Angel Vivaldi leaving Ibanez for Charvel?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Webmaestro, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Well Charvel got into the seven string game with this 2017 model.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...which doesn't seem like his kind of thing.

IbanezIsLife and Webmaestro like this.
  2. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Angel is good people and one hell of a player. I'm excite to see where he goes.

AxeHappy likes this.
  3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Definitely something hard to believe, but hell, if Charvel gave him a better deal (He did have the one Facebook thread about how much people would pay for a sig guitar) than more power to him.

If he did get a sig, it would be the first Charvel I paid attention to in quite a while.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm guessing IF he goes with Charvel and not Jackson, they'll use Angel as their 7-string guy to help promote more 7-string guitars in the future, since he's pretty popular in ERG circles.

I have no problem with this jump, though. Charvel is a really, reeaaally good brand. And they can pump out some tasty customs. I can see them doing a So-Cal 7 that looks like his RG.

I swear to god he better not leave Mesa, though.

5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

2016-2017: the years that every guitar company and their mother created a bland, stripped down, generic 7-string Superstrat with a Telecaster inspired singlecut body and headstock.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Implying there is actually a difference between Charvel and Jackson other than the headstock logo under FMIC ownership in 2017. :lol:

USMarine75, ArtDecade and AxeHappy like this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Hey hey hey. Charvel still uses the uncomfortable block heel on almost everything. Whereas Jackson has finally started moving away from it. So....there's that. Lol

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

As an Ibanez fanboy I've felt Ibanez decline from a couple of years, to the point that I generally lost interest in seeing new guitars, and come here once in a lifetime.
    To me Ibanez is not the synonimous of innovation any more.
    Once they led the pack, now they just try to make the masses happy, with fluctuating levels of success.
    Not to mention the stupid decisions like weird scale length on fanned and 9 strings...so that when they innovate, they don't fully go down the path.
    Once, you purchased an Ibanez because it was made and equipped in a certain way, now you pick an Ibanez if they have those features you find in other guitars but with the "quality" of an Ibanez.
    If I search certain features and I want excellnt quality-price ratio, I pick a Schecter, and I'm 100% sure I did the perfect choice.
    I want Ibanez to be Ibanez.

9. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I'm pretty sure it's just a syndrome that happens to users in this site. If you read threads about the new Ibanez guitars of a year, there will always be people who keep begging "I'd like this guitar more if it had the kind of specs I want to have" and sometimes there will be a response saying "Why buy them when you could buy another brand/a custom with those specs for the same price?". At this point I'm starting to think they stopped caring about the majority of their players in this site anymore, at least in its current state, hence the lack of demands for a new Prestige RGA or even 8-string RGDs. That doesn't mean the company will suffer a great loss because they're not catering to your wants, they haven't had any drastic changes for like almost two decades compared to other companies that are as big if not bigger than them. A quality Ibanez will still remain a quality Ibanez, which has been tried and true even up to this day, and people will still buy and play them because they're great and also affordable.

10. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

New Pro Mod Style 2s. I suspect that we'll see this on all Pro Mods by the end of the year. Frankly very welcomed. Between the truss wheel and sculpted heel, it's genuinely all that I would have asked Charvel to modify from the standard design. So with a couple minimal changes, I'd say they stepped their game up significantly. Even if Schecter jumped in the water ahead of them with the Sun Valley Shredder.
    [​IMG]

Mathemagician likes this.
  11. OmegaSlayer

It's just the Ibanez love.
    I honestly don't accept hipshot-kind of bridges on Ibanez when I think their Tight End is a better bridge.
    As you said, an Ibanez lover expect some features.
    I'd rather have a black guitar with no fancy top and the right bridge than the fanciest top and a bridge I don't like.
    Ibanez hasn't been great for their finishes, but for their playability/feel and prices.
    And, let's be honest, 90% of times a $ 500 Schecter is better built and plays better than a $ 850 Ibby.

12. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

They've already done some mass-produced basic Prestige guitars with Tight End bridges some years back (RG1451, RG3521, RGD2127FX, FR1620).

For the manufacturing, I think that has more to do with the Korean factories getting better at quality control. If the $850 guitars you're referring to are Prestiges, then it's probably that they're built in a more traditional way ("The combination of high-tech manufacturing techniques with old-world Japanese craftsmanship", according to the website). If you're talking about Iron Label, then they're more hits or misses since they're made in the same country as their low-end standard line (Indonesia).

13. OmegaSlayer

You said it.
    Years back.

ArtDecade likes this.
  14. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Exactly why the newest Ibanez I own is a 2006 RG1527. So yeah, I'm kinda stuck in the past... hoping my already-old (but kick ass) RG's hold up for another 30+ years (or however long I live).

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Things are cyclic. They have good years, bad years, great years and terrible years. Honestly, I think the last two years have been great. The return of the Prestige series to near early-00's height of selection, and beefing up the artist roster a bit. Granted, it seems some of that is going to be rolled back with the fluctuation of the Yen again, but I'm hopeful it's temporary.

Not sure what you mean. Besides going back to the Lo-Pro, they've been doing the what they always have. First to production fanned frets, first to production 9-string, first production with Lundgrens and BKPs, first production Koas Pad guitar, first production hybrid fretless/fretted bass, etc. That's only the last few years too.

Gotta pay the bills somehow. You can't just release weird niche instruments to appease the forum crowd. They sell more 6-string RGs in black than 7 and 8 strings in all colors and specs.

Have you played either of these? They really aren't bad. Don't listen to the echo chamber that is the online forum community. The scales are perfectly reasonable for most applications.

If they go too outside the norm they won't sell, and if they don't sell we won't see a second or third generation worth of fine tuning.

The market gets more and more saturated. That's a good thing. These guitar makers aren't factions in some great war, you can use multiple brands. From where I'm seated right now I see Ibanez, but also EBMM, Suhr, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Washburn, Parker and many others. You should buy guitars elsewhere. How else would you know what you're missing?

aesthyrian and AxeHappy like this.
  16. IbanezIsLife

IbanezIsLife Hogg

Why all the Ibanez hate? The new models are nothing short of impressive

aesthyrian, Mathemagician and sezna like this.
  17. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

Yeahm I agree. The new guitars this year seem top notch.

18. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

This sort of discussion happens every time some notable brand endorser, especially Ibanez and those with LACS guitars and sigs, moves to another company (see Dave Weiner, Chris Broderick, the Unearth dudes, Mick Thomson, Head from Korn, the list could go on).

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. sezna

sezna undermotivated

was it a strat style? tele? seven? six?

20. IbanezIsLife

IbanezIsLife Hogg

It looked like their Dimas Style 1 HH in style shape. It was a black 7 string with all gold hardware with a floyd rose

cardinal and Mathemagician like this.