Annoying nooby questions (h3lp m3 plz d00dz?)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Oxidation_Shed, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Oxidation_Shed

Oxidation_Shed Nightman.

Hey guys, I'm currently doing my first built together with my Grandad. He used to do a lot of wood and metal work back before he retired so he's got lot more experience than me. Trouble is, I think his eyes must be going.
    I got a gorgeous, bookmatched Pacific Blackwood top for this superstrat that we're building. The only problem is that, as I left him to glue the two pieces together as all the tools were at his and I was busy, there seem to be a few gaps. My own fault I know, but I really wanted a natural finish for the top to show off the grain.
    By the time I next got a chance to work on the build he'd already glued it to the mahogany back.

Basically, what I'm asking is what would be the best way to go about disguising the gaps? Is it just a case of grain filler or has anyone got any insider tips?

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

My grandpa does the exact same thing :lol:

3. ovation22

ovation22 SS.org Regular

How big are the gaps? Route out a small channel and fill with a strip of alternate wood? Of course, then there would be two seems to worry about. :)

4. Oxidation_Shed

Oxidation_Shed Nightman.

Just under 1mm at the widest. I think it's because he's used too much glue and that's separating the two sides.
    The routing idea's a good one, but it's not really the look I wanted. Still, I suppose that needs must if it comes to that and thanks very much for the time taken to reply.
    Any other suggestions?

5. eddiewarlock

eddiewarlock SS.org Regular

Separate the pieces, glue them back together.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This.

Shitty seams and joints kill tone.

7. Oxidation_Shed

Oxidation_Shed Nightman.

That seems like a reasonable idea, cheers
    The top is about 10 mm thick, is there anything special I should be doing to try and separate it from the back without damaging either of them?
    Thanks for the advice so far guys

8. Neil

Neil XL Whore

Well the easiest thing to do would be to rip it in half down the centre line and joint the halfs with the mahogany still attached.

9. silent_k

silent_k derpa derp! Contributor

Where exactly are the gaps? Before you cut anything up, map out things like where the neck pocket and pickup routs are going to go -- it could be that some of those gaps will be eliminated when you hog out and rout. If the gap(s) extend the whole length, then I'd go with Neil's suggestion. I've had to cut and rejoin pieces for essentially the same reason, and as long as you can get both surfaces good and flat, you should be fine. Also make sure you dry clamp first and look for any lingering gaps -- hold the pieces up against a light and you'll notice any problems right away.

10. Oxidation_Shed

Oxidation_Shed Nightman.

Yeah I've mapped out the routes needing to be done and it will still be a problem.
    I'd considered taking the whole thing apart but wasn't sure if I'd have to be so drastic. Thanks for the wisdom guys, it's invaluable to have someone with a lot more experience give me some advice.

11. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Any chance you've got a picture?

If you can line the gaps up in your routing, that would be ideal. Past that, it's time for a do-over.