Amazing Bands who just arrived too late to the party...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Talking bout bands that deserved to be huge, should have been but arrived on their relative scenes just too late to catch the tidal wave of success and missed out on platinum sales, stadium tours etc etc and all down to nothing more than changing times & tastes...

Start this off with UK Band Thunder... Imagine if Backstreet Symphony had been release in 1987/88 same time as Hysteria and 1987....

She so fine

Love walked in

2. PettyThief

PettyThief SYL

The old lineup of Exodus. (should have been way bigger than metallica....)

3. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Probably Testament. First album out in '87, way after the first wave of thrash had broken. They still aren't doing too badly though :lol:

That would be a combination of skill, determination and fucking cracking songs.

Also, these guys:

They really should have been big, and I don't know why they weren't. They had the songs, they most certainly had the chops (Steve Lynch was known for his incredible eight-fingered tapping solos on nearly every song), the singer's voice is a little annoying in large doses but he can definitely sing... but they just never hit big, and consequently barely anyone has ever heard of them. That's a shame IMO.

4. Thep

Thep Blast & Sweep

Sanctuary

5. wrongnote85

wrongnote85 SS.org Regular

dude, i'm pretty sure everyone knows turn up the radio. however, not knowing who the band/artist is has been the norm for a majority of the population for years now.

6. Shammas

Shammas SS.org Regular

Event- An awesome late 90s prog band that came out right around when DT was doing FII and LTE. They toured with some good bands, just never really got the credit they deserved.

Weatherman-
    Perfect Illusion-

7. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Fuck yeah, Thunder.

8. Koop

Koop SS.org Regular

Ghost!

9. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

That's the only one they know though - they were a complete one-hit wonder but Turn Up The Radio is by no means their best song. Does it still count if they had about five minutes of fame and little else?

10. LamaSabachthani

LamaSabachthani Gegen England!

Even though they're not at all a favourite band, I think that TNT would fit the bill. They've enjoyed a relatively long career, albeit with a hefty dose of cheesiness thrown in.

Typically absurd 1980s needlessly over the top drumkit as well haha

11. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

they were kinda early to the party i guess lol

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Testament have been around since 83 but they got signed on the day Cliff Burton died so even the band themselves thought that to be an eerie stigma. But then again, Death Angel were around the same time and also released their first album in 87. Hell if it weren't for another unfortunate but non fatal accident....

Otherwise I agree:

[​IMG]

An amazingly heavy album that came right in the peak of the grunge era long after thrash was on the down low (pun intended). Though it's also arguable that the album was ahead of it's time...

They're doing far better than a lot of their peers and predecessors and still showing the new thrash bands who's boss.

13. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

I'd say Warrant, but they did have one hit. Killed by grunge. And D-A-D had one hit in the USA in 1989, but were similarly knocked off by grunge when it exploded. However they had, and still have, a pretty decent career in Denmark.

After that they managed to make some great alt rock albums (one of which actually made it to Beavis and Butthead), but by then it was too late.

If you're a prog fan, you probably know Threshold, but they should have been a lot bigger than they were (or are, because they're still active in England mostly).

14. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Revocation

20 years too late, if they were somehow around in the 80's, I think they'd be in the Big Four

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Actually, to elaborate further, 1986-1987 onwards was when thrash was really booming. Vio-Lence, Forbidden, Annhialator: all also released their debut albums in 87. A lot of the next wave of thrash bands were also bringing their big guns at this time. That's what happens when Master of Puppets, Peace Sells, Among The Living and Reign In Blood all come out. :hbang:

16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks

Fates Warning. I firmly believe that had 'Parallels' been released before Grunge kicked in and they were pretty much lost promotion for the album, they would had been big.

17. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Queensryche. Being a prog metal band from Seattle with quite a technical background at the time of the grunge explosion woas sort of counterproductive, people expected grunge when they heard "Seattle".

18. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

I feel they really missed the apex of the whole 'djent' wave.

19. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Considering the djent wave is still going strong (apparently), I find it hard to say they missed it.

20. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

If Tom Waits was born roughly 2000 years earlier, nobody would have given that "Jesus" guy any credit.