Any Dog Owners? Looking for advice on breeds...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by progmetaldan, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

It's illegal in the whole EU, too :yesway:

2. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

^ I'm glad. I can't see any benefit to it, and i like dogs with ears :lol:

3. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

i think in the UK you can not legally crop dog's tail, as i recall one of my ex work colleague having her vet doing it kind of "hush hush"

4. cycloptopus

cycloptopus SS.org Regular

Please adopt! Puppies are available too. I got my mix breed @ about 7months old and she is the greatest dog in the world (aren't everyone's?) But seriously, she is the best dog ever. She is smart, athletic, active, and absolutely the cutest. When we adopted her the foster dog mom said she was a pit-lab mix. Got the gene test which came back all over the place without any pit or lab mention. I don't know if I believe that. She is 45lbs so she isn't as big as what you may be looking for, but she can hang with any dog. We take her to a local dog park where she prefers to play with bigger dogs. She also has a beautiful brindle short hair coat and gets the best compliments from everyone. Ok, end bragging now.

For what you're looking for I would recommend you look into Dogo Argentinos

[​IMG]

A guy at the dog park I go to has 2 of them and they are some of the most beautiful, best behaved dogs and have great personalities. Though that may be a result of his excellent training. They get from 80-100lbs and are an offshoot of a Mastiff.

If I were to get a larger dog that's what I'd get. But please look into adoption. Mix breeds can be some of the best dogs out there and there are SO many dogs to be adopted.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

There is a slight benefit in sound detection and reaction time in tracking sounds, so it's somewhat useful if you're actually getting a dog trained as a guard or attack dog. HOWEVER for personal ownership it's nothing but cruel to do to the dog and serves no purpose other than making an owner feel they look cooler.

The adoption contract for our dobe actually forbid ear cropping (which I had no problem with as her floppy ears are cute :wub:). Her tail is docked, which was done before the rescue got her litter in, but apparently in dobes their tails are very prone to breaking so there is a practical reason to get that done.

6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Dobermans are probably the best dogs I've ever owned, and will own them for the rest of my life.

Loyal, intelligent, playful, energetic, good with people, and have a bad reputation that is very undeserving.

7. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

:agreed: I've met quite a few awesome dobies, awesome dogs when trained by someone who isn't a moron. :yesway:

8. Daemoniac

^ So true. Lovely dogs :yesway:

Also, +1 to the adoption thing.

My little Dachsund is from the Animal Welfare League, as are my 2 cats :wub: There are some really beautiful dogs there all the time, most of whom haven't had a nice start to life, so not only is it just a great thing to adopt one, but they will love you in return infinitely for taking them, and showing them a little bit of love :yesway::)

9. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I've never owned a dog because my mom's allergic to them, but I've always been a dog lover and as soon as I have my own place that's big enough, I'm getting a Great Dane. They're loyal and protective and have a really great temperament and they do relatively well with an active lifestyle even though they tend to appear lazy because of their low metabolism. They are prone to a few health issues, but the're just so damn cute, especially with harlequin coat/colouring.

People tend to crop the ears on Great Danes as well, which I just don't get... I'd never put an animal through that, plus they just look so much better with their natural ears.

:wub:
    [​IMG]

10. Daemoniac

Totally :D

The missus wants a Great Dane someday. I do too, but i'm set on an Irish Wolfhound :wub: I loves me some scruffy dogs :lol:

11. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Yup, that is the key. It really is with any dog. Dogs really like having a job to do, and consistency is key when training.

We constantly try to work with our dogs with obedience, and it is really wonderful to have two well trained dogs sharing our house with us.

12. progmetaldan

progmetaldan SS.org Regular

Hey folks, thought I'd give an update, thanks for all the advice, I am now the proud new owner of a Border Collie pup, beautiful little fellow he is, and so well behaved (so far...) :yesway:

13. Daemoniac

Very nice man :)

Border Collie's are beautiful little things, and can be trained AMAZINGLY. Pics or it didn't happen :squint:

14. progmetaldan

progmetaldan SS.org Regular

15. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Very cute doggy!
    Congrats :wavey:
    EDIT: I'd like to hug him :lol:

16. Daemoniac

:wub::wub:

17. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Fluffy!!! :wub:

18. White Cluster

White Cluster Gives Life Meaning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    May I suggest a name?:lol:

19. DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 Schecter Whore

Cute dog.

As far as breeds go, our dog is a lab/German shepard mix...

[​IMG]

He is a great dog. Smart, loyal, and well behaved. If I had a choice, I would get this mix again, or maybe a full Shepard. I will always get a dog from a shelter though, as I don't believe in buying from breeders when innocent animals get killed at these shelters daily.

20. lava

lava Gelatinous

There is no better dog on earth than a mutt. That's all I'll ever get for the rest of my life. Here's mine:

[​IMG]