Amp modeling question! Pod hd500x

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jpcalloway, Jan 29, 2014.

1. jpcalloway

jpcalloway SS.org Regular

So, I'm thinking about getting a pod hd500x, but I'm worried I won't like it. My last three amps were a vht pitbull, a mesa mini rectifier, and a randall diavlo 1watt head. They were all great, but I want an all-in-one package that I can just play at lower volumes through my studio monitors.
    My question is, will the tone somewhat match up to an actual tube amp? Also, are there any other suggestions? I will not spend more than 500 dollars (since I'm just a hobby player) and I hate software modeling. I like an actual rig that I can tweak the knobs myself. Thanks in advance for any input!

Side note, I play 7 and 8 strings. So I need clarity on the low end.

2. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

I suggest getting the pod hd pro not the pro x as you are only paying a premium on a newer processor they installed because the ones they used on them originally aren't made anymore there is honestly no benefit to the hd x series.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

almost not benefit....there is approximately 15-20% DSP increase....

4. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

allowing 1 extra effect bank rarely not worth the extra $200 Imho

5. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Can you get awesome tones from it? Yes. Will it sound exactly like a particular pedal-amp-cab setup? No. I eventually sold mine because I just love my OD and tube pre, plus there's plenty of awesome amp/cab/effects modeling software (much of it free). But I gotta admit, the POD HD sounded great. Try one. You're in San Diego. There've gotta be some locally.