Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Have you played Valkyria Chronicles by any chance? It's almost a similar premise in VC's case WWII instead of I.

2. Bloody_Inferno

While everyone's doing the weekly wait for Attack On Titan season 2....

I had to rewatch episode 1 of Zaregoto to continue as I've forgotten it's premise, but now I've got through my 3 episode rule of judgment, I'm more invested. Not because of a certain trio releasing the ED as a single, actually... that's totally the reason. :lol:

Zaregoto is actually quite an intriguing series. A Cluedo like premise in which a nameless protagonist is central to the mystery despite his best attempts of trying keep away from so. The first 2 episodes is spent on setting up each character before the murders start to happen. One thing's for sure: almost all the characters have a perk that makes you hate them in some way, and it works especially when it comes to pointing the finger at a potential suspect.

The 2 main characters are you typical archetypes: the nameless main dude is a typical anime kid with the severe case of blue balls, and a super cute bright haired girl who's not what she seems. A lot of time is spent in their dynamic as they discuss everything from all the other characters to the murder mystery etc. So the anime relies heavily on dialog that requires your utmost attention. It's as slow as a snail's pace but it's quite enjoyable.

3. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Been a while since I've watched much anime. I've been getting my Japanese fix by watching old fansubs of Hello! Morning, the variety show that starred members of the J-pop group Morning Musume. :lol::lol::lol:

It's so dumb, but I just can't. Stop. Watching it.

4. NotDonVito

NotDonVito a.k.a Don Vito 2011-2016 master shitposter

Growing up, I hated anything popular and shonen, but now I'm catching up on all of this stuff now that I'm burn't out on moe. Hunter X Hunter and JoJo mainly. I'm reading JoJo and waching the 2012 anime, and Hunter X Hunter, I've only seen the 2011 version.

And Dragon Ball Super. This arc has been pretty good, but I wish there wasn't so much filler leading up to the tournament. I mean, I really don't want to see Goku and Android 17 saving animals from a UFO. It doesn't fit at all, especially with 17's character. But they're gonna ham it up and say "17 realized he couldn't bare the thought to lose all of his animals, so he agreed to enter the tournament of power". I feel like I'm watching Noah's Ark Shippuden.

5. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

^ Hunter x Hunter is the t!ts. Save for the storytelling over 80% of the Chimera Ant arc, that whole show is love.

DBS has been great. I've been enjoying every second of it. The Krillin vs Goku fights we've gotten take me way back, and I like how they adhere back to a theme that had been lost in the series looooong ago: the spirit of martial arts.

Also, wtf happened to your main account? :lol:

6. NotDonVito

Cool, good to hear that with Hunter X Hunter. Just out of curiosity, have so seen the 1999 version? I started the 2011 series like mid-way though and have no context to what's going on, so I wanted to restart the entire series someday.

With Krillin in DBS(and eventually Muten Roshi and Tien), they really seem to be getting away from the power level element. It's hard to wrap your head around it, but I think it's a good thing in the long run.

My account, it's a long story, but I reinstalled Windows a couple months ago including my browser and realized that the 2011 email I used for the account went out of business, so I couldn't retrieve my password. Almost lost all my Steam games too because of that :ugh:

7. NotDonVito

guiz nyaa is down again ;_;

8. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

I heard, it's for good this time. At least here in Europe some new law about piracy got passed and the owner of the site got scared and drove down the site. :(

9. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Re:Creators is so damn good. I like the concept of fictional characters from various media coming to life and seeking their own creators, and that it's a 22-episode original anime series.

I'll give it a few days and it'll be up again, and yeah it sucks that I can't download an archive of what I (want to) watch at the moment.

10. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

you tried horriblesubs?

11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Watched the final episode of Naruto: Shippuden over the weekend. I'm a little disappointed because it could've been better and shown more of the events. (All of the main characters, including Naruto, have pretty much no screen-time in the final episodes.) Still, it was a pretty emotional closer.

Man, I've come a long way since I made this post.

I watched all 220 episodes of the original series and all 500 episodes of Shippuden. Now, I'm just catching up on the last few movies that I need to watch.

Personally, I don't think that Boruto will be able to carry the flame and keep the legacy going. Something about it just seems off about it... A lot of these spin-offs and "next generation" continuations always seem to go weird.

12. Bloody_Inferno

Finished Season 2 of Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. It's good, but I have concerns...

[mild spoilers]

In my last text dump on Season 1, I stated IBO was less Gundam and more guerilla, with the usual tropes hanging in the background. Season 2 brings all the Gundam right back in the forefront and hard. Oh, the Tekadan are still the main focus, but now they have politics, the other factions, conspirators, insurgents rising to rebellion, 2 Char clones and a body count that will make even Tomino to tell writer Mari Okada to "chill out" a bit. So far so Gundam, and I'm not complaining.

The action is good, and the plot is strong while still retaining what made IBO unique. I like how the main mobile suit is upgraded unceremoniously and not completely overpowered - a stick I will beat Seed/Seed Destiny repeatedly for all eternity. The implant system takes an interesting turn and Mikazuki, while taking the 'too cool' persona to breaking point of annoyance, can't be helped but understand granted the situation he and his crew are in. Surprisingly he doesn't really do all that much, but the conceit is that it's not just Mikazuki, but the whole Tekadan crew and it's members are what serves as main characters. They are one unit rather than a sum of parts, and they look out for each other, a touching them that gets you invested in each member. There's even a gay character that his arc actually feels genuine rather than forcefully tacked.

However, the season got a bit bloated with even more characters added to the already large cast leaving a lot of underdevelopment. Some characters just straight up go away for a bit then show up in a contrived obligatory reminder that they're still around. 2 particular major characters get the short end; one of them spends his entire arc on a massive build up only to blow his load early and spends the rest of the season with one screw up after another, big disappointment actually, considering his role. The other one suddenly gets a complete character change once the war is over: this one didn't bother me so much as it's an indication on how war affects a character, but the change felt sudden and shoehorned. A few subplots with Mobile Armors and rival/support characters go absolutely nowhere, and way too many plotlines left dangling and unresolved.

But my biggest gripe of the series are the telegraphed deaths. You see them coming a mile away, which softens the impact. Also, PSA to every anime ever:
    If you're going to off a character for an episode, DO NOT NAME THE EPISODE AFTER THAT CHARACTER. It's bad enough you give him all the screen time to foreshadow their eventual death, but come on. I know Gundam practically invented this trope, but if you're going to rip our hearts out and kick us in the goolies for good measure, don't publically announce it and walk up to us from the other side of the country at a snail's pace before doing so. At least make it unexpected to really make it meaningful. I will say that 2 deaths did caught me off guard, one of them just earlier than I expected.

The series concludes not too dissimilarly to Code Geass R2 and Char's Counterattack, though not as strong as either due to the problems I stated. Again a few aspects of the ending feeling rather forced, almost reeks of interference from Sunrise telling Mari Okada to "lighten up a bit", but still a satisfying end. It doesn't touch Gundam 00's level of greatness, but it's still better than the disappointing Age or Reconguista In G, and definitely miles ahead of the recent mecha series I've seen late (coughBBKBRKAldnoahZeroMacrossDeltaunconvincingcough). Seriously, screw Macross Delta.

TL/DR: A strong if not flawed entry to the Gundam legacy, still fun and worth checking out.

13. NotDonVito

I watched IBO up until episode 14 or something like that, so just S1? I wasn't much interested in it at first since I'm not very acquainted with the Mobile Suit franchise, but started getting into to once they got to Earth. Should pick it back up sometime.

Thanks man, didn't know they had their own site. Almost missed my weekly DB Super fix.:yesway:

Speaking of that, the new episode was great, so much more interesting than the 17 episodes IMO. I just like Tien as a character, he's always cool and level headed.
    Honjuri Monjuri

Happy Piccolo day btw :hbang:
    [​IMG]

14. NotDonVito

....ing christ how have I never seen this :rofl:

15. Alberto7

^ You do know that's the actual, official English dub made by ADV and approved by Aniplex, right? :rofl: I'm surprised you hadn't heard of it, it's a legend within the anime community! :lol:

16. Bloody_Inferno

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this:

One crucial point that the vid missed: elaborate and complicated bass lines.

17. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I finished watching Flip Flappers last night. Overall I enjoyed it, since it's nice to see a "mature" take on Mahou Shoujo that doesn't try to do it by being overly gory or gritty.

My only real issue with it was that the last episode was a bit of a turd. I can't quite put my finger on why, though. Maybe it's because they were trying to shoe-horn too much in to the ending, or maybe they just didn't know where they really wanted to go so they kinda... pulled something out of their asses. Either way, it wasn't a very fulfilling climax at all. Not as unfulfilling as Madoka, but unfulfilling nonetheless.

The art seemed to take a dip for that last episode, too, but considering how much the show tried to mix up the style/art direction throughout the course of the series, I couldn't tell whether that was intentional, or the result of something like budget restraints or a change in personnel. Whatever the case, it was mildly jarring.

Still a fun series overall, though.

EDIT: OH, just remembered, there were a couple instances of fanservice that were a bit... uh... uncomfortable.

...and that's coming from ME, Mr. Watches-More-Ecchi-Than-Is-Probably-Healthy. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. Alberto7

Omfg that video was so perfect! :rofl::rofl: The captions were hilarious too. I could actually picture it all in my head in excruciating detail.

And regarding Dragon Ball Super, am I the only one who has REALLY enjoyed these last few episodes? Episode 90, Goku vs Gohan, was so badass, up there with (if not better than) the recent episode with Goku training with Krillin. I really, REALLY like the way they're sort of breaking out of the linear power-up progression and focusing more on actual fight dynamics and the character's different approaches to martial arts. I feel like this whole saga is a huuuge breath of fresh air for the series.

Also, new intro is so badass. Dragon Ball OPs always get me so pumped! I've been watching the show almost religiously before going to karate training :lol: it gets me high on energy.

... and yeah, I realize that my occasional DBS paragraphs are mainly just an ongoing conversation between me and Don. :rofl:

19. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

im also really enjoying db super. i watch the show every saturday night as well as read the manga every time a new chapter comes out. i really wish i hadn't seen those huge spoilers for up through episode 93 but whatever im sure it'll be cool even knowing whats happening sort of.

i watched season 1 of my hero academia right before season 2 started completely by sheer luck. i was all like, "man i wish there were more episodes..." and then the universe delivered, so im watching that weekly as well. debating on catching up to the manga but ill probably wait until this seasons over just because im really enjoying it. super rad that funimations doing the whole simuldub thing for it btw.

ever since i caught up to the once piece manga ive been way less into the show. like i still watch weekly but its more because i feel like the current arc needs to be in color to really get the most out of it. todays chapter was really cool though.
    seeing dory and broggy, then kashi and oimo talking about going to look for them eventually, and then hajrudin training to become a warrior made me super happy. i dont know how i feel about mother caramel's character though. she probably should have been more stern with linlin instead of just being like, "thats not cool but you meant well so its whatever" but like i said, dunno. excited to see more of elbaf though; hopefully we get some insight onto what the tree is at some point. and theres no break next week so thats cool.

20. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I watched the latest episode of Re:Creators hours ago, and it was definitely a turning point for the series. It finally got a lot more interesting after episodes full of exposition and a few fight scenes.

But I hate that I'll have to wait for a new episode every seven days for the next four months (though I find it better than the "Netflix" all-at-once model because that would kill a lot of hype for me).