Angry traders... no threads?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Thyber, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Thyber

Thyber SS.org Regular

just a thought:

Why are we allowing people to spit "their side" of the story online, "after approval" by the mods about a trade or sale gone bad?

It gives serious damage to the other party's reputation if it is a genuine misunderstanding (cause really, who reads those threads all the way 'till the end?) and it gives an "unfair" public trial on a private agreement?

I think that instead of all the threads being started, the "offenders" or related parties their status should be altered too "Trade Claim Pending" or similar. And then somekind of database with brief details about the claims pending can re-assure the other members having a possible sale/trade ...

Just an idea !

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

So a thread full of info is bad, but having a looming 'Trade Claim Pending' status is okay. :scratch:

We already have a feedback system similar to sites like eBay, but the idea is that if everything is in the open, folks can work things out. In a lot of cases, as soon as someone looses face, they tend to swallow their pride and work things out. I've seen it happen more often than not.

It also serves as a warning. Granted, one that often needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

The whole 'their side" part needs to be backed up by pictures, e-mails, PMs, and other docs that prove what they say. I've only given 'approval' after seeing this proof. I will say, 95% of the time, the user who feels like they were screwed just goes and posts, and in those cases things are moderated even more heavily.

Participate on the forum longer than a few months and you'll see it can work. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'd rather have a scammer called out, than nothing.

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

One time someone tried to steal something from Adam and he made a thread, and then we put pressure on the guy (he was local) to give adam his guitar back and it worked :)

4. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

like i said in the thread about purpledc it lets people here know who is and isnt ok to trade with, i know if i got scammed by someone on here id want to tell other people about what went wrong with the transaction so they can avoid dealing with that person.

you might not read through the entire thread but i know many of us here do because we genuinely want to make things better between the members involved.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

What about a specific way the OP(plaintiff i guess) must post their initial complaint, kind of like the classifieds form everyone must use? That way it cuts out some of the rambling initially so everyone can see the issues without reading a sob story to figure out what happened.

6. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

that could potentially leave out details that the OP would have to answer later in the thread so why not include the full story in the first post.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If they have the proof, than I don't care how they post.

Let's be clear, this isn't a free for all, if the thread starter doesn't have a shred of proof to their point they can fuck off. :yesway:

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I vote for keeping it the way it is. There seems to be a pretty good amount of "common sense law" on the part of the mod staff (and users in general) that prevents good people from getting bad raps and bad people from getting off easy.

9. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

Most forums completely snowball any open discussion of trade disputes outside of any rating system.

Assuming either is going to be more accurate than the other is a fallacy of logic. In the end, if you can't prove it to the authorities, why should anyone believe you?

10. engage757

engage757 Banned

Yea, I have only been involved in one bad deal, and both sides handled it fairly well at the end IMO. The only problem with that was the amount of useless antagonizing posts that certain people like to throw in. Ie, judging a situation before knowing both sides. I see that a lot in Builder problem threads, people that are throwing in useless banter or talking without knowing anything other than other conjecture. The mods take care of those threads typically posthaste.

The system here works. We saw it with Adam getting scammed. He and I had a stupid amount of info on the guy within hours. I spoke to his employer, girlfriend, bandmates and the dude's own Mother. Certain members put a tremendous amount of pressure on him (not to mention Adam himself) and the guitar was returned.

Sometimes there is a lot of useless banter in these threads, but the bottom line, is I see very few issues arise from deals on this site and they are dealt with maturely 9 times out of 10. This site might just be another website to a lot of members, but there is a very solid core group of folks here. Many of whom have friendships off of ss.org. I have met some of my closest friends on this site. That's the difference. We want it to work out for everyone, we are a solid community.

My little opinionated rant.

11. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

LOL engage.