Anti Censorship Day

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by CapinCripes, Nov 16, 2011.

1. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

2. Blind Theory

Blind Theory SS.org Regular

Censorship can suck a dick.

3. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

Totally absurd bill that defies between 4 and 7 amendments.

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

What's SOPA and how will it affect my day to day life?

I'm not trying to be controversial in any way, but there always seems to be something Americans are up in arms about and whether it goes through or not I never really notice much of a difference.

5. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Fuck cunts

6. Konfyouzd

Are you proposing that we have sex with vaginas or that we pay no mind to those we designate as cunts? Or... All of the above?

7. Randy

Shitting dick nipples

8. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Tourettes?

:lol:

9. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

I'd link and explain for Randy, but I like not being banned.

Go ahead and google that with safe search off if you really want to know.
    Or check
    encyclopediadramatica

10. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Well, I should have guessed it was those guys...

11. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

ignore this

12. drgamble

drgamble SS.org Regular

The SOPA act is aimed at ending music piracy. I grew up Ina time when musicians could actually make a living selling albums, but now that everyone would rather steal music, it has become almost impossible. Meanwhile, the googles, youtubes, bit torrents, etc. of the world are making more money off of the musicians than musicians make themselves. Something has to be done, or all we will have is guys making albums in their bedrooms. If you think that you can make a living playing something other than pop music or classic rock, you are in for a rude awakening when reality slaps you in the face. In the pre-piracy days, guys could retire after a couple albums. If SOPA isn't at least a start, then how would you suggest stopping piracy?

13. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Don't disagree by any means, but bills especially ones like this are have reprecussions that echo further than what they are designated for. It gives them the option of censorship when one thing goes wrong or isn't placed properly, etc. It'd be like if someone told you to wait in line and if you stepped even just a little bit off the line then you go to jail or in this case if a link that is "questionable" is on a page or didn't get proper paperwork bye bye website which can lead to political censorship.

[EDIT] keyword is can not will. It could be the best bill ever and have no negative reprecussions I personally don't trust the government with power.

On another note I kinda want it to pass and then see profits stay the same so that we can finally end the debate that piracy kills profit because people who do shit like that never intended to pay for it to begin with. Then maybe they will repeal it and walk away looking stupid...

14. drgamble

drgamble SS.org Regular

I haven't read the bill and most probably haven't, but I know that the media has put out a lot on both sides of the issue. As a member of ASCAP, I have to lean towards my association. If a website gets blocked because of the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, it's not really censorship, it is the penalty for infringing on other people's rights to get paid for the use of their material. Professionals dedicate their lives to making the music that we all enjoy the most and should be compensated so that they can continue to create what we love most.

15. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

my problem is not with the concept but how it is carried out. under S.O.P.A any website with any unauthorized content posted by any user can be made so that no american can go on to it. How many un-official youtube videos have been linked on sevenstring.org? under S.O.P.A even if the answer was only 1 this site could be shut off for all americans and the user who linked the video could be held personally liable. what i am saying is that it is like using a flame thrower where one small squirt of ant spray would do the job, the end has to justify the means. you get rid of piracy by getting rid of pirates not by getting rid of entire communities, you cannot simply say fuck it if this community has one pirate you are all going to suffer for his crime.

on the subject of music the current laws that regulate how radio stations pay royalties for the songs they play is a racket. as anyone who has ever run a radio station knows to run your station legally you have to pay an orginization known as SoundExchange a rate for the music you play under the guise that they will then distribute the royalties to the artists whose music you play on their station. the problem with this is SoundExchange gives you two choices. these two choices being you can pay one lower rate and have to list all of the songs you play, every time you play them and how many people were listening everytime you've played them (damn near impossible) so that SoundExchange knows who to give the money to, or you can pay a higher rate so that you don't have to list anything. the question then becomes how do they know who to give the money to? they don't, so they don't. it becomes essentially a case of lawsuit insurance. TL;DR: the existing copyright laws don't protect musicians and who is to say that the new ones will be any better?

Also: sorry if i come off as a dick i am rather passionate about constitutional issues especially pertaining to the first amendment, any dickishness was not directed at anyone in particular.

16. daemon barbeque

daemon barbeque Banned

17. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

No, you grew up in an era where the technology wasnt available. If it was then, people would be pirating as much as they are now. People haven't changed, technology has.

Again not true, just because pop, rap, country, classic rock, etc (or what's generally classified as mainstream music) pulls the most air time via radio or tv, doesnt mean thats the only way to make a living off of music.

18. Konfyouzd

When were you ever really able to make a living off something that wasn't in demand? Pop, rap and the like are "in demand" more so than other genres of music. :shrug:

Noble idea, but the planned execution might need some tinkering.

19. Randy

......... ......

20. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

i hate where these threads lead they always fall off the tracks :lol:

Good reads though nonetheless

What I can add to this debate is that the only path guaranteed is the one taken anything else is just speculation and therefore unprovable. Record companies use the speculative arguments as fact, I hear people talk about the old days vs the new days and like the poster before me said lots of variable are different, but the people are generally the same. The 50's were not like the show Leave it to Beaver. My point is speculation is pointless it is an unwinable and unloseable argument that gets people nowhere. /rant