Another rash of fanned fret/multi-scale questions!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Revolution777, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Revolution777

Revolution777 Active Member

I've gone through a good portion of the fanned fret threads but there are a couple of lingering questions I have.
    1) Does anybody find that their intonation is better with a multi-scale? Whether it actually is or not, does anybody find that it sounds more in tune?
    2) What fret does everyone prefer for their "straight fret"? I'm sure everyone finds they have a personal preference but what I'm shooting at is whether or not the common 7 or 9 straight fret is most comfortable for the general masses.
    3) Lastly, has anybody tried or heard of a multi-radiused fretboard that also is multi-scale? I know having the mixed radius fretboard on a standard fretted guitar tends to be more comfortable but I was wondering if that would just be too akward.

Thanks to everyone who replies! :bowdown:

2. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

1) A multiscale fingerboard has nothing to do about the intonation of the instrument...

2) I'm sure a maker who offers that option would be happy to make a compound radius fingerboard, thats personal preference and even if somebody posts ''yes it feels better'' it wont mean anything because I'm not sure both of you dont have the same hands and the same way of playing the instrument...... :yesway:

3. Revolution777

I've heard mention before on a couple of forums and websites that by having the varying scale lengths that the intonation becomes less of a problem. I believe its probably the association with a piano being better in tune from the bass strings be stretched over a longer length while the treble strings are over a shorter length. I was simply wondering if anyone has checked this before.

4. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

It's accepted that longer scale instruments are able to intonate more accurately than shorter scale instruments. Therefore, you could say that fanned fret systems do contribute to intonation improvement, as far as the bass strings are concerned.

5. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

That has to do with the room available to move forward and back the saddle, again its got nothing to do with improving the intonation.....

A scale is a scale and follows 1 simple rule and this applies to any instrument multi scale or not... the intonation point will be the same for any fretted instrument based on the distance from the nut to the 12th fret times 2 + compensation.....

Since the bass strings use thicker guages and are higher the saddles must be brought back a little further for compensation, and this on any instrument fanned or no fanned, so I dont see how It's accepted that longer scale instruments are able to intonate more accurately...

If the maker did add extra room for the saddles to be brought back, then thats simply because of the building, not because of the longer scale...

I dont see how my 28.31'' scale guitar intonates better then one of my 25.5'' guitars.....

A piano does not have frets....... sometimes reading posts in forums can bring to sevear misconception,,,

6. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

The psychological factor can also have a huge impact on the way the player hears the sound of his instrument...

exemple: since a fan fretted instrument is more ergonomical, his hands will be in a better playing position, and the player may find that his instrument plays better.....

Same for the little sudalties in the building of the neck itself like the nut being rounded over without any sharp edges or the frets perfectly sanded out on the edge making them perfectly flush with the fingerboard etc etc....

If you really want a perfectly intonated guitar then you must consider not a fan fretted but a truetemperament neck

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php

[​IMG]

Revolution777 likes this.
  7. Revolution777

+1 on both!
    I see your points on everything. Thanks!

Its good to hear the facts from a luthier! I'm just starting to build myself and am trying to accumulate as much knowledge as I can.