AMPTWEAKER Tight Drive Jnr | Test

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by axl12, Sep 11, 2017.

1. axl12

axl12 SS.org Regular

AMPTWEAKER Tight Drive Jnr | Test, great little overdrive
    Played through a Engl E650 aka Ritchie Blackmore
    I really like this pedal, have a listen

USMarine75 likes this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I just got one on Saturday and yeah I'm totally digging it too! The Tight Fuzz I'm still not sold on, but the TD Jr surprised me.

I really dig the plexi mode, tight, gain and tone up fairly high, through my Sky King.

I'm interested in trying the TD Pro as well as a Tight Rock jr.

What is the sound/tone difference between the Big Rock Pro and the Tight Rock?

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Get the Big Rock Pro instead of the Tight Rock Jr.

As for the TDP, I think it's great. I get a sort of JTM kinda tone from it. Using the TDP as channel 2 and BRP as channel 3 gives me some great drive tones; no boost necessary. Then, I have the Le Clean for a Fender clean/breakup channel, which I get great tones with when paired with: J Rockett Animal, VFE Alpha Dog, VFE Distortion³, VFE Dark Horse, Seymour Duncan 805, modded Metal Zone, and modded DS-1.

4. axl12

axl12 SS.org Regular

This is my first Amptweaker pedal so I can't answer that but I did hear this brand is the same guy who designed the original 5150 James Brown

5. Spaced Out Ace

I didn't see @USMarine75's question. Not 100% sure of the difference, but I think it can get the sound of the tight and fat rock pedals via the internal fat switch -- ie, they're both rolled into one. You'd have to ask James to verify that, though. If you have an account on TheGearPage, he generally answers fairly quickly.

The Big Rock Pro with the fat switch off (I've never really fucked with turning it on and off to see the difference) sounds sorta like an 800, or at least in that ballpark, and the more gain switch kinda sounds like the difference between 3 tubes and 4 tubes for gain stages.

6. amptweaker

amptweaker SS.org Regular

Glad you like the pedal! As for the TightRock vs. BigRock Pro, I did the BigRock Pro after making the fatter, thicker version of TightRock called the FatRock. I didn't want to have to do so many different ones, so when I did the Pro, I called it something different...BigRock Pro. If you turn the Fat switch inside off and the mids up, and stick to higher Tight settings, you basically get the TightRock sound. With Smooth ON and Fat on and lower mid, you get the FatRock tones.

When I did the TightRock Jr, once again I wanted to do fewer models that could stretch the whole range, so I did a Fat setting on the Tight switch, and a Smooth setting on the 3 way EQ switch. So it's kind of a mini version of all 3 Rocks. The biggest difference is that the BigRock Pro also has the lead gain and volume boost, and all the loops for controlling your board.

Hope that clarifies!
    James B
    amptweaker.com

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

I definitely recommend the Big Rock Pro. It's great.

8. USMarine75

Thanks for the reply! That helps clarify a lot.

So is the Tight Drive it's own animal then, or would it be redundant with either the TD Jr or Big Rock? Because the plexi setting, with tone and gain up, is absolutely amazing... I couldn't put my guitar down.

9. Spaced Out Ace

I think you should've gotten the TDP. If you do decide to get the TDP as well, you can hook up the TDP in the sidetrak of the BRP, and use the TD Jr as a boost pedal. I use an 805 with the gain up a little [like 8:30 or so] to boost my TDP and BRP and like it quite a bit.

10. amptweaker

Well, the TDP and BRP are all children of the original TightDrive....but I think the TightDrive Pro is fairly different sounding compared to the BigRock Pro. I use the TDJR for low to moderate gain stuff, like 70/80s pop and hard rock, and when you need something heavier like Alt Rock, or modern heavier stuff, the BigRock Pro is the trick. It's chunky and tight. They both have the Plexi EQ setting, but the TDP is generally thicker and less bright, while the BRP can be warm but it can also scream.

James B
    amptweaker.com

USMarine75 likes this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

I use my BRP for Purple and Super sounds if you get the references. I've got that wiiicckkkeedddd.... sen-say-shunnnnn. The TDP for more stock, but supercharged Marshall tones.

12. Spaced Out Ace

13. USMarine75

So I received my BRP today and only had time for a low volume quickie... for some reason I had a ton of string noise, more so than I've ever heard... so I think I need to do some better dialing in (it didn't come with a manual). Do you have any recommendations for good starting points for the internal switches and varistors?

14. Spaced Out Ace

That doesn't sound good. The gate should keep that to a minimum, or completely get rid of it. You may have something picking up noise, such as your power adapter. I bring this up because I had my Two Notes Le Clean and Dunlop 18v adapters too close to my EVH wah, and for some reason, would pick up the most horrendous noise as a result when I'd use the wah. I eventually moved my wah away, and got rid of the problem. I moved the adapters closer to make sure, and determined that was the issue.

15. amptweaker

Here's a link to the manual....Manual. I ship the BRP pedal with the Rhythm Fat turned OFF and the Boost FAT turned ON, so your rhythm is chunky and tight, but your solo is more legato....but I personally use it with both turned off. I also turn the left Input Gate all the way down, and the Tracking Gate knob that's harder to reach on about 9:00.

If you're amp is pretty bright, you should probably start with the Plexi OFF, since that extends the sizzly highs as it moves the midrange around....and maybe try the Smooth Switch ON as well, which reduces that further. High Gain OFF will still do a lot of high gain, but will be a little fatter/thicker sounding than with High Gain ON.

James B
    amptweaker.com

USMarine75 likes this.
  16. amptweaker

The reason a Wah is so susceptible to picking up noises is that it uses an inductor(which is a coil of wire usually wrapped around a metal core) and inductors work just like transformers. If a magnetic field is nearby, there's an 'induced' current in the wires, and that shoots the hum/buzz right into the circuitry. Most modern circuits avoid using inductors, and instead use alternate circuit ideas, but the wah is very traditional.

James B
    amptweaker.com

USMarine75 likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

I figured it was the inductor, but didn't know the reasons behind it. Now I know. Thanks, James.

18. USMarine75

Thanks I'll give it a try! I'm sure the settings are just all whacky and need to be reset. Because I can't say enough about how much I love the Tight Drive Jr... So I'd be shocked if this wasn't at least as good. Then again, the TD Jr seems to really nail the low/mid gain stuff for me, so maybe I'll throw the BigRock Pro up on Reverb and go TightMetal Jr/Pro instead!? :)

[FWIW I'm using it with either a Tone King Sky King (rhythm channel based on mid-scooped 60s Fender; I usually avoid the lead channel with most pedals because it's based on 50s Tweed with accentuated midboost) or a Kendrick 1960 Bassman 410 in the jumper "3rd channel" mode.]

19. Spaced Out Ace

Put it into the FX loop return if it has one. The BRP sounds great as a preamp.

20. USMarine75

Nope.