[Anime] My Neighbor Totoro

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by nyck, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Power levels was something stupid made up for the American version. Power levels do not appear once in the actual Japanese version.

Also, I think Naruto is the slowest moving animation ever. If you think DBZ is slow moving, you should watch Naruto. I've seen the first 100 episodes of Naruto and what happens in those 100 episodes? Pretty much nothing.

And what are you talking about? Evil Shenron? I don't remember any evil Shenron. There were a few really stupid TV specials that had idiotic plots to them, but the storyline for the main story was pretty damn good until about the Buu saga, which just went on for too long and, although I watched the entire thing, I had started to lose interest by then.

I will agree that Dragonball GT is really stupid. That was an animation that had nothing to do with Toriyama and was only made, based off of the popularity of the previous series.

Anyway, although I think a lot of people would really like DBZ if they saw it the original way and not the watered-down idiotic Cartoon Network version, but, of course, there is personal taste. I will say that it is one of the top 5 most popular animations in Japan's history (primarily among high schoolers and young adults) and I doubt it would get to that status in Japan if it were as insipid and stupid as the US one. One thing I would change, though, is make the animation move at a speed closer to the comics (which actually move pretty fast). Saying that the series has "no story" means that you've never actually watched much of the series.

2. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Nah, I've watched the whole DBZ series and it really doesn't have a story, really. It has a base-plot but there's no real story to be told.

3. Naren

It has a story. It just has a fuck of a lot of fighting, which makes it have not as much of a plot as - say - a "shojo" animation. I mean, you get into the Buu saga and you get like 5 episodes just fighting some dude. It's the same thing with Naruto, only Naruto is worse in that regard (dragging things out without really anything happening).

Even though I'm not a fan of the Buu saga, one of my favorite DBZ fights is the fight between Gokuu and Majin Bejiita (which happens during that point). That was a pretty cool fight. I also really like the whole "Cell" part of the series. When Gokuu fights Piccolo at the Budoukai was pretty cool, too.

I prefer the comic series to the animation, though (although I do like them both).

4. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

The manga's probably a thousand times better.

I'd have to say, the spirit bomb part in the frieza saga is the most drawn-out thing ever, seriously, it's like 3 episodes to power up the spirit bomb.

And the Ginyuu squad had the eye things which had "power level" meters, what were those used for in the Japanese version if not for "power levels?"

5. Naren

The comic is a lot better. It gets immediately to the point with no screwing around. The drawing quality is obviously much better (which is the same for any comic compared to the animation). And some of the jokes come across better in the comic.

No, they weren't. There were no power levels in the comic series (I own every single volume of the comic in Japanese) or in the animation (I own every single episode of the animation in Japanese with stupid Chinese subtitles. Yeah, it's one of those pirated ones. I wasn't about to pay 100,000 yen for the full DBZ series). I think it's weird how in the US version, they exageratted and created this numerical system for power. In Japanese, you just see that they're getting more powerful. There are a few times where there is a number like 500 or 700 given, but the only way to read that was with "scanners."

The Saiyajin do have those scanners that can read someone's power, but they can only go up to like 10,000 before they break. In fact, the only times I remember any numerical mention of power in the whole series was after Gokuu came back from the afterworld to fight Bejiita and his scanner broke.

I didn't care for the Freezer part of the animation that much (It was okay). The Cell/Androids part was pretty awesome.

One thing that the US really screwed up about the series is that the whole thing is a comedy. They gave Gokuu like a surfer "cool guy" voice when, in Japanese, he is voiced by a girl and he sounds very unintelligent (he's pure-hearted). I was watching this show in college with my girlfriend of the time and they started showing clips from American dubs of famous Japanese animations and making fun of them. They showed DBZ and my girlfriend was like "That's not Gokuu... right? He doesn't sound anything like Gokuu. Is that a joke?" She couldn't believe that the show had been done that way.

6. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

HAHAHAHA, lol...a female voice actress, that's just too much.

In the movies for the US they used a guy who had this scrawny voice which was completely different than the TV series' one, so it probably sounds more like the Japanese one.

Well, the power levels didn't go all the way through the series, that was just a fan thing that was going on, it went the same way as what you said, I just was like "they didn't mention it at all?"

7. Naren

Have you seen Onepiece in Japanese? Roofy is voiced by a female voice actress in that one too. In fact, it's actually very very common in Japanese animation to voice male characters like that with females.

In the Japanese one, Gokuu, Gohan, and Goten are all voiced by the same voice actress and she does a damn good job. She doesn't sound "scrawny." Gokuu sounds badass in the Japanese one when he gets pissed off. I guess he sounds pretty harmless when he's being scolded by Chichi and he's just laughing and saying stupid stuff. But he doesn't sound like some So Cal surfer dude like that crappy US TV show shit. The voice actor for Bejiita has one of the coolest voices in the history of Japanimation. I can't even think of a cooler voice than his. And the way he talks is so hardcore that I used to talk to regular people I knew like Bejiita when I was in college. I was inspired by Dragon Ball Z to write "How To Sound Like An Idiot In Japanese: Volume 2: Animation Japanese" which I had on my website for a year or so (I took that website offline over a year ago).

8. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

I'll have to try to D/L one of the japanese ones just to check out what they sound like, lol.

I haven't seen One Piece in japanese, only the US one with the REALLY annoying guy doing the stretchy-kid main character...I've seen like 5 eps of that show because it pisses me off it's so retarded.

9. Naren

Onepiece is pretty hilarious in Japanese. I've seen the first 60 episodes. Pretty cool show. Never seen it in English.

I swear. I saw 5 minutes of Ranma in English and I wanted to kill myself. It was the worst animation I had ever seen. If I had seen Ranma in English first (actually I read the comic series before I ever saw the animation), I would have never seen any more or read anymore. I would have been sure in my mind that it was the worst show ever made. I'm glad that never happened to me.

From what I've personally seen and what I've heard from other people, I've deducted that dubs suck ass and that Japanimation dubs in English are the worst dubs on the planet.

I recommend downloading "The Tree Of Might" movie or whatever its called in English (I don't remember) in Japanese. That one is pretty awesome. Or Brolly (the first Brolly movie. The sequels are kind of stupid. Like Bio-Brolly. That movie was idiotic.). Or you could just watch the Cell Saga in Japanese. That part of the series is just badass. I can't even stand watching 1 minute of DBZ in English. It just pissed the hell out of me. "Hokuto No Ken" (The First of The North Star) is one of the greatest animations in history. A Japanese I work with told me that it is like "the bible" for most Japanese males. I read a review of the American dub that is available in the US that said it was one of the worst movies the guy had ever seen. I read later that the US version of the movie had over 40 minutes cut out of it and had been cheesily translated to a Hong Kong Kung Foo movie and horribly dubbed. I almost cried. The "Hokuto no Ken" movie (from 1986 if I remember correctly) is seriously the coolest thing ever.

10. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Most dubs are absolutely horrid and that's why you don't see 'hardcore otaku' as they call themselves *rolls eyes* the stuff on TV and only buy imported stuff.

lol, actually I kinda thought the ranma dub was decent, haha. The one dub which is too prolific to ever change is the Transformers, those voices are just ingrained in everyone's memory XD. <3

Anyway, thanks for the tips on the DBZ, I'll check it out. I actually have the world's strongest on LD.

11. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

+1:yesway:

Tho I liked Mononoke a lot Nausicaa kicks ass

12. Pauly

Pauly Not so local lefty

Dragonball = Yay
    Dragonball Z = Yay up to/including Cell
    Dragonball GT = Nay
    Gihbli films = Yay
    Naruto = Yay
    Bleach = Yay
    Cowboy Beebop = Yay

At college we've been watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig... mostly yay material, and this new one I can't remember the name of, it has andriods and stuff and is pretty cool.

13. God Hand Apostle

God Hand Apostle Tin Foil Central

14. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP