slower. In my 20's, I could go full beast mode at a show and after a good morning's sleep, be ready for the world. I now take 3-4 days to recover, and I hear it just keeps getting worse.
    2. Your friends won't come out to see you play. Because they will have kids, and because they will also experience #1.
    3. It's tougher to make new friends who will come out to see you play. The older you get, the more kids will think of you as that old guy who needs to give it up to make room for more like them.
    4. Because of #2 and #3, don't expect it to be at all easy to gain a following, and if you do, prepare for that following to be an order of magnitude more fickle than any following you might have had in your 20's.
    5. #4 will feed into #'s 2 and 3, forming a vicious cycle. There will still be rewarding moments, though, which break the cycle, for a while.

If you are fine with all of the above, then by all means, go for music head on, otherwise, maybe balance the two or just keep music as a light hobby.

4. OnTheEdge234

OnTheEdge234 SS.org Regular

Yeah I agree man.

I might just do both.....I aint got much to lose or gain in my life bro.

And yeah I am applying for jobs, and I am preparing for interviews

Very few people seem to get a career in music anyways.

5. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    I went to school to be an engineer and now I'm a senior business planning analyst at a Fortune 500, all I can say is it's always good to have a back up.

That being said, there's no reason why you can't be in a band and be an engineer. You're going to be tired but the only time I ever felt burnt doing this was engineering my bands album. For that year (working full time outside of music) it was awesome to have creative control over every aspect of the music, as it was just me and my buddy. But when you start talking about mixing and recording vocals and drums and reprogramming said drums on top of recording and playing lead guitar and bass, and then having to do all the marketing as well, that's when burn out kicks in.

Do both, especially if you're young and have the time. But try to keep it separate. When my band recorded I had a ton of fun doing live engineering. When my metal band was around I'd record rock and punk and pop. When I joined a stoner band, it was fun to record death metal. And make sure you're open as an engineer. You can't say no, even when it's a dumb idea, figuring out how to make it work and make you happy while keeping the client happy is 99% of the job

6. zeropoint

zeropoint SS.org Regular

I'm a P.Eng in Canada.

I went into engineering after a few weeks of being useless after highschool and really getting that part of my life out of my system. I literally sold my (only, MIJ 7-string ibby) guitar at the start of first year because I knew I wouldn't have time for it.

Several years later I picked it back up again a few years out of school. By that time I was leading the electrical/power distribution department of a design house with a couple dozen staff and junior engineers in training under me, writing my own software utilities on the side to "make sh1t happen" etc. - I bought a couple of guitars but I honestly was working 60+ hour weeks because the overtime was killer and had no time to pick the guitar back up until the most recent economic slowdown because I had some other personal commitments to take care of (wife in vet school, need to help keep life out of her way 'til she's done.).

I did play a bit here and there, but not nearly as much as I'd like to have.

Once the slowdown hit and overtime was a no go, I started to really just draw the line at a normal work day and set aside an hour or so a day to just play. I think that was really the key. I put my own free time aside for a long time in order to get ahead a little bit early on, but once I felt I'd been around long enough to really know my craft and get stable, making time to play was easy.

For the record I have zero passion for engineering - but I love teaching and coaching others, so I get a lot of fulfillment out of a leadership role, oddly. I've never been a people person (at all) until I felt like I was helping them learn the ropes and really understand what they're doing.

7. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

If were in your position I would DEFINITELY get an engineering position so I could eat well and have some financial stability. I can only imagine that a consistently high paying income relieves a LOT of stress.

If your passion is guitar then I would start working in engineering, live conservatively, and use every penny that I could to start a guitar business of some kind. Engineer "better" guitars or something new and unique. Something you WISH guitar companies would do but, don't. Get a CNC machine, get really good at solidworks and operating said CNC machine, and then charge people for custom bodies/necks/hardware/knobs/etc...
    JUST IDEAS lol. Not saying this will actually work but...

Use the money from the engineering job, and all the skills you develop, to start making money on what you love. Start gearing your life towards doing what you love every day and it may eventually become your primary source of income.

But, you have to start somewhere. So get that engineering job :lol:

At least thats my plan. Not sure if there are any flaws or not but, I guess I'll figure it out.

8. zeropoint

zeropoint SS.org Regular

No flaws there, tbh unless you burn yourself out on what you love and stop loving it because it's "work".

The saying is it takes money to make money and that's exactly what it means - you might get to work for yourself one day, and in the mean time, ideally you get the added benefit that if your day job vanishes one day you're not completely buried.

9. OnTheEdge234

10. OnTheEdge234

11. IGC

IGC OCDG

Probably more chance to make a decent living being an engineer who is also a really good guitar player on the side. This is a possibility, I have met an amazing guitar player or two who can hold down a day job. Don't know about engineers but never say never.

12. CircuitalPlacidity

CircuitalPlacidity Carnivorous Jesus

I happen to know a decent guitarist who is an geological engineer. He seems to make time. I also know a drummer who is an engineer and he was one of the best drummers in Houston at the time I met him so it can be done.

13. OnTheEdge234

cool man...