Another picking technique question

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by bloodjunkie, Dec 17, 2016.

1. bloodjunkie

bloodjunkie SS.org Regular

I've had a really rough go with tendinitis since May of this year(did a month long tour with it which did not help AT ALL obviously). I am only now getting back into playing somewhat regularly.

I'm trying to change technique as much as possible(playing in classical sitting position now with thumb and middle finger lined up). My picking technique has never been great anyway, I would often angle my pick quite a lot especially when playing fast(which is most of the time).
    I came across this video which seems great for single string picking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_fqkNglmGA

My burning question is does this work/translate at all to playing full chords(ala black metal) or should I look for a different technique that can incorporate both? What do you guys recommend?
    Thanks!

Lasik124 likes this.
  2. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

You should most definitely switch up picking techniques between single string strokes and strumming multi note chords. The most fundamental difference being, you can't be muting strings with your picking hand if you want to be tremolo picking chords.

This guy has a solid, basic technique for alt. picking single strings, but it's specifically relative to his style of playing. I'm personally a huge fan of fanning out my fingers, using a lot of the pick, and often times anchoring my picking hand with the fingers that aren't in use; this gives me a more percussive and rhythmically articulate sound, similar to Emil Werstler's playing (I wish!).

The most important thing is to relax while playing. Your whole body needs to be extremely relaxed, which is really hard to do when you're struggling with what you're playing. You need to focus on relaxing your entire body as much as you are focusing on what you're playing. I should add that I've had tendonitis and mild carpal tunnel since I was 19 (25 now).

3. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

Hey!

I have tendinitis in both arms/wrists from overuse(Guitar)

Just wanted to pop in and give a couple tips.

Stretch regularly before and after playing. There are so many different stretches so make sure to research some!

Assuming its your left arm giving you issues. Make sure your wrist is always straight. Although different from classical, I've recently been keeping my thumb near the top of the neck and its helped a lot. Kind of gripping the neck like a baseball bat when possible. (Won't be possible for all chords)

I play black metal as well and enjoy big stretches and chords.

I had to re-learn how to play some by making chords with some dead strings instead of stretches. Challenge yourself to make shapes and play in a manner that does not hurt you without sacrificing your voice on the instrument

Anyway to answer your burning question, I briefly browsed the video you linked. I think that technique is proper and I use the same to strum full chords.

Make sure to not overplay on your right hand. Hitting hard is one thing, beating the crap out of your guitar and straining yourself is another. It's what did me in on my right. (Also consider dropping gauges, I went from 10's to 9's after 10 years of hating on 9's haha!)
    Make sure when doing that evil black metal strum your relaxed

Keep on rocking!:shred:

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

This might be helpful when it comes to chords:

And while I'm posting videos, this one will ensure that you are never, ever in your life satisfied with your strumming:

It does, however, act as a reminder about how much is possible.

5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I've just remembered, I tried to apply the technique from the vid in the OP for a few months when I was getting back into playing guitar regularly, the amazing burst of speed I got when I gave it up and went back to lightly resting my uncurled fingers on the guitar was almost worth the months spent struggling with a technique that clearly wasn't working for me.

This isn't to say that he isn't giving out some useful information.

6. Aethyrvorous

Aethyrvorous SS.org Regular

The technique in the video is good, but you should use your fingers uncurled. It adds more weight to your movement, which makes it easier to control. I use only my wrist, with a motion in between the side to side movement done when laying a hand flat on a surface, and moving my hand forwards and back as if knocking on a door (without moving at the elbow). I can tremolo pick over 4 strings at once.