Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

It's actually always been pretty expensive, the western prices are just finally catching up with the Japanese ones. 500 bucks for the BD Giant Robo collection? You bet your ass. That's an OVA that's only 5 episodes or so long, too.

Watching Baccano right now. Not as good as I thought it was going to be, but I think it'll pick up.

2. phrygian12

phrygian12 SS.org Regular

Probably not a U.S. Release. There's a few blurays with English subtitles and of course Bluray's are not region locked, but yeah imports are always going to be pretty pricey and the marketing in Japan is pretty out dated.

Anime is sort of a popular/dying media if that makes any sense. It's very over priced in Japan. They're marketing is pretty outdated. Here in the states we can buy a full season anywhere from $20 to $60. While in Japan they sell single volumes around $40 to 70 each.

I think Bandai had a fall out with the North American branch or whatever because they still wanted to make single volumes for $40 a piece.

Who's going to buy 20 something episode or more with only 3 to 4 episodes per disc at $30? It's not really selling in Japan, what makes them think it'll work here? Kinda sad though because they were going to release, " Turn A Gundam" in the U.S.

And then you have collectors selling, out of print U.S. releases for insane prices. I really want to add Ronin Warriors, to my collection...but daaaaaamn they're selling the complete collection for like $449 on amazon. I should of grabbed one when they were pretty common and very cheap.

3. gamber

gamber SS.org Regular

sweet glad i stumbled on this, im really big into animes now as that i have the time for it.
    my some great ones to check out are: Evangelion (possibly the best there is), Guilty Crown, Eureka 7, Fate stay night/zero, Sword art online, Chaos head, Mirai Nikki, Bakemonogatari ( some of the best art and music), Code Geass, and possibly one of the best ive seen Darker Than Black.

Feel like a major dork now........uhh insert Djent here

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

It's been a while since I've sat down to watch anime. Particularly new ones, which a lot doesn't seem to interest me nowadays. Last new ones I saw were Sengoku Basara and Gintama... not all that new. :(

In fact I've been going back to classic anime like the Patlabor TV series and the Area 88 OVAs instead.

Once I go back home, I need to watch the Macross Plus movie. I've seen the series way too many times but not bothered with the movie at all. Odd... :ugh:

5. Polythoral

Polythoral Hipster Mustaine

Just started watching Ef - A Tale Of Memories and I cannot stop watching episodes. IT'S GOING TO BE A LONG NIGHT.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Don't bother, Gantz has one of the worst endings of all time for an anime (most people feel the same thing) and there's a small group of episodes where a new group of kids end up in the game and the "twist" is generic as all fuck.

7. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

I grew up on Mecha Anime. Stuff like Grandizer, Mazinger (Z), Daltanious, Kotetsushin Jeeg (the original version), Gaiking (again, original), etc. Is there any Giant Robo or sci-fi style Anime worth watching these days? I don't care if it's fan service or whatever, I just want to see some well drawn or animated tech. I really liked that stuff when I was a kid, but watching it now makes me wonder how I ever even made it through an episode.

Agreed with others, gantz was pretty cool until the ending, which was lame.
    I was watching Black for a while, but sort of lost track of where I was. Any thoughts on that series?

8. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Watch Shin Mazinger Shogeki Z Hen and Giant Robo: The Animation if you haven't already.

edit: and Gurren Lagann, of course. The problem I have with recommending that is that nearly every single frame of the show is a reference to something else from the history of anime, so if you're not familiar with it you're not going to pick up on them. It's not really a big deal since it stands on its own, anyway.

Also by the same studio, Gunbuster- it's up there with Akira as far as anime that had an affect on the entire industry goes. Worth noting, it's essentially a mecha themed parody of a Tennis anime made in the 70's for young girls. It's a bit more sci-fi than super hero like the other shows, but it's still a good watch.

9. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I might be in a small minority but I thought Gurren Lagann peaked in the first ten episodes then was just really meh after that... did not get what the fuss was about at all, and I didn't like the robots all that much.

Big O is another one you could try. it's like Batman except with giant robots

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Did Berserk ever get more episodes added onto it? I think it ended at 33, and I know there's going to be a new movie coming out but I'd hoped there was more than that to it.

11. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

No, it ended right during the Eclipse. The movies are basically starting from the beginning and intend to cover everything from the manga. I'm not much of a manga guy, but I seriously love Berserk. It's got amazing art.
    I'm not a big fan of Gurren Lagann either, but it's got great animation and action all throughout. The continuing escalation is what makes it fun.

As far as Big O goes, that's one of my favorites. Up there in the top 3.

12. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Berserk only had 25 episodes, and then the new trilogy of movies cover what happened in those 25 episodes in a seriously abridged fashion. In the third movie they add back in a few things that got cut from the first series - Puck shows up and so does Skull Knight. Then the new movies will be covering stuff that has never been animated before, but they are probably a year+ away.

13. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

I tried Gurenn Lagann, but couldn't connect with it much.
    I'll check out the others. Thanks guys!

14. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Thinking of rewatching Angel Beats! or Mirai Nikki. But I have watched both last summer so they're still in pretty fresh memory. :ugh:

15. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I need something new to watch... Started Welcome to the NHK not too long ago, actually haven't finished it yet, I'm sort of stuck in the middle... I think it depresses me too much x: It just reminds me of things that happened in my own life...

Some favorites of mine were Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, BECK, Code Geass and Death Note of course, Trigun... probably a few more, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. any suggestions?

Oh yeah, and saw Neon Genesis Evangelion a few months ago. Shit was fucked up. And I still don't think I understood that...

16. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Steins;Gate

Durarara!!

Mawaru Penguindrum

Not really sure how to describe them, they're all a bit... complicated. Steins;Gate is a drama with a bit of comedy and some sci-fi elements, it has some really good character development and the plot grabs you by the throat halfway through the series. Durarara!! is a pretty stylish and original anime with lots of weird and interesting shit - an Irish mythological figure in modern Tokyo who's riding a motorcycle instead of a horse, strange gangs, an Afro-Russian who helps run a sushi shop, all sorts of bizzare stuff. Mawaru Penguindrum is a bit unusual in its presentantion and art style. It's basically about two brothers searching for a Penguin Drum (don't ask) to help their sister who's terminally ill. They are assisted by three invisible penguins (who are utterly useless). Shit's weird :lol:

Meh. NGE is extremely overrated, imo.

17. Choop

Choop n______n

I watched Darker Than Black a while back after just checking it out on a whim on netflix, and I'm so glad I did. It really surprised me at being super awesome, despite the silly title. Recommend!

Haven't seen a good anime in a while. I'll probably use some of the suggestions in this thread..

Oh. I've been rewatching the DBZ abridged. Seriously, TFS are geniuses. :lol:

18. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

I forgot to mention fooly cooly! Haha I got my girlfriend interested in that a while back and i just bought her the DVD. I plan on getting the bluray as well.

These past couple of days I just bought
    Ghost in the shell
    2 cowboy bebop boxsets
    Fooly cooly
    Cowboy bebop 6th session DVD
    Also got a ghost in the shell whiteout figurine!

Most of this stuff was a a good price my new anime legends cowboy bebop boxset being the most exspensive!

Cant wait to see ghost in the shell again! I havnt seen that since like 2001 lol

19. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

AKIRA fan made trailer. This is the first teaser to the actual trailer.
    I don't know how to embed because its something that should be more simple but it's not so here's the link

Akira Project - teaser # 1 on Vimeo

20. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Saw this while browsing Experience Project.
    [​IMG]

so yeah...