Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Just finished watching it. Feckin' A, it rocked! It's not quite ufotable's level and quality of art and animation, but there were certainly moments were my jaw dropped a little. Music was cool too, with some of the game's original tracks included. Also, the story is SO much better and deeper than I'd imagined. There's room here for the same amount of depth as the main franchise, and it's got Nasu written all over it. (Nasu being the creator of Fate and other franchises, the collective of which forms a single universe, much in the same way that Alien, Predator, etc. are related.) The special barely covers the first arc of the game - sort of the introduction - and the fact that a second special hasn't been announced makes me really sad that the game hasn't been translated to English. I hope the film does well so that the game ends up getting a Western release.

EDIT: I'll say though, I can't imagine this being a very good watch for someone who isn't familiar with the Fate franchise. While they do skim over all, or most, of the relevant background for that universe, it's just that: a quick skim and/or an arguably-obscure reference to the billions of rules there are. Definitely not enough time to grasp how things work in that universe. I'd even put Heavens Feel in the list of suggested-background-knowledge just so the viewer knows where the 'Alter' form of servants even comes from.

EDIT 2: sometimes I feel like I should create a separate Fate thread, but I can't justify that on a forum that deals with guitars. :lol:

2. Yibby

Yibby SS.org Regular

I mean, I wouldn't be upset if I saw one. I'm just getting into the Fat series, and it's a little confusing where to go after Fate:Zero and unlimited blade works

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

So I'm in Boracay for a week with a sprained foot which sucks but I guess going through daily Animax screenings help the recovery a bit. :lol: So I'll be watching whatever the hell they happen to play without much choice. Some interesting ones are being shown so whatever sticks with me I'll end up continuing when I get home.

Right now Ore Monogatari!!! episodes are on. Not my usual thing but it's alright. It's quite refreshing that the protagonist isn't a little shonen with severe blue balls syndrome but a massive hulk of a dude that fits right in Cromarte High School (but still with the blue balls).

Just wait for the Heaven's Feel movie trilogy for familiarity. I don't blame you though. Type Moon and convoluted narrative get along like a house on fire. :lol:

[​IMG]

Ok, seriously this thread will do. :lol: Remember that Gundam thread I couldn't be assed reviving?

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I love Ore Monogatari. It's adorable. I did a mini write-up on here when I watched it, but at the rate we all go through stuff, that was probably several dozen pages ago :lol:.

It isn't something I'd normally expect to like, but I saw it on enough "best of..." lists for the year it came out, so I gave it a shot. I've thought about rewatching it, just to improve my mood one of these days. I think one of the things I liked most about it is that not only does Takeo not fit the usual mold, but the entire series didn't revolve around the usual "Will they??? Won't they???" nonsense. They get together right off the bat, and everything afterwards was just about their relationship's ups and downs.

I'm currently slogging my way through One Piece. Well, I say "slogging," but I'm actually really enjoying it, haha. I started watching it because it's a show my students all know, so I wanted to familiarize myself with it a bit. I kept watching it because it turns out I think it's pretty great :lol:. I know admitting that I watch and enjoy One Piece makes me a bit of a pleb in the eyes of some of the more hardcore anime fans out there, but oh well.

5. Alberto7

Honestly, if you really dig it, I'd say go and read/play the original visual novel. Granted, it's quite a large time investment. It took me around 95-100 hours of reading to finish all three routes, Unlimited Blade Works being the second of them, and Heaven's Feel being the final one and the one being animated into the movies that Bloody Inferno mentioned. Here's a detailed review I wrote a bit over two and a half years ago (f*ck me, time flies. :eek:) on the visual novel... which will probably take you about as long to read as the VN. :rofl: Not too proud of the review or my writing then, but it's intelligible enough, if you care to follow. :lol: Longest post I've ever written.

Animax f*cking rocks, and don't you tempt me using Keiko's beauty against me... because I'll cave. :lol: Maybe it can be a Fate/Kalafina thread. :idea: The two fit together like bespoke velvet gloves made for The Queen herself.

6. Bloody_Inferno

http://sao-movie.net/us/yukikajiura/

Well that just sucks.

[​IMG]

7. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

:wavey::agreed:
    YAY!!!
    Where are you at the moment?

8. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

They just saved Alabasta from Crocodile and Nico Robin joined the crew.

9. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I'd safely say that now is when thing start to become really interesting.
    Those next bunch of episodes in Jaya are very big for what they set into motion.
    I hope you manage to stay spoiler free as much as you can.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Somewhere in the midst of my travels, I watched the 38 episodes of Aggretsuko, since that only took about 38-40 minutes. May as well get familiar with it before it gets overexposed- oh too late...

It's tons of fun during those short episodes. It does get samey and repetitive so it gets old before you know it. But that gets cancelled out by it's own brevity. Either way I had a ball watching this.

EDIT:

:lol: Funny enough, Hikaru just posted these pics in their lineblog:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I gotta ask, since I've been slowly making my way back into Anime recently... Is there any plans for Metropolis to be on Blu-Ray in the states? I want to own this movie, and will get the DVD if I have to, but I was really hoping there would be a stateside Blu ray release. Looks like there's one in Japan and I guess one was announced for the UK.

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone heard the news that Warner Bros are trying for the attack on titan rights, to make their own Hollywood movie based on the amazing Manga story?

Im both amazingly excited (given I thought the Japanese movies were garbage from what I saw) but also worried that the casting will be crap and we will get an onslaught of "beautiful teens" who cant act. And maybe some annoying controversy like having Dwayne Johnson as Captain Levi or some other such nonsense.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3421492/warner-bros-prepares-attack-titan-remake/

EDIT: I pray for a Harry Potter like franchise from this, where we get like 4 movies at LEAST.... but thats just me.

13. Alberto7

^ Oh God... I do like David Heyman's movies (and having as big a series as Harry Potter under his belt might be a good indicator for the AoT franchise), but Hollywood doesn't exactly get the best reception when it comes anime adaptations. And we're talking about Attack on Titan here, not just any other adaptation. The only fans I've met that are more rabid, ravenous, and angry than AoT fans are probably Tool fans. I can hear the forks, the torches, and the chanting...

Those pastries and that coffee are EXactly what I need right now.

Kind of an unrelated remark, but the Fate/themed food made me remember how much I regret having lost a beautiful official Saber keychain I got as a gift last year from a friend that went to NYC and brought me the 10th issue of Type-Moon Ace magazine. Ugh, never attach cool keychains to your everyday-use backpack unless you want them stolen. You'd think I knew this. :wallbash:

Also, having Chrome translate Hikaru's post for me and then reading it was as amusing and stupefying as it was informative. I feel my English slowly getting destroyed whenever I read something that's been directly translated from English, :lol: but it was cool to read anyway.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah this is exactly what concerns me. They would need to realllllly take their time on this. No rushing. No pushing to have it out before deadlines. It would need the utmost care to pull off. It seems from the report, that WB are readying their "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them" director, David Yates, to helm this movie.

I do want it to be a LOTR or Harry Potter style Franchise because I think thats the only way to truly get anywhere near the standard of the source material.

I would honestly accept no name actors for this (i.e we are not familiar with them). Problem is it "feels" very Asian because its an Anime, but obviously only Mikasa is supposed to be Asian (unless Im really mistaken) and you have this issue again where if all the cast are white, there may be complaints....but yet everyone is white in the show other than her. Its a tricky situation.

I think we could get away with more Asian actors/actresses personally. I imagine someone bad ass like Iko Uwais would be perfect cast in this. Maybe as Levi?. Anyone Ive gone off on abit of a tangent.

Im still really excited and I hope they do get the rights but Im optimistically cautious.

15. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

Just rewatched Steins;Gate for the first time since it aired and holy sh1t the feels... Didn't remember how wild that anime was. I definitely recommend watching it if someone hasn't seen it yet. :eek:

I also drank like 2 gallons of Dr Pepper while watching it. :lol:

16. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I've been binge watching Elfen Lied these past few nights.

Fantastic series! A perfect mix of bloody and beautiful; gorey and heartbreaking. There are some real tearjerker moments at the end that contrast strongly against the dark themes presented throughout the episodes.

The progression throughout the course of all thirteen episodes was crazy. Upon watching the first episode, you would never think that the series would end the way that it does in the final episode. All of the character development and growth, the ambiguity of many characters (constantly shifting between good and bad in the eyes of the viewer), and the psychological elements involved in the story really make it a compelling series.

I'm so glad that I watched this short series, and I'll definitely watch it again in the future. Despite a few bits of choppy animation, I really can't find any other flaws. I'll rack it up as one of the best series that I've watched thus far, which definitely makes it a favorite.

Now I need to get my hands on the manga and read it so that I can know the full story.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

just started Deathnote. Pretty compelling viewing. Certain aspects of it are abit child like imo (like the Demon who originally owned Deathnote) etc, but in general its a solid show and I power watched the first 3-4 eps back to back when I had time.

18. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Finally finished up both seasons of Kiniro Mosaic (KINMOZA! and Hello!! KINMOZA!) after two and a half months of sporadic watching. Hands-down one of my favorite anime series! So cute, so lovable, and loaded with humor! I will definitely be watching it again soon!
    :wub:

19. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

That's what I loved about Elfen Lied. Just rewatched Mirai Nikki last night and it's pretty similar. One episode you're rooting for a certain character and next episode you hate them. Might actually rewatch Elfen Lied now. God, do I ever watch any new animes. I just keep rewatching the old ones. Although, it has been +4 years since I've last seen them. :lol:

20. Alberto7

Aw man, the manga...
    [​IMG]

But really though, the manga is SOOO much better than the anime. I'm not a manga reader, but I am so glad I read that one. Makes the anime feel like a walk in the park. That ending man... brutal stuff. It's been a good 6 or so years since I read the manga, and I can still feel my insides becoming all wrinkly like a prune. Good thing you watched the anime first though. It'll make the manga even better. Also, the manga is about twice as long as the anime, perhaps longer than that.