Another Vs. Thread: Mayo/Suhr/KxK/etc.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by HexOmega13, Feb 21, 2018.

1. HexOmega13

HexOmega13 Getcha' Pull!

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've sold off most of my gear in hopes of restructuring my setup. Went from multiple tube heads, endless pedals and 9 guitars down to 2 guitars and a Kemper...but I need a 7 stringer to complete the stable. This will be my first "super nice" guitar and I've almost hit my target savings for this purchase so it's time to do research.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help with this exciting decision \m/

Budget: $3,500.00 USD or less.

Guitars being considered: Mayones, KxK and Suhr. If you have any other recommendations or something to offer up give a holler.

Things I don't like: terms, active pickups and flying V's (i find them uncomfortable, they look cool though).

Can't wait to hear what y'all think, thanks again!

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Suhr because it sounds like you dont know what you want and they have production models. You can try one before you buy it.

HexOmega13, AkiraSpectrum and Ebony like this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:agreed:

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

well if we're talking production models, then go try some high end schecters/ESPs at a music store and see what aspects you like. Suhr makes really good stuff from what I've heard, but if you want a longer scale length than 25.5" they don't offer that. The only reason to go custom is if you can't find what you want in a production guitar.

I went custom because nobody was making multiscale 8 string explorers or teles :lol:

USMarine75 likes this.
  5. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Can do the same with Mayo

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  6. budda

When it comes to resale, more people know suhr compared to mayones, no matter how nice the mayones is. Thats a wider market to sell to if he decides to custom order something later.

7. HexOmega13

HexOmega13 Getcha' Pull!

All very good points, thank you. I guess I should have mentioned that I've played plenty of Suhrs and a few Mayo's and have found both to be awesome guitars but it's hard for me to think what they might be like post-honeymoon phase in the long run. I've only played one KxK and it was an 8 string which was not really for me because of the 8th string.

I know these are all excellent tools of the trade but I guess I just wanted to hear what y'all had to say about them having spent time with them.

8. budda

If you think you may even potentially sell the guitar later on, buy a Suhr. The other two hold pretty much no weight outside of guitar forums such as this.

HexOmega13 likes this.
  9. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Please dont buy your guitars based on the potential resales values. thats is so wrong and you might buy something dont really want because resales is strong or miss the best guitars brands because the resales isnt good. The KxKs are good i think but I never play one. Nobody says bad things. the Suhrs arent the same since the new owner in last few years but they are good still. Maybe consider the EBMM or Mayones. For $3500 you can new order the Regius with BKPs and Hannes bridges. I think they are $2800 brand new w no custom addition. Why does everyone think Mayones has to be a $5000 custom? Now you get me thinking about Mayones again but I cant even afford the $2800 :(

HexOmega13 likes this.
  10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

How so? Suhrs haven't changed at all.

11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yep and neither has ownership of the company... the equity buyout deal never went through and even if it had John Suhr was still going to be running things with the same staff.

12. budda

By all means, buy a guitar you will lose half the value of the moment it ships. You're on a forum, Im making a bet it will get sold on eventually. Im definitely not speaking from experience.

The main reason i recommended a suhr is because they have lots of dealers (might get a better deal in a different state) and its easy to try out most of their line.

13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

And pretty much universally appreciated as great instruments, and probably shipped 10k guitars by now? I agree, and I think the only reason anyone could give for not recommending Suhr is simply if they don't offer the desired specs -- or if you're after a reasonably-priced singlecut.

14. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

Yeah... trust me on this one, as someone who has bought and sold Mayones recently. As a whole, they do NOT hold their value. Not that this should deter someone from buying one they are fantastic guitars, but not an "investment" per se.

I agree with KB... heck you could spec a ridiculous ESP USA Custom for that price.

https://www.espguitars.com/products/19858-m-7-hardtail/product_designs/new

Or look into Aristides. I can't speak personally to them, but I have yet to hear anything negative. There's tons of people on IG, FB, and around these parts that actually have one that you can ask questions.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  15. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Every new Suhr I see has the same new inlay. I thought this was a part of the change in ownerships. I guess i was wrong. Someone told me the guitar wasnt as good as the older Suhr they owned. Maybe it was just this one person opinion. I still say never purchase guitars based on the resale values. Do you do the same with your car?

16. Might-is-Right

Might-is-Right As a Lion...

I have played just about everything (except maybe Blackmachines) and I'd put KxK against anything out there. Especially for the price they can be had used right now.