Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. habicore_5150

habicore_5150 El Psy Congroove

I know I said I needed to get back into watching some more anime, but so far what I've been watching recently was:

Soul Eater:
    another gaming/anime friend of mine suggested that I go see this one, its actually pretty damn good. Got some funny moments, but still really good

.Hack//Sign: Been forever since I last seen this, was talking with the same guy about different anime and video games, and .hack just came up in the middle of the conversation, so I had to go back and watch the first episode again

Still slowly working my way back into watching anime again

2. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

Tip #1: Read the manga first.

Tip #2: Subs, not Dubs.

That's all I got. :lol:

Also, Rosario + Vampire is one of my other favorite mangas. :agreed:

3. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

4. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Oglaf is the big anime fan.

Hrath is just a weeaboo.

5. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

I didn't want to advise that for cyberpunk because of the second part of the anime. It's a memorable experience nonetheless, there are many animes which are depressing because of the story, but this one it's just the mood and the design. I felt so bad after each episode just because of that little thing I can't describe, a masterpiece indeed.

Is this one really good ? I avoided it because many people criticize it and say that the characters are not very interesting.

I can't believe I forgot Serei No Moribito. You say good watch but to me it's a MUST watch. Beautiful tale with beautiful images.

6. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

Most of the good stuff is already mentioned, these are just as great though:

Samurai Champloo : Very simple anime, with an unbelievably chill vibe to it and very fitting music. One of the best.

Xam'd Lost Memories : An epic journey to fulfill destiny with some nice steampunkish themes.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi : Very funny with some wtf moments, you dont have to like fighting to enjoy it.

Chaos Head : Internet madness and parallel dimensions, short and sweet, just watch it.

Gungrave : A great story about friendships, mafia and revenge.

Highschool of the Dead : The title says it all. Simple plot, AMAZINGLY well made though, super enjoyable.

Last Exile : Steampunk

7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

While this is, and still remains, among my top 5 favourite anime every, my biggest gripe is that the Rurouni Kenshin anime suffered the "waiting for the manga to finish for the anime to catch up" syndrome. And unfortunately, the Jinchu arch in the manga (the best part of the whole series) suffered because of this and resulted in the crappy and forgettable Tales of the Meiji anime filler arc. Such a shame as the Jinchu arc becoming an anime would have been beyond epic. :(

Despite all that, I still rate this extremely highly as one of my favourite anime of all time (tied along with SD Macross and Neon Genesis Evangelion). Manga over anime of course. The Reflection OVA, does an interesting job of wrapping everything up with a story post manga canon, despite the disapproval of the conclusion by the series creator.

8. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I don't understand, what's wrong with the second part? I'm just asking; I haven't seen it in a while, so I have definitely forgotten some things.

On the contrary, I found the two main characters to be delightful (albeit annoying at times... but that's part of their charm. Kind of like an annoying sibling :lol:). I remember there being a couple of characters that I wished had been developed a bit more, but all in all I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for love/friendship/family-relationships themes though, and there's a lot of that in this anime, so that's a good reason why I liked it a lot.

Absolutely. The only reason I said "good watch" is because I wanted to vary the language a bit :lol:. I think all of the ones I mentioned are a must watch (with the exception perhaps of Needless, Shinrei Tantei, and D. Gray-Man, which are all enjoyable, but not as memorable).

I love the fact that I haven't watched any of these. I will write these names down on my to-watch list.:yesway: (I've been meaning to watch Samurai Champloo for a while, but I keep putting it off).

You see, you're a big step ahead of me there :lol:. I haven't read the manga (which I know I should, because it contains the real ending to the story), so I don't have a reference point to know what's missing on the anime, as far as the pre-Shogo Amakusa arc goes. There are quite a lot of fillers in the anime, but I think even those do a very good job, and usually develop the characters a bit further. I'll probably get my sister to chip in with me to buy the manga (she reads much more manga than I do, so I doubt she'll say no :lol:). I know that after the Kyoto arc (Shishio), it's "non-canon," to put it that way, but I actually quite liked the Shogo Amakusa arc. The last arc, though, the one with the wind and water (or whatever element) families, is kinda weird, and I've always felt it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the series.

I also still haven't watched the Reflection OVA. I made the mistake of reading reviews of it before attempting to watch it, and they deterred me from doing so. I still want to watch it, but I keep putting it off. Still, though, Trust and Betrayal goes with me everywhere on my phone. I must have watched it like a million times. The music on it is so haunting and beautiful I often have to re-watch scenes. I especially like the opening scene. And Kenshin walking in the snow towards the end.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Without spoiling too much:

Canon via manga: After the Shishio Arc, Kenshin reveals the origin of his cross shaped scar through the events of Trust and Betrayal, which becomes the catalyst of the Jinchu arc. Everything in the anime after the Shisho arc, including the Amakusa arc was either filler or new arcs to compensate for the manga, much how Naruto got the same shaft. The one filler episode where Tomoe was mentioned was pretty neat though.

Reflection, is from the same makers of Trust and Betrayal OVA (including the awesome music of Taku Iwasaki) and consolidates the major parts of the entire story (sans Trust and Betrayal of course), and continues off to a new conclusion. The reviews are mixed, but don't let that stop you from seeing it. It's got the same dark gloomy mood mike the other OVAs. Once you finish the film, you can make up your own mind on the ending.

I forgot to mention Rurouni Kenshin: The Motion Picture. It's essentially a "gaiden" storyline more in the spirit of the anime, and its actually pretty cool. :yesway: However, DO NOT WATCH THIS DUBBED as the translation is way off to a point where key points don't make any sense.

10. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

my favorite anime series does not have ninjas, robots, super powers, wizards, swords, aliens, magic or anything normally found in the genre. yet it is one of the best out there imho.

11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Rurouni Kenshin was so awesome... when Hajime Saito showed up the first time, that was out of control epic. Shows up at the dojo, waits for Kenshin, lets him know he could have killed everybody while he was out. Comes back for an epic duel, one of the best shonen fight scenes of all time. It is really too bad they couldn't animate the Jinchuu arc... some day, though, I bet it'll happen.

12. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

^thats one i forgot.
    and then Natsume Yuujinchou-
    nabari no ou- probably mentioned
    Touhai Densetsu Akagi- if u like gambling
    witchblade
    forgetting this really good black and white anime cant think of the name of it atm

13. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

I meant that I wouldn't recommand it as a cyberpunk reference because of a big part where I don't really feel a cyberpunk vibe.

14. Alberto7

If that is the case, I will watch Reflection as soon as I have the chance to. Although I might wait until I finish the manga (already started it). I have the feeling that I will like having alternate endings to choose from (even though I've known for a while how both end :lol:), kind of like Evangelion.

That scene is well beyond amazing.

Aah okay okay, gotcha :yesway:. I didn't really know what cyberpunk was the time I watched it :lol: (and I haven't watched it since), so you might be right. Still though, from what I remember, the elements are there for the most part. A rebel/outcast that wanders around a future utopia where technology is bringing mankind's existence to an end. Of course, they mix that in with existentialist themes, and ridiculous amounts of popular references, ranging from mythology and philosophy, to modern day films and movies. I guess that makes it not be a "pure" cyberpunk, as it focuses on other things, too.

15. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Moe Motivation

16. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

Went to the local anime club. Uts pretty fun, theyve got a university hall booked for 4 hours so its on a huge screen. Seems to be my only way to.see new anime (i currently do.t have internet beyond my Phone)

17. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I decided to ignore Alberto's advice for some reason and watch the anime. I can't say I enjoyed it at all.

Suffers from a lot of older anime cliches, and has to try really hard to be over the top. I first tried watching a few years ago when I was getting into anime, so that must be why I initially enjoyed it so much.

18. habicore_5150

habicore_5150 El Psy Congroove

Just picked this up earlier ago
    [​IMG]

Its pretty good.
    I know I really need to get back into reading some manga. (and I need to pick this game back up and play it again)

19. Alberto7

That's why you always listen to good ol' me :flex:.................. :ugh:...

:lol: On a serious note, though, I only watched Elfen Lied once, but I did like it a lot. I guess I just didn't have a very critical eye at the time.

I read the manga later on though, and I realized it's just on a whole different level. I still recommend you read it :yesway:. Not only are the characters developed further (along with the introduction of many new, and very key, characters), but the plot goes on for much longer and the themes have a stronger presence throughout the series. Oh, and if you're a sucker for love stories like I tend to be, prepare to have your insides turn inside out.

20. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Does the manga have repeated instances of a certain character saying "Nyu!"?

If so, I don't want to read it. This isn't Pokemon.

Oh, and this came in the mail :)
    [​IMG]