[Anime] My Neighbor Totoro

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by nyck, Jun 16, 2006.

1. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

lol, what's up with your internet? haha *hosts it on photobucket since Naren can't see geocities japan for some reason*

[​IMG]

2. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Ha ha ha. That's a funny pic.

3. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

You know you want one, although I'd want mine to say "WHEEE" instead of mei on it.

4. nyck

nyck blah!

HAHA That's so awesome.

5. Naren

Or the Nintendo Wiiii.

Take another look, dude. It doesn't say "meichan." It just says "Mei", whoever the hell that is. Mei the huge cat that sucks the life out of you? I'd want one that says something like "DeathCat" or "Demon Cat From Hell."

6. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Ooops, lol.

Mei's the little girl in Totoro btw...*pokes Naren* o___O you alive? XDDD

7. Naren

I saw Totoro once like 4 years ago. There's no way I could remember any of the characters names other than Totoro.

That's weird. Why would the CAT say "Mei" if Mei is the name of a little girl...? :scratch:

8. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

It's from the movie, in it Mei wanders off and gets lost, Satsuki goes to Totoro and asks him to help, he calls up the cat bus and it changes the destination sign to "mei."

I guess I can't say anything about remembering peoples' names from animes, I can't remember any of the peoples' names from the stuff I've watched this past year.

9. Naren

If it's an animation I really really like (such as DBZ, Ranma, Hokuto no Ken, Akira, etc.), I generally remember all the names. If it's a movie I only saw once, I probably don't remember the names. I mean, I've seen hundreds and hundreds of Japanimation movies and TV series by now. I can't possibly remember all the names.

10. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

/Hijack

Ranma, For the Win
    /Hijack

11. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Dude, Ranma owns, I have the OVA*, all 7 seasons and the movies...now I just need the Manga...

*OVA = OAV ...whatever you want to call it, it's the same thing Original Animated Video or Original Video Animation

12. Metal Ken

I just never got how Rumiko Takashi could go from doing badass series like Mermaid Flesh, Ranma & Maison Ikkoku to Inuyasha - something that stoops to the level of DragonBall or yuyu hakusho. Did she TRY to write it for 12 year olds?

13. Naren

Definitely. You forget to mention the glories of Hokuto no ken (I'm almost at the end of the series by now. I have a huge stack of the comics in my apartment now).

Have you ever even seen Dragonball? Dragonball is my alltime favorite animation and comic series. I've read all 42 volumes of the comics, seen all 291 episodes of the TV series, and about 50 of the other TV series. The English version sucks (the dubbing is horrible, all the violence, blood, nudity, swearing has been cut out).

The Japanese Dragonball series was actually aimed primarily at high school students and college students, which was the main fanbase. Nowadays, being a fan of Ranma is considered really nerdy, but being a fan of Dragonball is just normal and cool. Being a fan of Hokuto no ken is also cool.

I hate how so many people bash on Dragonball because of the idiots who turned it into a kiddie animation. The original animation is one of the most hardcore cool animations out there.

That said, Inuyasha is an "okay" animation/comic. Not one of her better ones, but not that bad. Compared to Dragonball, it sucks, though. Dragonball pawns all other animations.

14. Metal Ken

I have in other threads mentioned how awesome Hokuto No Ken is. I remember watching the newer animated movies... and thinking "Holy crap, he fucked that dude's shit UP!" I loved that. I want to get the manga and read it (Always liked Manga better than anime).

15. Naren

That manga is 1000x better than the animation. It's also much much much gorier.

16. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

@Naren: Dragonball actually had a story, Dragonball Z and GT are what most people bash, which they basically have no story. Basically once you get to Freeza it's just ridiculous and beyond there it's just "WHOA HUGE POWER LEVEL!!!!" and they're like 100 times more powerful than freeza could think of being and then go around searching the universe for dragonballs and finally beat evil shenron...I mean...uhhh...that's a great story...lol.

17. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

i dont really like the pace of the dbz show, but the manga was a great and addictive read fo sho!
    though in that "genre" i would say that both naruto and bleach are a lot better! (manga wise especially)

18. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

My only problem with Manga is that I read it fast as crap (obviously translated stuff) and I get through like a whole book in like less than 20 minutes...that kinda pisses me off, lol. I never "Imagine the scenes" but I laugh quite a bit.

Even the animations for Naruto and Bleach are pretty awesome. Naruto got into mad filler episodes but it was still enjoyable...I just lost interest. Bleach was sick too, not much filler imo but when they went back to the human world I just completely stopped watching or paying attention.

I think I got up to Naruto episode 170 or so and up to Bleach 67, I think I have up to like 72 but I haven't watched them.

19. Metal Ken

I watched about 3 seasons of the Americanized DBZ. Its the most repititve thing ever.. "Oh no, we cant defeat this guy, we're getting our asses kicked.. we must go train! Now we've trained-- and we owned him! Oh no! here comes someone else more powerful then us!" /wash rinse repeat.

My relationship with DBZ was a love hate one. At first, i saw it in a Viz catalog and thought it looked lame. Then i read some DB and DBZ manga. then i thought it wasn't too bad. then i remember seeing coming to cartoon network (circa 1997) and thinking "this should be cool" then watching it and thinking "This Blows"... so i kinda cant make up my mind on it.

Also, as an aside, i could care less if ranma is/was nerdy - I have never cared about that kind of thing. it was the first anime/manga thing i read so i think its great. I've never read the manga for inu yasha, but i've watched about 10 or so episodes at friend's place and thinking "now this is just bad."

20. nyck

nyck blah!

The original Dragonball was awesome. I watched all 100 or so episodes...