Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Oh my God, yes :lol: I had forgotten all about that. Just as much as in the anime. The only difference is that you don't hear it, so it's not as annoying. It never bothered me, I just didn't pay attention to it, but I understand how that could be a deal breaker. It's an example of one of those quirky things about anime/manga that you either love or hate. Quirky, but perhaps too quirky for some.

2. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

eh, I'll still read it

I'll black out the nyu's so we don't have to see them.... EVER AGAIN

3. flavenstein

flavenstein SS.org Regular

Yeah when I first started watching anime I tried watching Elfen Lied---I didn't get further than ep. 1. Then later after hearing so many people rave about it, I gave it another shot. I got no further than episode 2.

I'll take some good ol' K-On! moe-types any day. Or some INDEX. OR BOTH

4. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I love K-On!

Why did it have to end? They could have made a mini series based around the romantic travels of Mr. and Mrs. Hirasawa, and I would have watched/read it.

5. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

[​IMG]
    "Ugh, it's called futanari, baka~"

6. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

That's a trap, not futanari.

The face is too masculine. :2c:

7. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

I was thinking the same but Touhou trap-manga.. Seriously? :scratch:

8. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Oh, I never got into Touhou. I only recognize a few characters.

9. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

I never really got into the games neither but I listen to Touhou remix music all the time and browse through some "fan art"..

10. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Why is fan art in quotations? :lol:

I actually discovered Touhou through the music. I like bullet hell games in general, but I'm so terrible at them.

11. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Okay, so I'm super noob when it comes to anime. My buddy is a huge anime head and always used to suggest shows and movies to me, but I could never really get into them besides this one movie he let me borrow, when we were 12, called Samurai X. That film was actually pretty damn sick. I just never looked into anime much after that, but wouldn't mind checking some out now.

I mean, I was huge into DBZ as a kid but I don't really count that. I also liked a little bit of Gundam and Cowboy Bepop when I was young, but not enough to recall any of the story. I also remember watching this movie on cartoon network about some bitch on a broom with a mean ass grandma or some shit. I remember liking how crisp and fluid the animation was.

Also, my friend once accidentally got mailed a Naruto boxed set last year. She doesn't like anime and offered it to me and I was like "Sure." 'cause this chick I was interested in at the time always had Naruto stickers and shit like that everywhere. So, I got high and watched it...

Didn't like it. lol Too goobery for me.

I apologize for the novel, but I guess I'm asking for suggestions on some good anime. I like samurai themes, yakuza themes, brutal violence and good animation. I don't like too much fantasy(magic and sailor moon type snizz).

One thing that always put me off about anime was how overly dramatic and romantic it gets at times. Is there any anime that's violent, brutal, has a good story, and isn't like a soap opera? I don't mind a little romanticism if it fuels the plot. I also loved the anime scenes in Kill Bill if that helps. I'd watch an entire series and the movies if it was like those scenes.

Oh, I also remember watching this anime movie, like, 7-8 years ago about some chick killing werewolves and it was really sick. Blunt and brutal with sick animation.

So, yeah. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it. I felt it was about time I delve into the world of anime. haha

12. habicore_5150

habicore_5150 El Psy Congroove

Don't know if I have any suggestions for you off the top of my head. Have you checked out some places like AnimeSeason, CrunchyRoll and Anime44?

So yeah, got to check out a couple more anime, most of em just one episode, a few others, at least two

Blue Exorcist: It's really good, don't really have much to say about it (other than "I need to watch a couple more episodes, because I'm liking it so far")

Is this a Zombie?: At first, I thought it was gonna be one of those slice of life anime . . . until I got about 3 minutes into the first episode and I almost lost it. Saw a little bit of fan service, but its still pretty good

Star Ocean EX: Only seen the first episode (was talking with another big anime friend of mine about some shows), but it looks great, and I do like the art style they used in the anime (was made around the 90's)

Orphen: I do have the game for PS2, didn't know they did an anime of it a while back. Has a couple of chuckle-worthy moments but its good

13. Alberto7

Just dropping this here:

And thought this was really awesome:

14. Alberto7

Based on your preferences, I think you'd REALLY like Shigurui, and Ghost in The Shell, specially the former.

I think you might also like the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) series (OVAs and movies included) and Cowboy Bebop. I'd recommend Samurai Champloo, since it seems to have some of the things you're looking for, but I haven't watched it myself, so I can't say for certain that you'd like it.

15. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

Lol
    Watching sono hanabira ni kuchizuke wo with a friend.
    Lol

16. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Nah, I'm noob as hell when it comes to anime but I'll check those out. Thanks, man.

Word, thanks, bud. :yesway: I heard the name Ghost in the Shell before but never watched. Finna check them jawns out, man.

17. Alberto7

^ No problemo :yesway:

18. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Just watched the first episode, Sword Match at Sunpu Castle. I'm likin' this so far. Irako's stance was creepy as hell. haha And that one n*gga pulling his own intestines out, in the beginning, was pretty savage.

Edit: Of Shigurui, that is

19. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I haven't watched it in a while, but I should point out that the Stand Alone Complex series of Ghost in the Shell isn't as action packed as it looks. I'm not sure about anything else related to the series.

S.A.C is still worth watching though.

20. Alberto7

^ While that is true, I do feel that it has that "action film" kind of feel, mainly because of Bato. The badassness of his character knows no bounds. But it's true, though; there aren't nearly as many fights as in other anime (if you're thinking DBZ, gtfo, nothing tops that :lol:). GitS is mainly philosophical and political talk. They manage to keep the mystery and suspense up at all times though.

I only watched the first two episodes as well :lol:. I haven't finished it. But, based on those two only (and what I've heard of it in general), I figured you'd like it.