angled pickups in multiscale guitars

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Reptillian Overlord, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Reptillian Overlord

Reptillian Overlord SS.org Regular

So I'm waiting on my shiny new ibanez rgif7 and i'm set on replacing the stock 808's but i'm not too sure what to replace them with.

I'll be keeping it tuned F# on the low b and then C# standard for the other 6 and i'm looking for something that can be very articulate with such a low tuning.

But here's where it's beyond my knowledge of how pickups work, would having an angled 8 string pickup installed on a seven string guitar affect the output and tone?
    If that's the case would i be better off getting a pickup with a blade style like a BKP blackhawk or would normal poles still work fine? I've had a hard time finding any info on that particular question and that's probably my biggest concern.

My original hopes were to get onto Lundgren and see if they could make an m7 that matches the string spacing on the guitar and stuff it in an m8 cover or make an m8c in a blade style but now i'm starting to feel like i'd be asking a bit much.
    I know BKP are pretty flexible with their builds but my knowledge is limited on how well their pickups can handle such low tunings as my only experience with Bare Knuckle is with ceramic aftermaths and i find them too bright for the sound i'm after and they got start to get muddy once you tune below G

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Depending on what the angle of the pickups is in relation to the bridge the poles might not line up exactly with an angled 7 string pickup (which is why most production fanned frets 7 use soapbar 8 string pickups). Plus it's easier for them to route the soapbar route and slap in the 8 string pickups (EMGs are actually bar magnets iirc). Overall using a 8 string pickup in a cover would work totally fine since most have more than enough magnetic field generated to not affect the output/tone.I would say try the 808s first, and try the 18v mod to improve the headroom, and if you still don't like them, then look into getting a set of elysian moderns in a soapbar version (which would run you way less than a bkp in a soapbar cover and they are of comparable quality imo). They're versatile, very clear, and work really well for modern metal. If you're really worried about it then lace pickups have the largest magnetic field and come in already covered versions that would be direct drop ins for EMGs. BKP can only do certain angles for angled pickups and getting them covered with soapbar covers costs $$$. Seymour Duncan custom shop can also do the omega or other pickups in soapbar version but that would run you close to bkp prices. The absolute cheapest option is buy whatever pickup you want and look into getting plastic covers from mojotone to cover them (it'll take some work, but it's significantly cheaper than shelling out extra $$$ to duncan or bkp for covering pickups).

3. Reptillian Overlord

Reptillian Overlord SS.org Regular

Awesome, so there's way more options than i originally thought :p i'll do some googling regarding Lace and Elysian when i've got some time but i think Elysian might be the way to go.
    the guitar just arrived so i'll give the 808's a play today and see how i feel about them but i've never really been much of an EMG person

So it's just a matter of the magnetic field and there's no real difference between bar magnets and regular poles then? It's not something i'd ever considered until i started looking at pickups for this guitar and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on this topic which is why i was so unsure

Thanks for your help, i would've been stuck on this conundrum for a while otherwise hahaha

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Unless the poles are nowhere near the strings or you're using super weak magnets, they should pick up the vibrations from the string just fine. From my experience it's not a noticeable difference with polepieces or blade magnets as far as their ability to pick up the sound in fanned fret guitars. The more important part imo is the angling of the pickups, since depending on how much or little the pickup routes are angled in relation to the bridge, since that can change the attack of the pickups to an extent. My boden 8 is fanned fret but the routes aren't angled, so the sound is different than when I had the same pickups in my other swamp ash 8 string where the bridge pickup was closer to the bridge. Shouldn't be an issue for you but it's something to note if you ever try other multiscale guitars.