Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

The anime stops halfway through the manga and has its own self-contained ending. But I'm very interested in reading the manga (and I don't read manga either actually). I figured that the manga would be better because it has far more time to develop the characters, get the reader attached to them, and increase the feels.

Is there anywhere online that has an English translation of the manga? Sadly, I don't read Japanese, and the manga was never licensed for a published English translation.

2. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

There's plenty of free sites that has manga, but some of them are banned in US so it might take some time to find one that works or you could hide your VPN (not sure if that works).

3. Emperor Guillotine

I was looking into this yesterday. I found several sites on my computer (right off Google), but the issue with all of the sites is that I was having to wait for each manga page to load, then refresh, then I had to resize each page after it refreshed so that it fit my screen without me having to constantly scroll up and down.

It just flat-out was impossible to do and didn't work.

I found several apps for mobile, and I'm A/B testing them now.

4. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

I never really found it problematic to have to scroll the page so can't help there. :shrug:

Finished Elfen Lied today. No wonder I couldn't remember anything about the last episode because it sucked. Now I really want to read the manga and see how the story actually ends. :lol:

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Take it no one knows anything about a Metropolis blu-ray?

Anyway, I noticed Sword Art Online II is on Netflix. The original is potential my favorite anime ever (maybe not so much the fairy stuff, but that wasn't terrible). Has anyone watched II yet? I almost threw it on the other day before realizing there was only the original Japanese track. I'll still watch it, that just means I have to pay extra close attention.

6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Any recommendations from 2016?

Got sucked into TV series but managed to watch a few and Im pretty sure Im forgetting a lot:

One Punch Man & Mob Psycho
    Erased
    Ushio to Tora
    *Forgot to finish Kabaneri and the new Gundam

I started watching Re:Zero and Liking a lot so far :)

7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

91 Days.

It's what I'm watching right now (9 episodes in). I chose it out of the blue, as I wanted a revenge story. The setting is cool and original by anime standards (set during the prohibition era USA) and it's engrossing as all hell. While it's short (12 episodes), the show demands your utmost attention, as any blink will make you miss key character intros and scenes.

Highly recommended.

I did a massive writeup a few pages back. Though I practically crucified the series as a whole, I did like SAO Season 2 more than Season 1 overall (despite the crappy 2nd arc sandwiched in between 2 solid arcs).

8. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Thanks for the recommendation, currently watching drifters and Re:zero.
    I had seen great reviews about that one as well. Will report back when finished :hbang:

9. Bloody_Inferno

Finished 91 Days, and my recommendation from my previous post only got stronger.

The plot itself is simple: just think Batman revenge story, booze soaked during Prohibition era US. And by Prohibition meaning, everyone is part of, or associated with the Mafia syndicate. It's all very intriguing, filled with all sorts of betrayal, skullduggery and murder. And at 12 episodes, everything happens at a brisk pace that as I said before, really requires your utmost attention, as every scene, dialogue and character are focal to the story. There's no filler here. It's a vice steadily cranking up tension with absolutely no release until the finale.

Visually, it feels weak at first as everything looks as if it's been filtered through a greyish brown hue. No vibrant colours here. But it all ads to the booze soaked, cigarette stenched noir setting. Everything is meant to look dire and depressing so the look suits really well.

If I'm going to nitpick at flaws, there's 2 that come to mind.

It'd be stubborn, churlish and counterproductive for me to continue to bag out clip shows in anime... so I'll continue to do so here. :fawk: I can't stand clip shows and there was no need for an extra episode to air midway dedicated exclusively to recaps, especially with a tight and cohesive plot like this. Though consider 91 Days throwing you a bone if you so happen to answer a text, look away or have a tiny attention span during the first 7 episodes.

The second is the main character design; it's a little to shonen to fit in late 1920s America. They could've at least made it a little more believable, whilst all the other supporting cast fit right in, even with their own anime style looks, the main character sticks out like a sore thumb. Again, it's only nitpicking as he's a solid character.

91 Days was a shot in the dark for me. It's not my usual cup of tea and I certainly wouldn't have watched it if I didn't stumble on to the series. But I'm sure as hell glad I did, as this was an amazing series through and through. Watch this series if you haven't done so already. :yesway:

10. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Some amazing anime I've watched over the last year:

Guren Lagann
    Kill La Kill
    Hunter X Hunter (amazing!!!)
    Seven Deadly Sins
    Hataraku Maou-sama (Satan is a Part-timer...just started this)

I'm waiting on One Punch Man and Attack On Titan season 2 to come out!!

by the way, what do you guys think of my anime-fight scene inspired composition??

https://soundcloud.com/berial-feilong29/chocolate-candy-bars-demo-2

11. Emperor Guillotine

Finished watching Boogiepop Phantom tonight. It's a true mind-bender. I'll probably read the light novels and manga soon so that I can understand the full story. Then I'll go back and watch the anime again.

12. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

I liked the first season of Ajin--haven't yet watched the second one. Knights of Sidonia and Gargantia the Verdurous World were good. Your Lie in April was great, though, the dialogue can get a little too teen drama at times. Jellyfish Princess is another good one.

13. Bloody_Inferno

I just tried to look this up and it looks like ordering the UK Blu-Ray is probably your best bet sadly. Aside from that there's been zero news on anything about a Blu-Ray release outside Japan.

14. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I may go this route if it's not region locked. Really want to own a blu-ray copy of this movie.

15. Bloody_Inferno

That StarCraft thread reminded me that I did a writeup of the Street Fighter 2 animated film back in page 103. It was something that I thought was fun and guess now's a nice time to do another essential classic anime film. Namely my favorite anime film of all time:

[​IMG]

Royal Space Force/The Wings of Honnêamise is a movie I like to revisit every few years. Released way back in 1987, I didn't get to see it until 1995. It was one of the first, if not the first anime that made me think of the medium much more seriously. Whenever any of my friends would say that anime is just cartoons for kids, this movie was my proud retort. Seriously, it wasn't just a feature film, Wings of Honnêamise is a work of art.

Being a Gainax production, yes it involved future big hitters like Hideki Anno and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. This was also Gainax and Bandai Visual's first big film project so they went all out. The animation is stunning by 1987 standards and amazingly, it's aged extremely well and still looks great today.

The plot is simple. Based in an alternate Earth, after failing to get into the Air Force and just drifting along through an unremarkable life, Shirotsugh Lhadatt (get used to the names here), has instead ended up the Royal Space Force: a laughing stock of the nation despite its ostensibly lofty ambitions. But all things change when a death of a fellow astronaut and an encounter with a religious woman causes Shiro to take a hold on his life and become the first man in space.

Long story short, a below average Joe gets off his complacent ass and shoots for the stars seeking redemption.

But beneath the simple premise lies the richness in which why Wings of Honnêamise is so damn special:

The simple plot weaves other subplots and expositions beautifully while still remaining cohesive.

Slacker to space pioneer remains the root of this movie's plot tree with everything else branching out. It also remains surprisingly grounded throughout the whole movie despite picking up with pace on the second act. Having the Royal Space Force actually working harder than normal and becoming to be taken seriously in the kingdom will obviously reap some heavy political repercussions and raise all sorts of tension. The use of exposition is done really well when it’s presence is felt but without dwelling too much into it, and there’s a lot of wordless scenes that tell so much. A great ‘show than tell’ example.

The characters are amongst the most humane in the entire medium.

There's no perfect cipher here. Each character is flawed and at times ugly, and even up to the point where you don't condemn the bad decisions they make. The cynicism of the RSF employees is astounding. "We'll strap you up and shoot you out... then BANG! A hero's death!" as Marty Tohn (voiced by Bryan Cranston no less), loudly declares to Shiro with extreme glee. The scene where Shiro declares his ambition is priceless. You actually relate to the cynicism while you watch the group just wallowing in their own mediocrity, but at the same time you really want Shiro to succeed while dragging his reluctant friends with him.

Shiro himself is a great character. He makes the same human decisions and at times without thinking them through. You relate to him more as the plot progresses as the weight of his status crushes him down. Shiro's religious friend Riquinni Nonderaiko (see what I mean by names) herself is another anchor keeping the film grounded. All her screentime adds more depth not just to Shiro's spiritual enlightenment but has a full sympathetic subplot that doesn't get in the way. The movie's full of relatable and likeable characters overall.

The music is sensational.

Ryuichi Sakamoto did the music. ...and that's all that needs to be said really. :bowdown:

I could go on and on with the praises. I could nitpick it's flaws but they get cancelled out by the film working them it it's favor. Such as...

The incredibly slow pacing is an endurance test.

It's 2 hours long and it moves like a dying man's crawl. Back then, anime was an alternative medium that showed animated sex and violence. But very few drama based anime was ever released outside Japan at the time. But for me, that was also part of the movie's appeal. Every step is savored. Every scene is meaningful. Even the "fat" moments where the movie slows down and gives time to breathe (as if that's even possible in this case) are engrossing. Little things like when Shiro trains in the Air Force who do nothing but ridicule the RSF are moments of pure gold.

Diversity is not the name of the cast's game.

There's only 2 focal female characters in this entire movie. Riquinni and her surrogate daughter Manna, and even then the former does the heavy lifting and the latter barely says a word. Actually, there's not many characters here at all... but it works in this context. Everything else speaks for itself. There's the Monarchy, there's Rival Factions and their conspirators and their presence is felt. But that remains as an undercurrent while the movie is focused on a small circle of characters that further keeps it grounded rather than disappear in pretentiousness.

As I said before, this movie was mind blowing for me at the time. Sure, Akira was also mind blowing, and Ninja Scroll and Street Fighter got my bloodlust going, but Wings of Honnêamise was something else. At the time it was the alternative to the alternative, when anime was just mature for it's mature content, but transcends that by being a tender heartwarming drama told in the highest quality of it's time. And it still rules now.

TL/DR: See. This. Movie.

16. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

Over the last year I watched all of One Piece and am now caught up/watching the sub weekly. If I theoretically wanted to catch up with the manga anyone know what chapter I should start at? It's probably not like 1 chapter equals 1 episode is it? For reference the last episode I saw was 775

17. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

This.is.so.f*cking.DOPE!

Say what you will, but I'm so excited to go see this movie. Even if it sucks, I'll probably end up liking it anyways due to confirmation bias. :lol:

18. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

I stopped watching the anime when they had fillers before Zou arc, but it ends at chapter 822 and the next arc starts on 823

19. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

Yea I realized like the day after I posted that, that I could just go look up a chapter guide. For what it's worth that filler was only like three episodes and I skipped it as well. All catching up to the manga did was make me excited to see Whole Cake Island animated.

20. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I started The Saga of Tanya the Evil last night...WOW! It's like, Final Fantasy meets Battlefield 1, haha. Really good Pilot episode for anyone thinking about trying it out.