Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

finished Deadman Wonderland, really intense......now I have to wait a shitload of time for a second season or the continuation of the manga :(

2. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

All i can say is
    Kawaii Desu.

But seriously, ive been qatching one peice recently. Just finiahed watching deadmans wonderland a week ago, and am planing on watching marchen awakens romance.

3. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Damn this Initial D. :eek: I started watching this on Monday and now I'm at episode 15. I knew this was good because my friend told me but damn, I didn't except this to be one of those where you just have to watch another episode and another and another... Don't know how interesting this would be to those who aren't into the whole drifting thing but I haven't thought about anything else since last weekend than drifting so this show really hits the spot for me.

4. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Black Lagoon! Jesus Christ I fucking loved that series. Quickly jumped up to one of my favorites ever. Did you watch the whole thing including the Roberta OVAs? Maaaan so badass... the manga is finally starting up again now too after a very long hiatus so hopefully we will get some more before long.

Baccanno! I am a little less sure about... beautifully animated to be sure, the story jumping all over the place was kinda neat, but I dunno. Never really hooked me in the way I thought it would. It had a lot of larger than life characters but didn't really do enough with them for my liking.

Is Claymore actually a serious show? I thought it was just a fanservice anime but I might be mistaking it for something else.

Initial D is classic shonen anime, just with cars instead of martial arts and slightly better than usual pacing. They just started 5th Stage a couple months ago after a huge break too, looking forward to watching those. Also I hope you are watching the subbed version with the original music. NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO

I'm 10 episodes into Steins;gate right now. This show has been very consistently surprising this whole time, really liking it, and I heard episode 12 is when things get really crazy.. if it actually gets better than it has been, Wow.

sounds like I'll line up Dead Man Wonderland to watch after this one.

5. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Yeah, definitely watching the subbed version. Love the eurodance soundtrack. :lol:

Steins;Gate was very good and it really gets better towards the ending. Remember to watch the OVA too even though it wasn't that good..

6. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

ok, now I Slept a normal amount of hours so I can do a proper post :lol:

I really dug the story, atmosphere and characters of DW, something that I did't liked about it is that an aspect of the story is very similar to Elfen Lied
    the double personality of Shiro, although I feel it can be implemented way better here, and the way she devoloped this double personality has a bit more coherence IMO
    is a shame that the anime was a bit rushed towards the end and there are many loose ends, I hope the manga can help a bit, and, If it has some sucess on Toonami, a second season can happen (I read that the sales of this anime in Japan were TERRIBLE, under 1000 sales)

anyways, any recomendation on another anime? Im just looking for something with a good story, preferable under 50 episodes, and that is finished, currently torn between Claymore, Steins;gate or Gantz, I don't have a clue about what they are about though :lol: do you guys have another suggestion?

7. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Steins;gate is about an otaku "mad scientist" who invents a time machine mostly be accident. He refers constantly to an organization pursuing him but that is mostly a manifestation of his extreme social awkwardness... except I think there actually is an organization after him, SERN (obviously the real life) CERN who have invented a time machine of their own. They rule the future and I assume this guy is going to stop them somehow.

Gantz is about a kid who dies except he's resurrected as a fighter in some kind of ultraviolent game show where you kill aliens. I only read the first part of manga... it read like a high schooler's fever dream. Very bizarre but I still have an itch to go back and check out the rest. Never seen the anime.

8. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Don't forget the best part. The protagonist is obsessed with Dr Pepper, a drink only for the chosen ones. :hbang:

9. Greyvy

Greyvy SS.org Regular

There's actually not much fanservice in Claymore, it's alright.

Anyone watch Fate/Zero?

10. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I started it back in 2010, but never finished. I remember liking it even though I had no clue what was going on.

11. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

12. Polythoral

Polythoral Hipster Mustaine

Kotoura-San, stahp.

13. flavenstein

flavenstein SS.org Regular

14. SpaseMoonkey

SpaseMoonkey SS.org Regular

Azumanga Daioh! Such a weird Anime.

15. phrygian12

phrygian12 SS.org Regular

I finished Akira a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

I've seen the movie and had read only a few volumes when I was a kid, but recently I went to an anime convention and bought all six phone book volumes.

YES, it's much better than the film. I love the movie and what not, but there's just so much more in the comics! IMO it would of been better if they made it a film trilogy or a series.

Anyway, both the film and comics are worth a look.

16. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal ^ Evolution's Cure ^

I don't read mangas a lot at all but i watch and collect a butt load of anime.

Off the top of my head, some of my standout animes that i really dig whether episodic series or movies:

- Samurai Champloo
    - Berserk (i hear the mangas are awesome, and a movie is in the works)
    - anything Street Fighter related
    - Hellsing both Ultimate OVA and regular series
    - Escaflowne is my JAM!! also similarly Gundam
    - Shigurui: Death Frenzy (very fucked up but also one of the most captivating 12 or so episodes i've ever seen from anything. Original story line, great voice acting and original approach to character development. Must watch!)
    - Ninja Scroll (the movie's muuuuch better than the series i find, must buy!)
    - Death Note (haven't finished it yet but so far i'm loving it)

and would the Beast Wars, Beast Machines series be applicable here?? technically anime but an American production rather than Japanese... :shrug:

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Just finished Steins;gate. It was fucking AWESOME, can hardly wait to watch it again! Things should make more sense the second time around..

18. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I'm watching Mirai Nikki. Murder is always fun.

19. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Man, I would want to rewatch it but I probably should finish the Initial D first. :(

20. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

Just recently started watching Anime again! Here are some favorites most of them I saw on toonami when I was younger.

Cowboy Bebop
    Samurai champloo
    Akira
    Guyver (the older 12 episode version)
    Outlaw star
    Dragon ball Z
    Tenchi muyo/universe
    Gundam 8th MS team

Bebop is my all time favorite! My dog chewed on my box set that paid $20 new for. I went online to get another copy and it is like $150!! Super mad but I'm waiting for another boxset. I also have some older session DVDs before the remix.

Thinking about getting the bebop manga don't have much experience with manga though.

It's strange how EXPENSIVE anime is becoming. Ronin warriors for $500 WTF!