Another mass shooting in America

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by fps, Dec 14, 2012.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Ok so I came in here a bit late. I try to stay out of this area as I don't like to get in pissing matches with people but, I decided this time I will bite.

I am from the most back-woods redneck part of Florida. People here come out of the woods from hunting in the morning and go straight into class. Hell, when I was in high school in 2001, the senior parking lot had pickup trucks with filled rifle racks in the rear window. Actually, I do not know anyone who does not own a gun here.

I was born and raised in this life style. I had a bb gun when I was 5 and my first rifle when I was 9. I was taught to hunt at a young age (hunting is another argument completely. I can go along with killing if you eat it and use the resource but, trophy hunting to make yourself feel more manly is just wrong).

I served seven years in the Army and was giving classes on the use of our weapons when my platoon sergeant had noticed I knew far more about weapons than my squad leader did. I actually got a guy out of trouble who had an ND (negligent discharge [there is no more accidental discharge]) because I proved to our commander that the current policy of handling the M249 did not fit how the weapon operated, leaving people carrying a weapon they thought was on safe when it really was not.

After the Army I went to Europe. I lived in England and Poland for a year. Not once did I ever hear of anyone getting shot. The ONLY time I even heard about a murder was a guy that got knifed. It seemed to me that people seemed to settle their differences on the weekend in the middle of the street outside the pub late at night with their fists.

I was always a super duper anti-gun control person. However, when I came back to Florida, I could see how anybody ANYBODY can get a gun here. There has not been a single week gone by when I have not heard about someone getting shot.

My own father scares the shit out of me when he is shooting in the back yard because of his unsafe practices.

All of these things have led me to change my views.

I believe that American should be able to own guns.
    I believe that to own a gun people need to be trained, tested, and pass a RIGOROUS background check before being allowed access to ANY firearm.
    The more "dangerous" (capable of mowing down a crowded mall before having to reload) a weapon is, the more hoops a person should have to jump through to prove they are capable of responibly owning and operating such a weapon.
    Weapon related crimes should be more harshly punished.
    Bootlegging (selling a gun to your neighbor without any legal transfer or registration) should be for more strictly regulated, investigated, and punished.

I believe the most important things to be proper training and licensing. When I was in the army, there was a shooting range off base that was free to the public. Some guy went up there to teach his pre-teen daughter how to shoot and wound up shooting and killing her because he didn't know wtf he was doing.

EDIT: My whole deal is I don't feel safe in this country anymore. Especially with a wife and a baby and us living in a not-so-great neighborhood. I feel like I need to have a gun in case I have to defend myself from all the dumbasses here who have free access to guns.

engage757 likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

3. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

4. Randy

Waiting for the rest of the details and I agree, but from what I've heard so far, there were people not involved in the altercation that were injured in the crossfire. To that end, it was in the public, people who were uninvolved were hit and it happened on a campus. In that context, I figured this was the place to put it.

I don't advocate passing judgement on any incident before all the details are known, regardless.

5. lurgar

lurgar SS.org Regular

It's not a pleasant part of the Houston area to say the least. I never do like going to that area.

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Indeed, it seems all of the colleges in or near Houston are located in quite literally the worst parts of Houston.

People are mugged and robbed far more frequent than I wish at the UH campus. We've also had a few rape attempts as well. That has a lot to do with the criminal life in the area assuming us college kids have money (we don't :lol:) and there being 1 cop to roughly 700 students. We can blame poor school funding for that hiccup. Once they increased the patrols and added a few more officers the crime basically stopped as a regular occurrence and now I only get the occasional notice.

7. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

^

Yes, I still get my bi-weekly attempted armed robbery alerts from UHPD. I only had one "incident" when I was at UH. It was a liquor store near campus. I was getting in my truck and some dude on crutches started yelling at me, wedged himself between my door and me, and starts reaching in his pants for something. I thought, "No way I'm about to get robbed by a crackhead on crutches." So I kicked him to the ground and drove off real fast.

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Yeah it's just a bad part of town, but it got a lot worse after the construction and influx of new students to pay for said construction.

I minimize my risks as much as possible and nothing has happened to me as of yet. They'd be pretty disappointed if they tried though. :lol:

9. Randy

Yikes to the last few posts. :ugh:

10. Randy

Gov. Cuomo's approval rating drops 15 points after new gun law - NY Daily News

11. Randy

:bump:

Close to home:

Officials: Police action 'nothing short of heroic' - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch, Utica, New York

12. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

13. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

Crime Index by Country 2013
    List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country
    List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you take a look at those numbers... you can see the United States fairs pretty poorly compared to other first world countries in terms of death rates related to guns / crime in general.

Guns should be illegal. The gov't should employ some kind of program for people to bring in and melt down all weapons.

14. TheManWhoWalksAlone

TheManWhoWalksAlone SS.org Regular

Is it just me, or is the United States just going around in fucking circles?:mad:

15. Randy

My thoughts as well. As an avid animal lover, I was hoping the initial reports of "injured" stayed that way but they didn't. :(

It's at least a little uplifting to know that they're going to have a memorial for him and whatnot.

Can't tell if sarcastic...?

16. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

Something like this: Firearm Recycling Program | Collaborace.org

17. Randy

I work in Schenectady, which has been very bad with regard to drugs and violence over the past few decades. They started a gun buyback program in some of the really bad neighborhoods in the area and they've been having great results (reductions in gun violence, etc).

I was just asking if you were serious because I haven't heard a lot of people make the "melt it down" argument so, forgive me if it came as a surprise. :lol:

I don't think I have a magical answer to any of this... the problem is pretty clear, though. There are a lot of people who should not have access to weapons (of any kind), that do. As has been floated, mental health is part of it but a dysfunctional prison system and having a lot of "loose weapons" floating around don't help matters.

18. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

I'm ok w/ buy-back programs too. There are several people that thought they needed one that realize they don't, have life-changing events changing their mind, etc...and the buy-back programs are awesome for that and will take the unwanted firearms out of "excess circulation."

Here in Georgia, there is a new law either up for vote or on the books stating you have to sign an affidavit stating you've not been diagnosed for mental illness within the last 10yrs. If you have, then its required to have a signed affidavit from a Psychiatrist/Psychologist stating you're fit to own one.

Problem is...you can lie on the form, but the law is written exactly as if you were lying to the probate judge him/herself. I feel its at least a step in the right direction. No secret I'm pro-firearms, but do feel there should be some mental health requirement. People attempting to register legally are more likely to be truthful on the affidavit IMO.

Definitely a lot of people that shouldn't have firearms, but I will never support the statement that it should be blanketed as illegal.

Randy likes this.
  19. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

20. the_heretic_divine

the_heretic_divine The Fruit Bat

It's all over the world,and honestly,no more frequent than it ever was. 24 hour media just makes us more conscious of it. Still,very sad.