Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

same

2. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

Ive been hanging out with a friend who is an anime freak,she really like to look at lolicon and yuri. Do ive been spend like an hour a day at school looking at vatiouse forms of hrbti with her...

3. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

Hey guys. Does anyone know if there is any good manga on Google play books? So I can read some on my phone?

4. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I thought this stuff was illegal in Australia? Not like they care to enforce it though.

5. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

:lol: you seem to more about Australia than I do, I don't think its illegal.

6. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Legality aside, you should probably tell your friend to not look at stuff like this at school.

7. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Hah, accidentally downloaded wrong anime a while back and misclicked it yesterday when I was suposed to watch something else. The fun part is that I ended up watching the whole first episode and I liked it. Told my friend about it and he said he hated it but fuck his opinion. :D (The anime is Hayate no Gotoku Can't Take My Eyes Off You, btw)

8. iamthefonz

iamthefonz SS.org Regular

So after watching Spirited Away (yes, it took me this long), I have a sudden obsession to buy every Ghibli movie I can find. Oooh, my wallet's not going to be to happy about that...

I'm also currently making my way through Psycho-Pass. Man, that shit got fucked up pretty quick.

9. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

What anime is this from?
    [​IMG]

10. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

One of the new Evangelion movies.

Started watching Planetes, it's fantastic. Really good portrayal of a near-future burgeoning space economy.

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Just to throw a question, because I've never really followed Anime hardcore, but recently my interest has grown. But whats good as far as Cyber-Punk or Futuristic-themed goes? I've watched Metropolis, the original Ghost in the Shell movie, Akira, all of Cowboy Bebop... I guess along those lines? I've also watched and enjoyed Last Exile, Trigun, Sgt. Frog (for a good laugh)...

12. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

The Ghost in the Shell SAC tv series is really good, and GitS 2: Innocence is probably my favorite Ghost in the Shell production. Other things by Mamoru Oshii are going to be good too, all the Patlabor movies, for instance. Kerberos stuff is good too but that's all live action films with one anime I haven't seen. Try Big O, too.

13. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

GitS SAC is what got me into anime. Well animated.

14. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

baslisk - made a movie of it 'heart under blade' amazing imo.
    mushishi
    blue exorcist
    fist of the north star
    sword of truth
    decendants of darkness
    x
    c

interlude- only previewed but looks good
    kurozuka- only previewed but looks good
    xxxholic
    spawn
    yoite

Demon City: Shinjuku
    Wrath Of The Ninja The Yotoden
    wicked city

missing a couple probably will remember them in a few

15. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

Die hard fan of code geass here. But after seeing the whole show numerous times I find the end to be crappy. I'm not gonna spoil but Lelouch is supposed to be a genius, so I don't think it was the only way to achieve his goals (I'm just talking for the last ep).

On the bloody side I love shiki and mirai nikki and if you like to be brainfucked go watch bakemonogatari and sayonara zetsubou sensei. I watch almost everything that is watchable so I could go on for days :lol:.

Just a little list of my favourites :

Black lagoon (badass action, when I say badass I mean BADASS)
    Nodame Cantabile (a must see if you like classical music)
    Bakuman ("smart" shonen about mangaka)
    Elfen Lied (my first bloody anime)
    K-on (musical shojo I guess, I love it because Yui is me when I was in highschool)
    Claymore (badass girls, big sword, demon guts)
    Yamato nadeshiko shichi henge (it's a comedy shojo I think but each time I watch it I die from laughter)
    Minami-ke (it's three sisters who live together, it's funny as hell because the characters are great, I'm sure those who have sisters/brothers will laugh)
    Jormungand (for those who like military badassness)

I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of great animes.

16. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

Elfen Lied has given me so many feels :(

17. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I never finished Elfen Lied. Got too weird, but now I want to watch it again.

18. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Read the manga. It's over 9000x better. :eek:

19. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I hear that a lot. Will do :yesway:

20. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Damn you, guys, creating an anime and manga thread. If there's something that gets me going for ages, it's anime :lol:. I'll try to just give my opinion on the ones I've watched, instead of going too much into plot and character details. I'll also try to be relatively brief here... though I don't guarantee it :lol:. Here goes my list:

SHOWS:

-Mahou Shojo Madoka Magica: I can't even. I love how the took the stereotypical magical girl anime (a la Sailor Moon) and turned it into an incredible anime full of mindfuckery. It's very short, too, but it's extremely concise, and fast, yet properly, paced, which is a plus (fan of shorter animes here, with a few exceptions)

-Higurashi no Naku Koroni: I hope I got the spelling right. Seriously, go watch it. It's so dark and so uncannily good. I don't remember much from it, but I remember obsessing with it for a while. It was strange, but great. Watch now.

-Ano Hana: Watch only if you want to hate life. It's the most depressing anime I've ever seen. It is cruelly sad and emotional. At the same time, it is immensely good. Very well done, and the art is great, too. I highly recommend it.

-Code Geass: Jesus fuck. It has to be one of the best I've ever seen. Many people compare it with Death Note. And rightly so; they're similar in many, many ways, but I like Code Geass better. I just love the MASSIVE array of memorable characters. Also, I'm part of the group who loved the ending. Regardless of it being good or not, it is certainly one of the most memorable endings in any anime I've ever seen. On my top 5.

-Cowboy Bebop: Do I really need to say it? One of my top 5 for sure. So fucking classy.

-D. Gray Man: It's good. Entertaining, sure. But not the best I've seen. Still, though, it's one of those "background shows" that aren't the best ever, but are good enough to keep you watching. It's also rather long (95 or so episodes, I think), so you'll have something to do on your free time for a while.

-Elfen Lied: Awesome anime. So full of feels. However, if you liked the anime, go read the manga. Now. It is so worth it. And I'm not particularly an avid fan of manga. This manga has so much more "feels" than the anime (not to mention the lack of plotholes and continuation of the story until the very end).

-Ergo Proxy: This is DEFINITELY for the guy who was asking about another cyberpunk anime previously on this thread. If you like "psychological" anime a la Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, and/or Paranoia Agent, mixed in with the best animation I have ever seen in anime (the first 5 episodes, at least... the rest are above par, but none like the first 5), and a really dark post-apocalyptic setting, this anime is for you.

-Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Again, I don't need to say why this anime is so great. The sheer intricacy of it is mesmerizing, but what truly got me were the concepts and ideas it presented. Very interesting, indeed. I watched the whole thing very recently (a few months ago. It's the last show I watched), but it instantly sank in as a classic. Top 5, too.

-Gosick: Great setting, and great plot. It starts off a little bland and cliche (first 3 episodes or so, which just serve as a base for the rest), but it turns into a GREAT mystery anime. It begins very Sherlock Holmes-esque, and it later turns into a more personal quest for the protagonists (while still keeping the element of mystery). A great watch. Recommended (as with anything on this list, as you've probably noticed by now :lol:).

-Needless: It's been a while since I watched this. Not all that great, but entertaining. Super tons of fan service, which isn't really my thing, but it makes it funny. Watch if bored.

-Neon Genesis Evangelion: Again... really? Do I need to explain? Okay, fine :lol:. Just amazing. It's great to have a mecha anime that doesn't really focus on the mecha aspect of it too much. It's just there because it's visually awesome. After watching the show a few times, there is so much reading to do on it. It's very open to interpretation, and there are many things that are barely implied throughout the series; like some of the motives that drive certain characters to do the things they do, etc etc. And it's so much more interesting now with the new movies coming out. Contrasting the original show and the original movies with the new show is proving super fun. The new movies are extremely good, albeit with a slightly different flavor from the original episodes. Another top 5.

-Paranoia Agent: This one is another extremely philosophical, open-to-interpretation kind of anime. It might not be to everybody's taste, but it's one of my personal favorites. The art is rather grotesque in some aspects, but it's extremely fitting. Recommended watch.

-Planetes: A top 5 for me. It's the epitome of sci-fi in my opinion. Their representation of the near future is so realistic and blatantly plausible. The main story is also really, really nice, and very moving. Ow my feelings.

-Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin: I am disappointed it hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread. Another top 5 for me. I love the fact that it's all based on true historical accounts. This anime is what got me interested in Japanese culture and history, and it teaches what I consider to be a good base if you're interested in learning those things. The anime itself is rather cheesy, but it's absolutely great. The OVA (Trust and Betrayal) is one of the most artistic examples of media that I have ever seen. It's absolutely beautiful in all departments. It definitely is up there fighting for the spot of my favorite anime ever (an award I still haven't given to any anime yet... so many good things out there!). Oh yeah, and did I mention that the music for both the show and the OVA is absolutely incredible? Check them out! The anime is long, but so worth it. Also, the live action film that came out last year is brilliant as well.

-Seirei No Moribito: I'd dare to say that it's the most consistently good anime when it comes to art and animation. Every frame of every episode is so carefully made, and the animation is great. Fight scenes are so extremely fluid. You can see each and every one of the moves that the characters make. Interesting plot, too. Good watch.

-Serial Experiments Lain: The epitome of psychological mindfuckery, in my opinion. A bit of a cyberpunk as well. I loved the art as well. It's so simplistic. The opening song is beautiful, too! It's "Duvet" by the band Boa. A classic that should be watched.

-Shigurui: My friend gave this to me as a gift, and I've watched the first couple of episodes, but I haven't finished it. I was not in the mood for it when I started watching it. I was not expecting that :lol:, very grotesque. It looks great though, I should finish it some time soon.

-Shinrei Tantei Yakumo: Not very good, compared to the other ones I've mentioned, but it was entertaining nonetheless. It's short, too, so not a lot of time wasted :lol:. Just a guy who can see ghosts and tries to solve mysteries. Very Ghost Whisperer-ish, sans Jennifer Love Hewitt (unfortunately :().

-Steins;Gate: Another modern masterpiece and instant classic. I loved the shit out of this one. I also watched this at a stage when I was getting into the science of time traveling, and weird quantum theories and things like that, so that made it better (I was watching Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe too, at the time of Steins;Gate). Yet another top 5.

-Tales of The Abyss: Great show. I'm dying to play the PS2 game though. Quite an epic. The show feels rather Final Fantasy-ish, for some reason. You can definitely tell that it's an adaptation from a videogame when you begin looking at it as a JRPG :lol:.

-Trigun: It took me so long to watch this. Instant classic. It was very Cowboy Bebop-esque. There is a key difference between the two shows, though, that I haven't been exactly able to pinpoint. The best way I've found to describe it is that while Cowboy Bebop is very "smooth jazz and rock n' roll," Trigun is very "Wild West blues."

-Usagi Drop: (or Bunny Drop) It's a very endearing and laid-back anime. It's very short too. It's one of those animes where nothing significant ever happens, but that you still want to keep on watching. Basically, it's about a guy who adopts his now-deceased grandfather's bastard secret daughter because nobody else in the family wants her, and how their relationship develops over the course of the following months. It finishes on a cliffhanger though.The manga apparently has a rather controversial ending, though, so I'm avoiding it :lol:.

FILMS:
    (I haven't watched many, actually).

-Spirited Away: Stop reading. Go watch.

-Princess Mononoke: A bit more mature than Spirited Away (coming from the same people; Studio Ghibli), but still an extremely beautiful film. You'll feel like living in the forest among the trees for the rest of your life. I feel it brings to attention a lot of issues with society nowadays.

-5 cm Per Second: Not from Studio Ghibli, but on the same level as Miyazaki's movies. Beautiful everything about this movie. It's extremely emotional, and the music doesn't help. It also has one of my favorite endings in all of anything ever. It's just so unexpected, and it conveys such a meaningful message. Go and watch it.

-Ghost in The Shell: The very first one (1995) is great. My favorite of them. Innocence (the sequel to the first GitS) was good, but it didn't have the appeal of the first one. Solid State Society (the direct sequel to SAC 2nd Gig) was absolutely great, although I would have liked it better if they'd made it into a third season rather than a movie (easier said than done, I know, but a man can dream); there was a lot that could have been expanded upon.

-Cowboy Bebop: It's just as great as the anime. It's just like another episode of the anime, except longer, with perhaps better animation, and with a larger sense of completeness to it (due to the expanded time slot).

-Neon Genesis Evangelion: Well, the movie order for this one is a mess, so I'll just say that they're all great if you watch them from the right angle. One of them (Death & Rebirth, I believe) is series re-cap sans the last two episodes, plus an alternative ending to the original show. Another movie (The End of Evangelion) is yet another re-telling of the ending. Personally, it's my favorite ending to the original show so far. Then there are the four "Rebuild of Evangelion" films that are still coming out (they're on the 3rd, so far), which are absolutely great. Completely re-animated, a new re-telling of the original plot, and quite a different feel to it. They're much more straight to the point, with less of the philosophical meanderings that often led the original show into dark pits of unintelligible whatthefuckery.

I'm probably missing a few films, and I'm obviating some of the more classic anime (Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, etc etc etc).

PS: I think there are about 6 top 5's in that list... make that a top 6 or 7. Deciding on a favorite anime is not easy.

isispelican likes this.