Amp simulation? Or Budget Amp setup?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Parker Petty, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Parker Petty

Parker Petty SS.org Regular

Im going for a good djenty modern metal tone, I currently have a peavy vypr tube 60 watt, I could either get a good overdrive pedal, or I could save for something like the line 6 pod pro hd x, or an eleven rack. What do you guys think the better option would be?

2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

POD is kinda eh, and the eleven rack is pretty trash to be perfectly honest. I'd get a decent overdrive, save your money and look at something a little more of an investment like the new Line 6 Helix LT or something

3. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Give us an idea of your budget and what you're trying to achieve.

There are good budget high gain amp sims like TSE X50. Also, Kazrog is having a summer sale on all their plugins right now.

Descent and Mathemagician like this.
  4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Are your current circumstances such that they allow for recording at volume? If so, then go for the pedal. If not, think about investing in some kid of attenuator that'll let you use your amp with some IRs.

5. Parker Petty

Not really sure what you mean, If i were to get the pedal i would pick up a mic and mic up my amp for recording. Im not too sure im pretty new to this.

6. Parker Petty

Id be willing to spend a few hundred dollars, Like the Line 6 which goes for about $400 used, maybe like $500.

7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

If you already have an amp that you enjoy playing through, getting the Line6 might be redundant or not necessary. Unless you're looking for a dual purpose real-world amp upgrade/recording tool to potentially replace what you already have for also playing live, then go for the Pro HDX or even a Helix if you can afford it.

Mic'ing up an amp at volume takes a lot of patience and effort, imo. Unless you have prior experience with this and a dedicated studio space, it requires a lot of fiddling. Alternatively, you can build an isolating "tent of death" around your cabinet to prevent from pissing off you neighbors to record at volume.

That said, in my VERY young experience with the world of recording guitars, I'm finding that recording direct with amp sims and IRs has come a LONG way from the kidney bean POD. Especially if you're a recording newbie, it's an easily accessible way to get started with recording. There are also a ton of low-cost or free options to get you started.

I've been learning recently that the IR used with said amp simulation matters a lot for achieving the "sound in my head." Investing in something like Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound, buying a pack of their metal-oriented cabinets for about $30-40, will give you an amazing amount of control and flexibility over the sound for not much money. It's basically like having all the control of a professional studio space and mic selection for handling mic'ing a cab. Using Wall of Sound can also greatly improve some of the free amp sims out there such as LePou and Ignite.
    http://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound

I'd encourage you to try this option before spending a bunch of money on hardware if your only goal is recording. You might be surprised with the result.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  8. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

save up a tad more and pickup a used axe fx standard

9. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Considering your choices I'll probably suggest some kind of plugin, like Amplitube or similar or even freeware and IRs. Kazrog is also not bad, you can get some really good sounds with them as well.

You're not forced to use their IRs, I currently use Ampire (Studio One), Amplitube, etc. with NadIR and Kalthallen Marshall 1960a cab freeware impulses and am rather happy when I don't mic an amp.

Out of the 3 you mention maaaaybe the POD HD.

Maybe go a few $ up and get a bonafide small tube amp, like Mesa Mini Recto or Marshall DSL40C?

Backsnack likes this.
  10. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

I'm confused.
    The Vypyr has built in stompboxes.
    The Vypyr's known strength is it's 6505 simulation.
    The Vypyr also has the standard variety of effects.

So you have a OD and 6505. What are you hoping to get from another setup that your Vypyr doesn't have?

According to the Djent guide you might also want a good noise gate and a compressor and an EQ pedal. A noise gate is pretty much a must own pedal for high gain Metal. The compressor is used to combat loss of sustain from the noise gate, I'm guessing this is required when more extreme gate settings are used. The guide mentions an EQ pedal and its application, I'd be surprised if you can't get tones you like without it and I doubt it is a prerequisite to achieving modern Djenty tones.

That said I'm not familiar with the Vypyr tube. All I know is I've read plenty of times that the Tube is a favourite in the range and I know the other Vypyrs nail the 6505 and are great modelling amps.

11. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Software is your best choice if your not gigging and just recording and playing at home . If you don't have an audio interface then buy a cheaper one for 200-300 dollars a

Line 6 is coming out with a software version of Helix. I believe it will be 400 for it. I would get that. Bias is also another good option for software amps. Those are your best bets for you imo. TSE X50 and Kazrog Thermionik are also good and very cheap.

12. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

TSE X50 sounds better than any POD tones in my opinion. I haven't heard anything from Helix though. But that is much more expensive.

13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Yeah, the Kazrog line might be well worth a try. BTW, do they have a plan on sampling the new John Petrucci JP2-C Mesa amp? That'd be cool if they do. I felt they did a very good job on the Recto and Mark sims.

14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Are you gigging?

15. Parker Petty

The 6505 sim is not bad, but the overdrive is pretty bad. I was looking at the new horizon device precision drive, because it is a really good overdrive and has a noise gate built in, at this point ill probably get the pedal and use it in front of my amp, and then some cabinet simulations for recording.

16. Parker Petty

nope just recording

17. Parker Petty

I should also add that The vypr is a combo amp, does that mean i would not be able to use it just as a head? and hook it up into my interface and use an IR?

18. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

If you like the overall distortion character of your peavy then look at an ISP Decimator, a Maxon OD808 or a VFE Focus if you can find one, and the MXR six band eq, as it has the "djent slider" aka 1.6khz that the 10 band eq doesn't have.