And Your First Potential 2016 US Presidential Candidate Is!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by groverj3, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Well, since you've chosen to make your presence and your preference known...

I don't mean this rhetorically... as a Hillary supporter, how do you resolve that?

2. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Hillary is the perfect politician in a pre-Internet age.

3. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Depends on your definition. I'm a 41-year-old librarian. Finding things on the Internet is literally my day job. So, no, not all Clinton supporters are senior citizens who don't understand how the Internet works.

4. celticelk

You've never made a mistake speaking off the cuff? It's embarrassing, yeah. It was also twenty years ago, and I bet she signed a lot of those.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Off the cuff remarks are the media's favourite this time of year. I think the argument that the comment was spontaneous is not really a strong one, in my opinion.

Actually, this particular gaffe is more a comical thing than a serious thing to me. It's the combination of her remarks about dodging sniper fire in Bosnia, her record on supporting gay marriage, her emails back and forth with her husband (who claimed to have only used email a couple times), and this, as well as her decades-long track record of fibbing needlessly, as well as the corruption that's surrounded her, that makes her a terrible choice to elect as president.

Some other funny Hillary quotes:

"I was named after Sir Edmund Hillary" (who became famous when she was 6 years old)
    "Chelsea decided it would be a great day for a morning jog and she jogged around the towers of the world trade center. She heard the airplane hit, she heard it she did. And she was saved because she had ducked into a coffee shop." (Chelsea was miles away)
    "Who is going to find out? These women are trash. Nobody’s going to believe them." (Regarding Paula Jones)
    "He ran a gas station down in St. Louis... No, Mahatma Gandhi was a great leader of the 20th century"

Not sure what qualifies her as presidential material, but these gaffes adding up over the years give a strong impression that she is a pathological liar and also that she doesn't give two craps about regular people.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Which unfortunately is our status quo for elected officials, so people don't throw someone out just because of that. I can't believe people have such a difficult time fully wrapping their heads around the idea that politicians will say anything they think people want to hear, and they think about it as a job. It's their job to say anything they think people want to hear, at least in their minds. People may have become political leaders because of their convictions... but over the years... I find it very hard to believe that they continue to be political leaders because of their convictions.

I generally believe this to be true of all politicians. I was/am very surprised since 2015 that the more and more I read about Bernie Sanders I still don't really think that of him. I think he is still in it for his convictions, maybe because they've never been realized?

I hope that if he gets the nomination that during general election campaigning I don't see my image of him destroyed. But I figure if that were going to happen it might have already? I mean his track record seems awesome compared to almost any politician I read about. And I've yet to hear him do the classic politician flip flop. Whereas Clinton ought to be walking around in flip flops. He's been ahead of his time for 30 something years so he doesn't need to flip flop.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Thank ....ing goodness.

9. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I love how the last few days of Ted Cruz's candidacy were of him blowing up at reporters when they finally did their job of holding his feet to the fire and asking him if he'd support Trump if Trump got the nomination.

It's like he knew it was all over, and was venting his frustration at the media. To me, this whole election was a complete joke, but moments like that are the gems I'll treasure out of it.

10. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I don't think I've received a single positive Clinton email from the DNC about this presidential election (but lots of emails). Every email thus far has been 'stop Trump' or 'stop GOP' or 'Vote Blue No Matter Who' (see the trend) and a few moments ago I got an email that they're starting a 'Stop Trump fund'.

I guess even they realize most people are only going to vote Democrat this election because they hate the other guy more. It's both sad and hilarious really. Says a lot about Hillary's favorability rating. It's not 'she's so spectacular vote for her', it's 'he's so horrible, he has a slightly worse favorabilty rating'. The age old act of voting against candidates rather than for them. How far the Democrat party has fallen.

edit

Just double checked and yep almost every DNC affiliated email is a 'Stop Trump' and 'Give us your money' email.

11. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

Funny, the way you explain it, is exactly how I feel about it. We have these 2 candidates now, we're forced to ask ourselves, which of these 2 really horrible people is less really horrible? :lol: :squint: :mad:

12. celticelk

I don't recall ever getting a Democratic fundraising campaign email that came across as positive. I think that has more to do with what motivates voters to give rather than anything about Clinton. (Anecdotes != data, of course.)

13. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Sadly you are probably correct. Which is an issue in and of itself, as clearly they've deemed it more effective than the alternative approach. This is damning for both the existing parties and the electorate at large, which is a bummer. I don't necessarily want a positive campaign, but I'd like campaigns to be less about defeating someone no matter who defeats them, and at what cost, and more about what a candidate has to offer. The negative approach clearly works though. It's how the moron Ted Cruz got elected here in Texas. Every ad was about how incompetent his competitor was and nothing else. While not many voted in that election those who did let him win in a landslide. I voted for his Democratic rival, but without proportional representation my vote doesn't matter much in my state. :shrug:

At this point in time Trump honestly shouldn't be their main concern [IMO of course]. I sincerely doubt any liberal/left wing individual would vote for Trump so it's a bit like beating a dead horse. If they really want to attract undecided and independent voters then they need to start convincing them now why they should bother voting for them, not why they should be concerned about their opposition.

If in November I decide to vote 3rd party instead of Democrat telling me why Trump sucks isn't going to get me to change my vote. They need to improve their image rather than tarnishing their major opponents. If I decide to not vote Democrat in November it isn't the Republican candidate I'd be voting for. :2c: