Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by possumkiller, Mar 11, 2018.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

So I'm 34. Not a kid anymore by any stretch but not so old either. I grew up in the 90s. I became an adult in the early 2000s. I can count the albums made after 2000 that I like on both hands. I can't stand modern music. It just gets worse and worse. Not because of a lack of guitar or hip hop inspiration. I like early 90s hip hop and gangster rap. I am a big metal head but the majority of the metal I listen to is from the 70s to about 2006.

It's the same with TV and movies. I haven't paid for cable or satellite tv since 2003. I hate the completely CGI movies with the actors being the only practical effects and the 2 1/2 hours of epilepsy inducing nanosecond shots and cuts with blank white screens thrown in for extra effect. I hate these stupid ass pointless reality shows and how they've infected every other type of shows. Even the science channel is adopting that kind of crap. I'd seriously rather watch Roseanne or The Golden Girls...

I guess the good thing about it is I've been expanding my interests. Since nothing recent interests me I've been branching out into 60s surf rock, blues, Motown, manouche. I've been watching old movies that weren't exactly blockbuster A list movies in their day.

I don't know. Even though I wasn't alive in the first 82 years of the 20th century I feel more of a connection to that than anything in the last 20 years.

2. NickS

NickS Carvinite

No. You are not the only one. I'm about the same age, and I would say I agree with and/or can at least sympathize with most of what you are saying. But, I try to keep in mind that there is a reason for things progressing the way they do,
    and there is some value in all of it. I generally prefer the older way of doing things, whether it be music or movies or whatever, and the results that come from it, but there are definitely a lot of good new things coming out too. It is perfectly
    natural to feel more connected to the things that came out as you were growing up or were already around, I guess.

3. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

For me, there's a weird one.

1) I can't stand 99% of music before the 1990's. The simple song structures, the production sounds like it uses half of the audio spectrum, the palette of soundscapes isn't particularly saturated and the lack of genre-blending early on makes a lot of rock/metal bands sound the same (rivalled only by 00's Metalcore IMO).

2) I haven't been excited about any new bands I still listen to since Periphery nearly 10 years ago. Nor is there anything new in metal that remotely interests me atm, instead I find myself listening to soundtracks on a loop via YouTube (some recreations of "Jiren's Theme" from Dragonball Super have particularly been enchanting me lately). I just do not care for Djazz/Chon-core or this resurgence in Death Metal with a prog-twist, or as I like to call it, "My-Favourite-Band-Is-Tessera...-err...-I mean-Dying Fetus!-core". There isn't anything there to grab me. The only metal I've spun up this year is Slipknot, Periphery and a bit of Trivium's old stuff.

3) Movies and shows are getting better IMO by a long margin (Blade Runner, Black Mirror, Stranger Things, Dark Knight etc). Games on the other hand have taken a MASSIVE down turn. I just play through Borderlands with the Mrs at this point, although Divinity: Original Sin 2 has been a hoot.

I'll be in the minority here, I can't stand anything in the "Dad Rock" timespan and I'm of that age now, probably because it never worked for me in my formative years either.

4. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I've made almost this exact post a billion times but I'll keep making it as long as people keep complaining about modern music/movies/whatever. There's so much interesting music out there right now. The problem is that there's just so much music out in general that you gotta take the time to sift through it if you wanna find the gems. Time naturally sifts through music for you. All the most mediocre '60s surf rock just gets forgotten, so it's easy to find the best of it. If you wanna find today's gems you gotta look.

To add to that, it's easier for something to make a big impact on you when you're younger, because you just haven't been exposed to as much. As you get older, you've experienced a lot more so you start to recognize common threads in so many more new things you hear. You should accept that you're probably not going to get nearly as impactful and immediate a response to a great album at 30 as when you were 16.

My biggest recommendation is not to look for modern versions of your favorite music. They'll always feel like they either don't live up to the classics, or merely imitate them to a fault. Figure out what cool new sounds are happening in the underground and check that stuff out.

tedtan, vilk, Vyn and 10 others like this.
  5. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I agree with @bhakan that there is good or even great stuff out there now, you just might need to take the time and effort to look at it differently or with more of an open mind. Which in itself can be very hard to convince yourself to do....

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I'm over 40 and think there's a lot of great new music as well as movies. But then again, old people like to talk a lot... :blahblah:

I think bhakan's advice of not looking for a new version of your favourite music from “back then“ majes total sense. :agreed:

couverdure and zappatton2 like this.
  7. NickS

NickS Carvinite

Another thing you can try is to find something new that you do absolutely love, because it is out there waiting for you, then go back and re-examine the old stuff you're so attached too. I find it really fun and interesting to see how it changes your feelings
    and opinions on the old stuff and to see how it connects to what the younger crowd is doing with it.

8. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

The problem for us 30 somethings is that SO MUCH changed right when we were getting ready to graduate high school and go into the ‘real world’. I too feel kinda cheated that most of the things I enjoyed just 10 or so years ago are rapidly going away or gone already.

9. possumkiller

Wtf is dad rock? I'm a dad so is dad rock SYL, Rammstein, Emperor?

I've been trying to find all the crap B movies and music from the 60s-80s as well.

I have found some more modern stuff I like but it's usually inspired by older stuff. I like some of the stuff Jack White gets involved in. I thought the Granda album by Monika Brodka was pure quirky genius. I also like her video for Up In The Hill.

I'm not saying there's absolutely nothing of value out there now. I'm saying it's way too oversaturated with worthless bullshit. I mean look at a typical half hour slot tv show. In school we watched an episode of Full House without commercials to see how long the actual show was. It was like 11 or 15 minutes. Nowadays you cut out the recap of what happened before the commercial break and the dramatic preview of what happens after the commercial break and all the repetition of the same shit over and over again and what do you have left? Five minutes of actual filmed footage?

10. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Wow, I’d actually say that music before the 90s (especially in the 70s) actually pushed more boundaries than anything before or since. Audio production is one thing but with bands like Yes, Kansas, Rush, Uriah Heep, King Crimson, ELP, Queen, etc... the ‘simple song structures’ and ‘lack of genre blending’ argument holds no weight unless all You know is what is currently played on rock radio stations these days.

Best I can tell it’s a derogatory and pseudo condescending term for ‘classic’ rock, i.e 60s, 70s, 80s (and 90s?). Bands like Boston, Hendrix, Van Halen etc would probably get lumped into.

NickS likes this.
  11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you're looking for things to dislike/hate about modern music/film/art, you're going to find it pretty quick.

Try looking for things you like in the new stuff.

12. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Yeah, this.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Once you get to your early/mid 20’s your tastes kind of “set” since you’re no longer exposed to 200 new things a day from 50 of your friends at school every single day.

But. Things continue to change and grow and develop and evolve. So eventually you know what you like/don’t like and then as time progresses you’re left with less and less new things that resemble what you like.

Happens with everything. Though for me I can say that since I’m not tied to any specific tv genre or style, I can enjoy a LOT of the new high-quality shows that’s have come out in the last decade or so.

But I don’t get some of the newer metal styles. Doesn’t mean I won’t go check out a show if they’re in town and the price is right.

14. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

DVR is the best thing to filter out the junkspace in broadcast TV/movies. I rarely watch anything on schedule because of that. Everything else is same old, lots of crap to sift through no matter what it is but there is enjoyable music/movies/tv out in current times.

15. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I agree with a lot of what TS said. I'm a metal head at heart and it's getting harder and harder to find anything new that I can stomach. Anything that claims to be "prog" metal for example. It all sounds the same to me, which kind of makes it NOT progressive.

I primarily listen to 90s and early 2000s metal, and pretty much stick with the bands that came out at that time when they keep making real metal and don't fall for the "next big thing" subgenre salad.

16. NateFalcon

NateFalcon #Ox45

I like a lot of newer stuff...I guess I don’t care about the goofy image that comes with a lot of new shit...now most bands look like they ran to the tattoo shop with their deal money and covered every visible part of their body with fresh tattoos and spend copious time in the mirror making sure their image is correct for whatever crowd they’re trying to be cool for...I’m 38 and can’t stop rolling my eyes at about everything my 24 yo little brother does...the younger crowd is hung up on some pretty funny shit nowdays lol, everything gets polarized into “cool” and “sucks” categories by people who are essentially talent-less themselves. Some 22yo or so told me the other day that Pantera “sucked!!” and that Far Beyond Driven was their “only decent album”...I chuckled and wondered who told him to say that because he didn’t know much else about them when I asked him some questions. Weird. Lol...yeah, Revocation...Pathology...Cavalera Conspiracy -lots of good stuff out there!!

17. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Utterly disagree. I didn't listen to those bands first, so asking me to do so after the fact, it shouldn't surprise anyone that I would feel like I'd heard better. Sure you can go down the "but they inspired X" rabbit hole, but when I've heard something that sounds like the finished evolutionary path, I don't exactly enjoy trying out the prototypes.

Did I strike a nerve? That's the term I see applied to the likes of Priest, Maiden, Led Zep etc, so thats the term I used.

Winspear likes this.
  18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Late teens and twenties are a great time in life. Art is all about connections. I think everyone keeps a fondness for the things that were important to them during those years.

I pretty much just listen to my music collection. Maybe buy a couple new things a year. It’s not cause I think everything new is crap. I just like my stuff.

Tv has def gotten allot better imho.

Movies about the same.

Games a bit of better and worse.

19. possumkiller

I think some of you guys are completely missing what I'm saying. I'm saying when I was in my teens and 20s I listened to the metal of the time. Well and 80s metallica. Since the last SYL album nothing has impressed me in metal. I mean there are still great musicians like Keith Merrow and Fred Brum that I am into. But I see them as more of beacons of talent in a musical post-apocalyptic wasteland. I didn't care for Nirvana in the 90s but I would take it all day over 21 pilots. Basically what I'm saying is instead of going forward with music I started going backwards to the 70s, 60s, 50s, 30s...

20. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Have you tried 1890s Brootzieland djazz?

ArtDecade likes this.