Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I use them as an indicator of whether or not I should check out an album. I listen to a lot of music across a lot of genres, so it's a lot easier to quickly read what someone else thought to get an idea of whether you'll like it or not. For example I've found that I rarely dislike an album that was praised on heavy blog is heavy, because for whatever reason my taste in heavy music is similar to theirs. It's not perfect, and I probably miss out on some stuff I'd like, but its better than trying to listen to every piece of music ever released.

2. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

Just to clarify my post earlier, I don't regret buying this album and ultimately no one can deny the talent of these players. I guess the disappointment for me personally is that I can't see myself listening to this regularly with the exception of 2 or 3 songs.

3. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

It's a music discussion forum, there are fans of music here and fans of this band. New band drops the album and the point of discussion is, you guessed it the new album and their opinions on it! It's interesting to hear other's viewpoints on topics.

4. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

5. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Saw them last night and it was a fantastic show.
    The new songs sounded great live.

6. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

All complaints are completely unfounded.
    Cause there's a song called "Backpfeifengesicht" which means Bitch-Slap-Face......nuff said!

7. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

A Backpfeifengesicht is "a face deserving of a slap", or more common "a punchable face".

Example,
    "Der Typ mit dem Backpfeifengesicht" is "The guy with the punchable face".

8. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

That's great to hear, I am seeing them at Webster Hall next week.

9. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

10. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Strangely enough for me, tMoM has been the most easily digestible album for me to get through, but that does not mean I'm diminishing anything on it. Hell, Private Visions of the World is currently one of my favorite tracks. I love songs that evolve!!

11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I can't believe anyone thought JoM was less like "songs" than "riff collages," but there we have it. The only track on there that wasn't coherent and sounded like random riffs stuck together was "Mind=Spun," which the title of seemed to suggest that was almost the point.

This one really does sound more like riff collages. I don't love it, but it's generally more interesting than Weightless. "The Brain Dance" is easily one of my favorite tracks they've ever done, but I don't think I'd put anything else in that category.

12. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I kind of agree with Wankerness, sadly. I do love The Brain Dance (and Ectogenesis :hbang:), but this album really didn't grip me like AaL or JoM. It's not like the month of November was full of albums I loved, either. So that pretty much rules out a simple crowding issue.

13. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Anyone knows what setup they're using live on this tour? I've seen that Tosin is working with some company called Morgan amps and they have Mesa amps on stage but I've seen someone say that they're using the amps for monitoring and that the sound out is still Axe-Fx

14. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure Tosin went straight analog the entire tour and I think Reyes stuck to his trusty AxeFX2.

There are lots of pictures with Tosins full pedalboard setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjawyd8sNB8

15. Da Butt Bandit

Da Butt Bandit Expert of 0-0-0

and the rest was history...

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

?

Anyway, I've been listening exclusively to Joy of Motion for the last week or two in my car. This is one damn good album. I often find myself skipping straight to Lippincott and The Woven Web, even though I like everything on the album (Crescent might be the least good, but still well worth listening to!). I still thinking that bizarro slap riff halfway through The Woven Web is one of the greatest riffs ever.

#1 greatest riff from any band ever might be that riff at 4:55 in CAFO. Woven Web has nothing on that one!

17. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Couldn't get into tjom and from what I heard so far this album is a pass for me. Loved the first two albums.

18. wootsmitty

wootsmitty Jellytron

This album is amazing, I'm fairly shocked by everyone's reception. To me it is a natural and much desired evolution of their sound.

Best song: INNER ASSASSINS

19. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I think that the Physical education main thumping riff is a top 5 riff for them.