Andy McKee

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by punisher911, Nov 30, 2010.

1. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Not being, in your opinion, the best of the style still does not diminish the merit of his playing or his abilities. His music will continue to be exquisite, regardless of how useless your post is at attempting to gauge him against others. Music is not a competition, it is a journey we may share on the way.

2. Jexey

Jexey SS.org Regular

McKee regards Hedges as the friend he never met, and if you met the guy you'd understand he would never try to outplay another guitarist. He just wants to jam out.

3. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

I'm hopefully going to get to see him next month. I'm pretty excited. I haven't been to a show in like 2 years now.

4. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Awesome, I am hoping he comes back to Canada one day. I didn't seem him back in 08.

5. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

I love Andy's music...it's great when I need something chill and relaxing.

6. SeanC

SeanC loves metal

Andy McKee is great. Heres a video the bass player in my band made of himself playing along to one of his songs.

conortheshreder likes this.
  7. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

^ is amazing, you should send it to Andy, he would love it!

8. stryker1800

stryker1800 Sweet Pickle

I agree, I'm very impressed with his technique, but just can't get into the stuff.

9. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

really dig this guy

listened to a couple hours just the other day while on an extended xmas drive

10. Chumple Spuzz

Chumple Spuzz Righteous Dude

i'm a HUGE andy fan. his music is super inspiring and very influential to my own style of writing on acoustic guitars. i saw him in pittsburgh over the summer at the rex theater, he put on an incredible show with a standard guitar, harp guitar, and baritone guitar in his arsenal. i got to meet him afterwards and gave him a CD of the songs I had made and he very politely accepted it and said he would listen to it on the way to the next show. he's an incredibly nice guy!
    if anyone gets the chance to pick up the Joyland CD/DVD combo, DO IT! the music is great (lots of awesome originals and a couple covers of michael hedges and tears for fears) and it has a really cool documentary about how he started and how he recorded the album, along with a few tutorials and demonstrations.

11. Darren James

Darren James SS.org Regular

Rylynn is one of my favourite songs by Andy and I must say that it sounds great with the fretless. His music is very relaxing and I seem to listen to it more and more I find these days.

12. clouds

clouds SS.org Regular

If you ever get the chance to see him, I'd recommend you take it. He's brilliant live, and he wasn't at all expensive when I saw him.

13. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

Rylynn is amazing

14. JacobShredder

JacobShredder SS.org Regular

Idk, I cant get into this guy. I mean I think the first like 30 seconds of every song are cool but then..it just gets old.

I actually met some randomass kid in an Indianapolis who could play this song just as well as Andy himself and could play it with it sitting in his lap like a steel guitar.

15. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

I like the technique and ideas but the compositions I've heard haven't really moved me. His label mate Antoine Dufour writes music that is a lot more interesting to me. Still, I'll get the chance to see more of McKee when he opens for EJ... maybe I haven't heard enough.

16. Coalesce42

Coalesce42 SS.org Regular

I grew up in Topeka and Andy McKee was my guitar instructor for a while. When I was new he taught me Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. Sometimes I would just bring in a CD and he would listen to it and tab it out while he was listening, when he was playing the electric guitar he played a headless Steinberger. I remember my first lesson he introduced himself and played Drifting if I recall correctly. I had never seen anything like it. I remember being confused that he could play so well and was not famous. I am so glad he made it.