Amp Project - 5F1 Champ (mods)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by cGoEcYk, Jan 4, 2019.

1. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I ordered a 5F1 kit and am looking forward to it. Anyone know of great mods or enhancements for this amp? I was listening to a youtube video on it and started getting ideas like maybe making one of the resistor values switch selectable (for a tight/normal/loose option). Just wondering if anyone here has played with these amps a lot.

[​IMG]

I use a Tremoverb and like slightly overdriven AC30 cleans. Never tried a Champ or played through a Fender tube amp but it sounds like it nails some old Tom Petty tones pretty well.

2. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

Sorry not really answering your questions but I would like to know where you can order kits like this?

3. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

When I was looking around I saw there are various "small parts" kits which include resistors and wires, maybe some chasis parts... but usually not the transformers (which even on a small amp are pretty expensive $30-80). I found this kit with transformers included at BYOC.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

There’s a lot of tubes in that picture for a champ, maybe it’s modded already? Or maybe just a generic picture.

I was looking into these a bit ago, seemed like a cool weekend project, but never got around to it. I was gonna mod one to use either a 6L6 or EL34 (make sure your iron can handle it if you want to go this route) with maybe a tonestack and some nfb tweaks.

I found one amp kit maker/seller in the U.K., they had listed on their site some mods for the 5F1

http://www.ampmaker.com/infocentre/forum-2-page-1.html

5. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Can't go wrong with MoJotone kits.
    I love my 5e3 tweed.

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I think choosing the right speaker will really be the driving force.

I played a blues jr with a creamback on the weekend and it was fantastic.