Any AMT C2 users?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Yeah, it wasn't until several years later that I found out about the concept of 'boosting with an od pedal'. I thought overdrive pedals like the SD-1 & Tube Screamers were just for blues or country players. I figured that if you had a 'high gain' amp, putting something like that in front would just create crazy amounts of hiss & feedback. Looking back, I wish I had've tried it out.

Also, I'm sure for a lot of people there is plenty of gain there but I normally use a hell of a lot.. lol... As in fear Factory/Rammstein/Machine Head levels and on it's own, the V-Twin just wasn't that heavy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Welp. Ended up buying an R2. Popped up on my Reverb feed. Hoping it works out.

Spinedriver likes this.
  3. Spinedriver

Let's hope you get it soon so you can report in. :yesway:

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

I
    USPS is saying Saturday... So I'll let you guys know how it sounds when I get it next Wednesday.
    :lol:

5. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

If were talking about the same line of pedals i used to own the amt e2 which i believe is supposed to be an "engl powerball" sounds pretty good as long as you use it like a preamp in front of a power amp. Pretty worth it if you have a loud tube amp with an fx loop that has a shitty distortion

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm using the P2 so I'm aware of how good they can sound. Was just curious about this particular pedal

7. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I used a SS-11B for years, great sounding preamp, that's the reason for the cost, it's not a pedal like a Boss or something, it's a full blown high voltage tube dual 12AX7 preamp that happens to be integrated into the footswitch. It's not made to run in front of an amp, but into a power amp (or fx return). So, in those terms, when you look at it in those terms and compare it to something comparable, like an Engl 530 or something, it's not a bad deal.

Spinedriver likes this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

What would you compare the tone of the 11B to? What amp?

9. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

That's kinda tough, I haven't used real amps in years but if i had to say, the clean is really nice, kinda Fender-y, I think it is designed to be similar to a twin. The crunch and lead channels are somewhere between the Ms (Marshall and Mesa), can't say it sounds exactly like either, it does have a mid shift on the gain channels, I think it tries to emulate both, but I more looked for a tone that worked for me and didn't try to emulate any exact tones, there are modelers that do that better. It does take boost pedals well, actually responds very much like an amp. Of course, a lot of it depends on what power amp and speakers you are running through or what you are running into if you are going direct. I used the speaker sim running direct with pedals to a PA and in-ears and it was good, probably do better to use the IRs of your choice if you are recording direct though.

Sorry if that is kinda vague.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

So I got the R2

TBH, I think it sounds better than the Triple Recto I had. :lol: Really pleased with it. Does that massive wall of sound rhythm tone I want, and takes a boost really well.

11. Spinedriver

Doesn't count if there aren't any clipzzzz. :nutkick:

Smoked Porter likes this.
  12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

How would you compare the P2 and R2? I always thought the upper mids of the P2 might be nice, but not at the expense of a big chuggy low end.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  13. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I had the P2 and R2 at the same time and preferred the R2. The low end of the R2 won me over.

However, I preferred the gain structure of the P2 and K2 quite a bit. They both sounded grittier/crunchier compared to the R2. Not by a whole lot though

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah the R2 has more of that satisfying chug factor. It's just got the "chunk" I've been looking for and stays a LOT more defined than my Triple Recto did. Reminds me of an old 2CH Dual Recto, Recto Reborn, or a Road King.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

I've been playing it a bit more, and honestly I find the R2 plenty crunchy. It's just not as piercing as the P2. It's crunchy and tight in the right way, IMO, and chugs amazingly. Seriously, if you love to palm mute, this is your pedal. :lol:

Also I find it handles a boost better than the P2, too. I boosted it with my TS5 and it just siiings. Need to use my custom OD pedal on it as well.

And the low end is just perfect. It's not overbearing, but it has this massiveness that makes it sit in the mix perfectly.

SERIOUSLY thinking about ditching my P2 in favor for this. I'm thinking about keeping the P2 for more modern sounds, but the R2 with a boost will probably be fine.

mnemonic, Gmork and Spinedriver like this.
  16. Spinedriver

I dunno... having more than 2 pedals AT once ??? That's just crazy talk... :lol:
    Seriously though, if you like the P2, just keep in in the chain so you can have a little 'diversity' with your tone. With some stuff, use the R2 & then switch to the P2 for others. This is why people buy modellers, the ability to switch to different tones 'on the fly' without having to manually turn knobs on an amp.

It's cool that you really dig it. I'm getting some decent results with the GT-1 as well (as long as I run it through the IRs in my GSP). :yesway:

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

I like having money for other gear. :fawk: Thinking about ditching two of my guitars and some pedals to fund a guitar.

But the core tone of the P2 and R2 are so similar, that I think I can tweak the R2 to sound close to the P2, but not vice versa oddly. The R2 just has that midrange push the P2 doesn't have and can't dial in with EQing, while I can dial out some of the mids to make the R2 sound like the P2.

18. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I ditched my P2 as well. The R2 is my core sound now

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah, the more I play with it, the more I'm loving it over my P2. I'll give it a few more days, but I think the R2 is staying. I thought the R2 wouldn't be tight enough, but it's plenty tight, cutting, and chuggy for my taste.

Spinedriver likes this.