AntonioTsai handcrafted inlaid 7 String

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Adam, Apr 28, 2006.

1. David

David je t'aime Contributor

LISTEN;)

EMG's have no tone. EMG's plus some good settings, or a nice amp, sound amazing. Rusty doesn't get his incredible tone from them EMG's, he gets his punctuality from them, but not the majority of his tone.

And to "yngwie," I was just looking at your gear... and seeing that you're not really finding yourself there, more or so finding the signature models and what others "play" (even though they don't use those guitars). I myself, once dug myself into an area like that, and I ended up wasting a lot of money. Whenever I have the chance to tell someone to think otherwise, I will, becuase that was one mistake I will never live down. Gibson LP + lots of boss pedals = lots of wasted money.:noway: I'm harsh and to the point because I care.:yesway:

2. nyck

nyck blah!

So you're saying good passives such as dimarzios+a mediocre amp=good tone?

Little confuzzled at what you're trying to say.

3. David

now your confuzing me.:lol:

4. Adam

Adam Contributor

Look, I don't really see the problem with using signature gear, if its just for fun, I'm not gonna use any of my malmsteen gear for gigs and that, its just for home use, the overdrive and all my effects were meant for my 6 string, I'm buying new non signature effects, ect... for my 7 string, as for my 7 string itself, I had the option to get a RG7620 or an RG7420 but I chose this one instead because it was different from what Rusty, Francesco and most others use, and as for the EMG's for my 7 string I was just considering them because I thought they were the best for shred, but I still might get a Dimarzio Air Norton for the neck and maybe a Dimarzio EVO 7 for the bridge.

I'm aware of his setup, he has alot of rack effects and so forth, but I don't want to emulate him, if I wanted to I would have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars for what he uses, but like I said I'm not trying to emulate him or anyone else. I like the punctuality from the EMG's, and I will mix that in with my own setup, unless of course you can recommend P/U's(preferably Dimarzio's) good for shredding and retaining crystal clear notes.
    Because like I said before I don't like the idea of cutting up my flame maple top on my new guitar, and having to replace batteries for the P/U's.

5. evil

evil vile

Nice axe, but let me say that EMG's are known for their tone. You say they are known for their clarity and harmonics, but these are characteristics of tone.

You are all welcome to dislike the tone of an EMG pickup through a solid state amp, but I tell you, it's tight and brutal like no other pickup + amp combo. I dare you to get as tight or brutal a sound with a Seymore Duncan through a Vox or even a Dimarzio through a Marshall. :fawk:

6. Adam

Adam Contributor

How would EMG's sound through a solidstate Marshall half stack?

7. evil

evil vile

I've never been a huge fan of Marshalls, so I never tried them with EMG's. I'd like to, though. I'll get back with you in a few days about that one.

8. Adam

Adam Contributor

K, thanx that would be great :yesway:

9. Shaman

Shaman SS.org Regular

I have EMG's in my Gibson SG, and I wouldn't trade them for anything!

They make my amp sound huge. The tone is very clean, focused and very tight.

And they are very versatile. There's a lot you can do with the volume knob when you have EMG's.

It's OK David if you don't like EMG's, but stop making a total ass of yourself by telling that if you like EMG's, you don't know what tone is...

Yes, it seems to be a popular opinion to dislike EMG's, but well, A LOT of people love 'em.

I have a a Dimarzio Evo7 in my Ibanez, because EMG's still aren't the only pickups in the world. Dimarzio, Duncan, EMG, they all make great pickups, so that's why I went for Dimarzio. What I'm sayng is, you don't have to hate EMG's if you like Dimarzio, or hate Duncan's if you like EMG's etc. I love the sound of the Evo7 in my Ibby and I love the way the EMG's sound in my Gibson, so...

Apples and oranges. Some people like 'em and some don't.

10. David

hey shaman... I'll just quote what I already said again.

And as for you:
    please read what I posted and quoted for myself, above...

From your first post:

The way you can really see tone, is to run a pickup, through a clean channel, and play chords/acoustics. When I had my 707's, or heard 81-7's... it was really harsh, and stale. Add in some nice effects and settings, and it was alright. As for the shred part of it, all you really had to do was dial in your settings nicely, and you were ready to go. Very punchy and affective.

[action=David]is the all-out-ss.org advocator of shred...[/action]

And I know I sound like I'm being a hard-ass right now, but it's a hard-ass with love!:)

11. Shaman

Shaman SS.org Regular

Yeah, I agree with the fact, that a pickup can't save a crappy setup. But well, a Dimarzio or a Duncan can't save it either.

So you really need a good rig first and foremost. Then add the pickups to give you that last missing piece of tone.

And even in my opinion, EMG's work better with tube amps than SS ones.

It's all hard-ass love around here man :lol:

12. David

lol! the way you arranged the hard-ass love cracked me up.:lol: :lol: :lol: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

and yeah, EMG's + tube amp = gold.

13. Adam

Adam Contributor

So if I continue to use my solidstate(I don't hate tubes, I just can't dish out $ for a tube stack at the moment), Dimarzio's would be the best then? Does this combo sound right (keeping in mind that I am looking for the best P/U's for shred) Dimarzio Air Norton 7 for the neck, and EVO7 for the bridge?

14. David

That'd be a good combo. Not so sure on how well it'd work for punchy sound, because I haven't used them much. Best way to know, is to go try them all out, which could be hard since most stores don't carry sevens, haha. Especially if you don't want to reroute your guitar for the EMG's.

I'm using a Carvin TS100 poweramp which is tubes with a Line 6 412 cab. The TS100 was only $500, and it's got some tubeage on it.:yesway: If you're looking for an excessively over-priced rediculous tube head... yeah those will be expensive.:lol: BUT, you can always look into cheaper, more affordable, yet same sound quality power amplifiers that use tubes if you prefer that sound.:yesway:

15. Adam

Adam Contributor

Unfortunetly, I cant try them out, cuz I'm stuck in a small town, so I usually end up reading hundreds of reviews. I guess the EMG's were a pretty bad idea, but live and learn, as for amplifiers I usually stick to Marshall, I tried out a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and I'm probably going to buy that, the only other one that came close was a Crate tube stack, it was cheaper but I didn't like the sound as much as the Marshall's.

16. David

with Marshall's, you usually end up paying a lot of money for just the fact that it says Marshall on it.:lol:

The Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 has 4 ECC83 preamp tubes, and 4 EL34 power tubes. My Carvin TS100, has 4 12AX7 preamp tubes, 4 EL34's power tubes. In the Carvin, the EL34's, (which are the same as in the Marshall), can be replaced with 6L6, or 5881 tubes. The 6L6's are the in amps such as the Mesa 2:90. One of the people I play with has that same Marshall, and when I emulate the preamp of one on my POD, with the poweramp, it sounds exactly like his... except for the fact that it was $100 cheaper for my whole rig (poweramp, cab, effects board), than it was for just his head.

I'm just being a dick as always;), trying to keep the doors open to you. I thought a head was the only way to go, until Shannon enlightened me... in which case I then bought my TS100. Shannon is god.:bowdown: :yesway: :lol:

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

FWIW, Rusty recorded his debut with a solid-state Fender preamp... ;)

18. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

yeah Drew it was called the Fender M-80 a rare find that really sounds good for shred but for chords it's too thin..that made it in Combo and one space rack version....Jason Becker used it alot too...same for marty friedman with his marshalls at the time...

But as far as EMG's you can put them into a Base ball bat and they will sound the same that's why they are A C T I V E!!!..Passive absorb the frequency's of a wooden instrument..I have been working with a Pickup manufacturer for over a year now and it takes alot to make a pickup (in my or your own desire)...i Hope to have a final product by sept 2006... I find that Active pickups work great with Gain-y distortion and with Bass Guitar...but in the tone of things they are very brittle and treble-y...I find that Passive pickups are more reponsive to playing...and Tube amps love passive pickups....

19. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Please remember that this is the Gear Reviews forums guys.

20. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor