Another overdrive thread. Finding the needle in the haystack.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mike, May 4, 2017.

1. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

It's a monster. I've said before it's the only OD I've ever owned that I would feel 100% comfortable using in place of my good ol' OD808 :yesway:

2. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I am, so I might have to make a trip there or to another close by shop to test one out or a comparable unit.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Report the findings :yesway:

4. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

OP It may sound crazy but try playing with your amp only for a couple of days. I got used to the tone of the amp itself and I am done buying more drive pedals.

also VFE Focus rocks so check that out as well. VFE recently launched a new version of the pedal which should be pretty sweet.

5. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

What other OD's out there have a Tight or bass cut knob? Right now I'm looking at a trade on an MXR Custom Modified. I'm finding the SD1 circuit works way better for me. I don't mind my OD808 with my Peavey Ultra but it just doesn't work with my Randall. Using the SD1 model outta my 1101 for now with that amp, the 808 just makes it hairy and uncontrollable.

6. Mmcgrouty

Mmcgrouty SS.org Regular

I've tried a ton of overdrives, and eventually I realized that the boring old Boss SD-1 sounds the best to me. I can't say I use it all that often, however. The louder you play, the less need there is to use an overdrive to boost your amp. I mean, the 6505+ has a ton of saturation by itself, and is still tight as hell. Maybe what you want is a different amp, instead of agonizing over a pedal.

7. Mike

The amp tone is great and I love pretty much everything about it. At this point I'm just splitting hairs trying to fine tune the feel. I'd be doing this with any amp.

8. Mike

SD805, Green Rhino, Bad Monkey, Looking Glass, Spark, but there's plenty more out there.

9. xero7

xero7 SS.org Regular

The hidden gem of tube screamers is the biyang mad driver od10. Tons of boost and options to go along with it. The bigger version has swappable chips.50 bucks or less too.

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I switched from a TS-9 to an MXR Custom Modified Badass OD years ago and haven't looked back. It is a glorified Boss SD-1 with additional controls over bass and where the mids sit, and is quieter than most OD pedals. The asymmetrical clipping adds a subtle grind to the tone that is absent in tubescreamer circuits -- and that texture helps more than just your rhythm tone -- it gives pinch harmonics more character and adds some additional harmonic content to lead lines. I have used the pedal mostly with my 6505s, and honestly haven't even considered trying anything else.

11. op1e

All the overdrives with a treble and bass control don't cut bass, only add it.

12. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Let's not say anything silly, now.

13. Mike

I've owned every one of these except the looking glass and if you turn the bass knob all the way counter clock-wise or less than noon, they cut bass. :shrug:

14. op1e

I've had the Bad Monkey and the MojoMojo, never noticed them cutting. I could be wrong about the others. But they never advertise them as an add/cut knob, just an eq so I'm not speaking out of school.

15. op1e

16. Vince

Vince Contributor

In the last year I went through about 5 or 6 overdrives, and I loved the Grid Slammer so much I bought two. Easily the best TS-style OD on the market.

17. Mike

How does the grid slammer compare output-wise to the regular Maxon od808? Is the range on the knobs roughly the same or does it have noticeably more everything on tap?

18. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro Contributor

Huh, I just looked up the grid slammer circuit and it is a 1 for 1 TS9 copy with 2 extra clipping diodes. I might have to try out that clipping diode arrangement. It looks like it would be super easy to mod a TS9 to be a grid slammer.

19. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Definitely a bit more volume on tap. Around 85-90% on the Grid Slammer is where the 808 stops. The tone control has a wider sweep and can get deliciously nasty up around 3:00 and higher. The gain control has a wider range as well. Cleaner than the 808 at the lowest point and a good bit dirtier at its highest point.

20. papa_moz

papa_moz SS.org Regular

From your original description, I agree with the idea that a compressor in front of your OD is definitely the way to go. And since you were on something of a budget, I'd like to recommend the EHX East River Drive (a TS clone whose circuit was tweaked by the Analogman guy) and the Xotic SP Compressor. Brand new they will set you back $200 but used for closer to 150. I have run this combination in front of several amps (Ironheart, JSX, Stiletto, and now a GrandMeister) all with great results.