AntonioTsai handcrafted inlaid 7 String

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Adam, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Adam

Adam Contributor

It's actually an amazing guitar; very solidly built (it was handbuilt), best I've tried other than the UV and K-7. It's made of solid alder, has a real flame maple top, 24 fret quarter-sawn maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, frets are perfect (no wear, crookedness, or anything else wrong), real mother of pearl and abalone inlays, has a 16 inch radius neck with scalloped neck joint, contoured heel (very comfortable neck!), Original style Floyd Rose Tremelo(which stays in tune perfectly), I've taken it apart checked everything and there are no flaws, the P/U's are OK but not great, very muddy with neck P/U, but I’m going to replace them with EMG 707’s anyways so I can get Rusty Cooley’s and Francesco Fareri’s tone. Other than the P/U's nothing is wrong with it, I only got it for $400, this guitar could have easily sold well over a $1000.
    If you want to see a pic check my profile for it, because I don't know how to upload pics's yet.

2. nyck

nyck blah!

Hmmmmmmm.... :confused:

3. Adam

Adam Contributor

?

4. David

David je t'aime Contributor

Well, Rusty's tone comes majorly impart by the fact that he's using a Bogner Uberschall, and a Rocktron Prophesy, along with the Mesa cabs. To me... EMG's have no tone at all, but are nicely accented when use with the right amp/effects/settings.:yesway:

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

No tone at all?!

6. Adam

Adam Contributor

I don't know, EMG 707's are supposed to have a bright tone right?, but it doesent really matter to me, as long as I get these peice of S#$@$ P/U's out. But Francesco used Marshalls for his early stuff. I have my amp and effects setup so that I can almost replicate their tone, I just thought the EMG's would have just helped.

7. nyck

nyck blah!

I've heard mixed things about these guitars. I don't know what to think anymore about them.

Also, the trem appears to be a licensed, not original floyd.

8. Adam

Adam Contributor

Trust me they are actually of good quality, they are not like those chinease ripoffs, but they are no Universe.

9. nyck

nyck blah!

Some of them looks pretty sweet actually. I've considered them a few times, but the shipping cost is what kills me.

10. Adam

Adam Contributor

Yeah $100 plus the $10 Shipping insurance they neglect to mention and the $45 customs fee. Like I said before the only thing wrong with it is the P/U's.

11. David

David je t'aime Contributor

ok... I'll change what I said. EMG's have pretty much no "substance." I've had 707's and I'm using Blaze's right now. I prefer the Blazes, becuase they give me that substance, but I think I could get a good chunky metal tone with the 707's and my POD Xt Live.

And dude, don't try and replicate ze masters.... try to be a master... that's just my 1/50th of a dollar though. Make music your own journey rather than follow someone else's.:):yesway:

bostjan likes this.
  12. Adam

Adam Contributor

I know, I know, but I just like playing their songs for fun it's nice to get the sound/tone dead on when your covering it, you have to agree with me on that right?
    The music I make up isn't like theirs but it is still shred, I just can't make up a song with 7 minutes plus of shred like they can. My signature sound is kind of the best of both worlds thing, so it's different from them.......kinda.

13. bostjan

Here here! ;)

There's only one Rusty.

Not that I'm assuming that's what he's going for, but just don't go too far after someone else's tone.

As for EMG's, they do have less color than passives, but it gives you greater tone control and fidelity. But for an active pickup, they color the sound quite a bit. They're kind of like the middle ground. I've played some jazz boxes with Bartolinis and tried Shadow actives, and all I can say is that they offer a very clear, almost acoustic tone.

14. nyck

nyck blah!

How's the hard case that comes with it?

Is the neck similar to Ibanez or what?

15. Adam

Adam Contributor

I originally wanted the EMG's because they the best for harmonics and artificial harmonics from what I hear, but the idea of carving up my new guitars flame maple makes me cringe a bit, so I actually might end up going for Dimarzio's.

The hard case is good, comes with a lock and key, weird design that you dont see in the pics, but the case is a bit too big so the guitar moves around inside.
    As for the neck it is very similar to the ibanez 7620 or Prestige 1527, exept that those 2 have necks with 17 inch radius, and this neck has 16, so its a bit flatter, but still amazing I can shred on it so its good enough for that. And it doesent feel like a baseball bat.

16. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Actually, a 17"-radius is flatter than a 16"-radius.

17. Adam

Adam Contributor

Whoops, sorry.

18. guitarjitsumaster

guitarjitsumaster seven times seven

The EMG's are very articulate. Thats why rusty likes them. The notes standout individualy very well and stay focused in high gain situations. I dont understand why people say EMG's have no tone. Its just that they have one tone "rip your face off distortion" and no other pickups IMO do it better than EMG's. Listen to rusty's new tracks with outworld. His 707's and 81-7s scream!

People who balk at the EMG's are typically those who are more versatility oriented and want pickups that can do many things decently. Rather then a pickup that is best suited to Molten Metal only for the most part. You can see this in who those who play EMG's, Metallica, slayer, Deftones, fear factory, Zakk Wylde, Judas priest, Nevermore, These guys are looking for this one tone that EMG does well. PS. I know some of these guys dont use EMG's at all times.

19. Adam

Adam Contributor

So, I guess if I want my notes to be heard while playing arpeggios or fast shred like Rusty I should stick to buying the EMG's? becase I'm pretty much just into shred and I don't require alot of versatility.

20. bostjan

If you want a hot, molten tone with tons of focus, get the EMG's.

I like DiMarzios when I don't feel like performing surgery or having surgery done, otherwise, I go for EMG's. They are hardcore, hi-fi, high output, wide band pickups. :)