Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. BigViolin

BigViolin SS.org Regular

Agreed, one of my favorite riffs ever.

2. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

Real talk, tJoM is my overall favorite of theirs so far, and figuring out how to play the riffs for Crescent really opened that one up for me. It's one of my favorites off the album.

The new album is missing much of the riffery that I like to hear, but it's very train-of-thought in the way it's put together, and I dig that kind of thing too. For instance, tMoM dropped the day I had to go in for major surgery, so I ended up listening to it in a days-long anesthesia haze. It was AWESOME :hbang:

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I was just listening to Crescent in the car. I think the first half is boring, but the outro kills. It's not a skipworthy track, that's for sure.

IbanezIsLife likes this.
  4. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

So I went to my first AAL concert here in Hong Kong last night. Man, what a show and they were awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Decreate

Decreate SS.org Regular

I was there as well, great show.

6. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

Dude, we could have gone together!

7. AuroraTide

AuroraTide SS.org Regular

Seeing them on Tuesday, Javier is doing some sort of appearance Monday in Melbourne too. Anyone know if it's just a Q&A or will he play a bit? Maybe play some Mestis?

8. wankerness

Some guitar student at the college I work at was telling me about some "really funny meme" he had seen that day, and then showed me an example. It was of Tosin, looking really pleased with himself with his eyes closed! The student had no idea who the guitarist was. I'm wondering how many more people have been seeing that and just thinking "it's funny happy guitar man!!"

Of course, I can't find one myself, since I am not young enough and "Tosin meme" returns nothing new. But, one I remember distinctly said something to the effect of "That feel when you play a C#b5#9dim11 and you hear the other guitarist play it too."

9. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Melbourne show last night with Nick Johnston and Plini.
    I honestly rarely listen to AAL's studio stuff, but they just totally blow minds live.
    Those Strandbergs they use for Physical Education (that you can see a few posts up) are just totally crazy looking in the flesh.
    Nick Johnston and Plini were, of course, stellar too. I have to hand it to Nick for the being the best of the lot at just being very vocal-like with the guitar, but every musician was just super expressive in their own way.
    Puts a smile on my face knowing instrumental guitar music can pack out a venue like that

10. AuroraTide

AuroraTide SS.org Regular

Completely agree! Really enjoyed the classic rock muck around before CAFO.

Does anyone know if the sing a long during Physical Education happens at every show?

11. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

The crowd sung along in Hong Kong. So I guess that song is more or less their defacto signature song now.

12. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Perth show tonight. So damn keen :hbang: I missed them when I visited the UK last year by about a day. Animals As Leaders came out a few years ago with BTBAM and it was a solid show, finally they return. Will post photos and let you know what my thoughts are tomorrow sometime.

13. Jaydarian

Jaydarian SS.org Regular

Hey all, not sure whether to make this post a separate thread but I want to talk about their latest album:

I love it. Each song has it's own atmosphere (sonosphere?). Beginning with eastern sounds of Arithmophobia and ending with flamenco in Apeirophobia, I am again amazed by this group.

With that said, I have some criticisms.

I'll state one though: after listening about 20 times... almost every song feels rushed. After a glorious riff or solo, AAL just hop right on the to the next part. A lot of clean "endings" (parts that could lead to interludes - or interludes that last for a short moment; that are only played once and not returned to again) are able to breathe for just a 1/8th note (or less, I'm not so gifted here)... and damn I just want to let it live - sustain.

In this context, and in my opinion, nearly every song could have been 8 - 15 minutes - and it would not have sounded so grinding, simply because of the sheer amount of riffs in those songs. A lot more play could have been introduced on these patterns. A lot more breath.

Ok, thank you for reading! I suppose it was a half rant :)

At the end of the day, I still love these guys and I'm so inspired by them.

14. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

15. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

16. wankerness

This site has the most f'd up youtube embedding I've ever seen on a phpbb. Basically, if you take out the s in https when you FIRST POST, it will auto-edit it into an embed. If you screw it up, though, and have to go back and edit it, you have to use the tag "youtubevid" and delete out the entire youtube url apart from the string of numbers/letters after the ?v=

17. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

That was ....ing amazing. Been too long since I've seen them live, I *needed* to see that! So inspirational!!!! :scream:

18. brownsounds

brownsounds SS.org Regular

Anyone have tabs for The Brain Dance?

19. wankerness

I'm sure it will turn up on ultimate-guitar eventually, just like the majority of their stuff. That's still the only one on this album I really love.

20. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

So other than on YouTube or buy it off of iTunes store, where else is Wave of Babies available?