Any Dog Owners? Looking for advice on breeds...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by progmetaldan, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

:lol: After looking at all these big dogs, this is what we ended up with:

[​IMG]

2. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

@demoniac : let me ask you this : who had the overall say for the dog?:scratch:

3. Daemoniac

The missus works at the Animal Welfare League (The pound...) and they had a little 5 year old Mini-Dachsund in, and she fell in love with it. I won't lie, she's a beautiful little dog :wub: But i want a big-ass dog now :lol:

4. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

I don't think it's shoped. Minimum height is 75 cm (to the shoulders, not the head) for males and the normal weight is 150 to 250 pounds. But there are plenty bigger mastiffs known from the media. maybe that's zorba who weighs 343 pounds and stands 37 inches :eek:
    Either way, they'r fucking huge :yesway:

5. Daemoniac

^ Pretty sure Zorba was an English Mastiff, not a neapolitan, and i'm reasonably sure that pic is of a Neapolitan.

6. ralphy1976

awww...i know where you are coming from !!!!!

i am seriously impressed and schoked really!! that dog is just "unreal" really!!

7. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

Big dogs, active, low grooming =?
    I say get a Japanese Akita just cause they look cool:google:

8. ralphy1976

my cousin has got a japanese Akita, and apparently they do have a bit of a "temper"

it seems that hers decide very quickly she would not listen to her but solely her husband, and basically there is nothing she can do. According to the breeder they do such things very quickly.

Her dog is beautiful though, it is just funny to see her being ignore by her own dog!!!

9. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

They just remind me so much of little kids, kinda sticking to one parent more favorably. :D

10. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Although you said you're pretty much set on a breed, I'd like to suggest Boxers as well. I've had two of them myself and my brother has two currently so I've pretty much grown up with them. ABSOLUTELY love the dogs! :wub: I have not met one yet that didn't have an awesome personality and they do fit into the items you were looking for: very athletic/energetic, they can be fairly big as long as you don't pick the runt and they have short hair so there isn't much grooming needed either. :yesway:

Plus, I love the way they look! They look killer both with floppy ears or with their ears cropped (they look so regal that way but I do feel bad putting a dog through that process since it can be painful/annoying for them... :():

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awwwwww!!! :wub:

Also, not a big dog, but for something similar but smaller I recommend the Boston Terrier. They are REALLY energetic and seem to have great personalities as well. :yesway: Once I'm settled in my house I'm finally getting my own dog and it will either be a boston or a boxer, the hard part will be deciding which one to get! :rofl:

11. ralphy1976

my sister was looking at boxers..and then she rescued / rehoused a newfoundland which my littel niece uses as a poney!!!!

12. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Honestly if the dog population is anything in South Adelaide like it is in the US, get a dog from a shelter or if you HAVE to have a specific breed for some reason go to a breed-specific rescue.

The number of people buying dogs from breeders and pet stores every day while thousands of awesome pups are being killed in shelters makes me want to smack somebody when I think about it.

With that said your biggest challenge may be making sure your older dog gets along with the new one. Sometimes this can take some time and effort to work out, while sometimes it goes off without a hitch.

13. ralphy1976

i do second technomancer's idea here. Although having a pup is great, older dog or even pups from shelters shouldn't be overlooked.

maybe they may not have the "pedigree" you are after but my 100% pedigree West highland terrier was not exactly 100% without any illness due to "family breeding" and alike.

man i want a dog...but i live in a flat!!

14. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

+100 :yesway: When I go to purchase mine, I will be checking out shelters first. :agreed:

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Getting a puppy isn't even hard, you just need to look around and be patient. Our lab mix was from one of four litters a shelter a 1/2 hour from here had in the spring... and we got our pure bred blue doberman as a puppy from a local doberman rescue.

Actually our first lab mix we had a couple years ago we got as a puppy as well, she was surrendered at 8 weeks old.

16. Daemoniac

:nono:

So far as i'm aware, and i'll double check with the missus (vet nurse), there's absolutely no practical or medical reason to crop a dogs ears. It's pain for the sake of looking like you own a fighting dog.

17. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

No, that's not quite it at all. They are usually done for show (as in Westminster show dogs) actually, not for "fighting dogs" .... that's a ridiculous stereotype and if you actually believe that you are quite misinformed. :2c: Like I said, there's not medical "benefit" to cropping the ears and I don't know that I would do it to *my* dog, but the last boxer that my dad owned had his ears cropped and he looked very regal, extremely alert. :shrug: It was not done to make him appear to be a fighting dog.... that's pretty bizarre....

18. Daemoniac

^ I guess i was thinking more of Pitbulls, cos i have seen quite a few around here with their ears cropped, and owned by people i wouldnt want to know, so my apologies for the sweeping generalisation. My point is though, that it's a pretty cruel thing to do to any animal for the sake of a look :shrug:

19. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Right, but if you had read my whole post the first time around:

I don't neccessarily agree with the process either. :shrug: I said I liked the way boxers look with their ears cropped (again, boxers aren't bred for fighting, they're lovers! :wub: :lol:) but I probably wouldn't do that to my dog personally. ;) Many dog owners have their dog's ears cropped but I would venture to say the vast majority are not even "fight dog" breeds since you commonly see them on boxers, boston terriers etc. which are not dogs that are normally bred with that intent in mind. :2c:

20. Daemoniac

^ My apologies dude, my observational skills are fucked today :nuts:

I couldn't do it to any animal personally, especially not a dog, it's just too cruel IMO (and in Australia, even docking tails is illegal).