Any Dog Owners? Looking for advice on breeds...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by progmetaldan, Jul 21, 2009.

1. progmetaldan

progmetaldan SS.org Regular

I totally understand the mindset behind rescueing dogs from shelters and support it, but in some instances your lifestyle dictates that you need to know exactly what you're getting in the dog, in regards, to things like size, coat, temperament etc. I went with a purebred Border Collie as this was the perfect dog for my circumstances. However I made sure I did an ENORMOUS amount of research to make sure, so that under no circumstances would I be adding to the amount of dogs that need rescueing. If people did this rather than just going down the pet shop and getting one that looks cute it would go a long way towards helping with this problem. And I also made sure I got him from a very responsible and reputable breeder as they don't just breed indiscriminately to make more money. I had to wait a bit longer, but well worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Good stuff, though i will say that its not the shelters fault that they have animals to put down, blame stupid people for that.

My partner works at a shelter, and the #1 kind of dog that people give up and take to a shelter are mini-foxy/jack russel crossbreeds. Why? Because people are fucking idiots and think that getting a "small dog" will be no work, doing no research, then going to their local pet store and buying the first tiny, cute puppy they find not realising that the dog they're getting is one of the most high-energy, jumping escape artists ever...

I hate people. I have nothing against not getting it from a shelter, as long as people look into what will suit their lifestyle (good work progmetaldan ;)) and don't buy from pet stores.

3. progmetaldan

progmetaldan SS.org Regular

Yeah, would never buy from a petstore.

Interesting you mention the Jack Russells, our first dog was a Jack Russell, and it was a total escape artist, would jump the fence and just ran. One time it got out and injured a neighbours rabbit and another neighbours cat, and we had to get rid of it. However we made sure it ended up on a farm with heaps of running space and a rat problem to help with, so we and it were much happier.

Family then got a Sheltie which was just perfect, we've still got her, and now I've got the Border Collie for myself, liked the Sheltie temperament, just wanted something slightly larger and more energetic for jogging and playing, and they're also just fantastic dogs if given enough training and exercise to keep their keen minds busy.

4. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Oh yeah man, JR's and Mini Foxy's are 2 of the most energetic dogs you'll come across, and pitifully few people are actually aware of that :noplease: It's why so many of them end up at the pound/shelters/animal welfare league/abandoned :(

Pet stores don't fucking help either, you need zero knowledge to work in there, they don't teach you shit, they only ever have ridiculous crossbreeds for sale, they can't tell you jack about them, and if you want proper advice then you have to do the research yourself.

(Mischa has a really big problem with a) pet shops, and b) stupid people :lol:)

The Collies are phenomenally intelligent dogs too man, you'll have an absolute ball as it grows up :) I'm still trying to coax the missus into letting me get some behemoth of a dog (Irish Wolfhound, Neapoltan Mastiff, Great Dane, St. Bernard, Old English Sheepdog etc..) Not having much luck :( She wants another Dachsund :nuts::lol: