Another New Member

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Speedbeetle, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Speedbeetle

Speedbeetle SS.org Regular

Hello everyone, new member here...

Been playing guitar for going on 10 years now, give or take. Almost exclusively metal. There's been brief gaps in that period where I either didn't play for whatever reason or played very little, but it's been consistent for the most part. I'm pretty much the definition of a bedroom guitarist. Never played in a band, and only with others on a few occasions. Not sure how that happened. I'd like to change it in the future though.

My main guitar is an Ibanez GRG7221. I wasn't sure if I wanted to completely commit to a 7 string after playing 6 strings for so long, so I didn't want to spend too much on my first 7. But now that I've had it for a few months, I don't think I'll ever buy a 6 string again. The 7 forced me out of my little bubble and gave me a fresh start. The guitar itself is about what you'd expect from a $200 guitar, but I've worked out most of the little issues and it plays pretty well. Tuners are garbage and the wiring looks like a birds' nest but that's okay. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Black Winter and it sounds like it wants to hurt you. Perfect.

My current rig is Guitar -> Focusrite iTrack Solo -> iPad with Bias Fx -> back to iTrack, and then to a set of desktop monitors. Great setup. I recently got this setup after using a small practice amp with pedals and I'm astounded at how good it sounds. Is it better than real amps? Of course not. But it's far less expensive, more practical for use at home, and you can have 50w tube amp tones without 50w tube amp volumes. Perfect for personal use. Most of the presets I use are for metal, but I use clean and fuzz tones sometimes too.

Here's some of my other gear:
    -Ibanez GRG7221
    -Music Man Sterling AX30
    -Ibanez S521
    -Fender HSS Mexican Strat
    -Epiphone G-1275
    -Ibanez GAX70 (first guitar)
    -Like 6 Ukuleles

I have a bunch of pedals and small practice amps but I'm not gonna list all that. The only pedal I still use apart from a tuner pedal is my Fuzz Face in front of a clean preset in Bias. You'd think that a real pedal wouldn't mix well with software but it sounds actually really good. Much better than the "Face Fuzz" in the app.

Well thanks for reading my post. I probably won't post a whole lot to be honest. Not sure what I have to offer anybody that hasn't already been covered.

2. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

Welcome to the forum!