Another overdrive thread. Finding the needle in the haystack.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mike, May 4, 2017.

1. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix

Maxon OD-820 rules for this. I really liked mine when I had it but ended up liking the OD-9 the best of all even over the OD-9 Pro+. That's just my taste though, I like to put a TS bumping mids in front and scoop alot of mids on the amp. It's not a typical TS ciruit however the OD-820 is amazing, 808 + Klon, and runs on 18v all the time (lots of headroom.)
    I also agree the Grid Slammer is a fine OD pedal and one of the only five I liked the best on my OD hunt.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. Dustin B

Dustin B SS.org Regular

I recently fell in love with the EQD Dunes and the Teletronix Mulholland Drive. The Mulholland Drive doesn't seem to like active pickups very much, though. It breaks up a little too much and starts to sound kind of like a fuzz, but it sounds amazing with my SD JB guitars. I picked up a Grid Slammer too and wasn't that impressed, just sounded too much like my Maxon 808 and Tube Screamer. For the record I'm driving a 6505+ as well, along with a Mesa Trem-O-Verb.

3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Once I started using active EQ controls on an Overdrive, it is hard to go back to a regular TS.

4. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

RIP after messing around with the Grid Slammer for 2 days I believe I prefer the old 808 clipping for my sound.
    I found it too "clean" for the sound I was looking for. Had the gain around noon(I always leave this at 0 normally) and if I went a bit more it started getting a bit too noisy. Volume at max and tone around 1-2.To compare I was using the built-in Kemper Green Screamer with settings I normally use which are gain at 0, tone at 6-7, volume at max (+5) and I liked how it saturated palm mutes and compressed better.

I then used it with my Peavey 6505 MH going into Orange 212 and felt the same: sounded great but was needing a bit more tightness/ saturation.

HOWEVER I have to admit that I loved how my leads sounded with this pedal. Very Fluid and Smooth, normally the higher strings sound more trebly compared to the lower ones.

Overall cuts better and notes are cleaner overall, but I guess I prefer the typical 808 sound :v

Will keep messing with it but I believe I tried all combinations at this point.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Apparently the Gridslammer is simply a TS9 with a different clipping arrangement. At least that's what I read from people who have opened them and traced the circuit.

I found a layout someone made with a switch to swap between Gridslammer and TS9 clipping, I think I'll build one when I get around to it.

6. takotakumi

Yeah I read about that but was expecting a different type of sound still :v

7. mnemonic

I guess if you like the Gridslammer for leads but the TS for rhythm you could make one with a footswitch for the clip type. That could be cool.

takotakumi likes this.
  8. takotakumi

That'd be best of both worlds...great idea :D

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have seen that also. Usually adding more diodes in series will raise the voltage before clipping, meaning they dont clip as much. They will sound less saturated, and cleaner.

I have the Orange Burst stock, and the one I modded with asymmetrical clipping (one extra diode), and the one I modded definitely sounds cleaner, less clipping and way more volume.

mnemonic likes this.
  10. mnemonic

Cool, the rc booster clone I built I would like more if it was a bit cleaner and louder so I may look into something like this.

In a metal context, that is. In a lighter-gain context it sounds pretty good as-is

11. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

To me that would be a ton of gain and output from the pedal. Did you mess with your amp settings at all? It seems like you're trying to approach the pedal almost as a preamp for generating tone as opposed to a supplement to the amps tone generating capabilities.

takotakumi likes this.
  12. takotakumi

On the kemper you're right, I did not change the settings much, was a strict A/B, but just realized that I needed
    to increase the gain on the amp heads.

I did on the Peavey head though and had the same conclusion.

You're right that that it seems Im using it as preamp, which I normally don't do. I tend to never touch the gain knob but I felt the need on the Grid Slammer.