Am I missing something here? (Kemper VST?)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Masoo2, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I've been following a YouTube named FrankTheSmith for a long time. Great mixes, good walk throughs, etc etc etc

However, I was recently checking out his Instagram and stumbled upon this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeCKbfMAyK5/?taken-by=frankthesmith

am I missing something here or is there legit a Kemper VST coming out

steinmetzify, lewis and Elric like this.
  2. Bower1

Bower1 SS.org Regular

That is intriguing! I am not surprised as the VST market is fairly big. Reminds me a bit of how Line 6 put out the Helix plugins. I will be interested to see how this turns out.

3. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I'm surprised that no one picked up on this until now.

How is it going to work? Is it just going to be a player of Kemper profiles I guess?

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

if thats the case /\ Im 100000% buying it rather than a 2nd Kemper for my studio that I planned.

damnnn.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

WHAT :O

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Kemper doesn't even have an editor and has zero plans to make one in the foreseeable future so I'm a bit skeptical they'd make a VST.

If it does every happen then sign me up. Any reasonably spec'd computer should be able to handle several instances of a Kemper plugin so it would be a great alternative to getting a physical toaster. Seeing as the Axe-3 is coming out soon it would be a really good alternative market for Kemper to aim for.

Elric likes this.
  7. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

If they made a VST version of it, it would probably be the most stupid buisiness decision such a company could ever make.
    They'd be seeing their stuff pirated all over the place and the sales for their hardware unit would decline drastically.

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Maybe but you would still need the unit to make profiles. I don't think they'd design it so you could use it as an actual Profiler.

9. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure it's just a skin for another VST, not a Kemper one. I've seen this one a while ago.

10. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

I have been told that Kemper IS working on a Win/Mac editing interface and that they are actively hiring developers to do so... you can see on their homepage their ad for open development positions. So while I don't have 100% proof of that the intent of the developers is to build a UI, I believe my source to be reliable, and Kemper's advert for developers seems to back that up.

11. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Wow. I’d buy the crap out of this depending on how it sounds...

Elric likes this.
  12. Mars_Br

Mars_Br SS.org Regular

Seeing how fast the Helix Vst has been cracked, I hope they know what they're doing.

Maybe they want to earn some extra bucks from the Kemper I before releasing the Kemper II :)

13. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Right. That’s why Helix hardware sales have tanked after their VST was released. Oh wait, never mind. A lot of IRL data and effects are counterintuitive on a simple surface analysis.

steinmetzify likes this.
  14. steinmetzify

Nah. I’ve put off buying a Kemper for most of 3 years because I don’t need to profile anything, no amps here anymore. I’d pay a good amount for this, or for a stripped down version of the Kemper that only loads profiles. I know a bunch of people that feel the same way; I rarely record out of the box anymore, and neither do they.

They’re going to get a bunch of people that have no use for the hardware with this, just like L6 did with Native.

Elric and Masoo2 like this.
  15. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

If it were to be a real thing (there have been rumors for a similar product from Fractal that never surfaced) it'd be a day one buy for me, too. I bought HX Native and don't regret it, I'm sure I'd use a legit KPA plug even more. I have a job I don't have f*ck around with pirate stuff, I don't mind paying for software if it is useful.

NickS likes this.
  16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I'm guessing its fake, but it would be an interesting response to the axe 3 if they did it

17. steinmetzify

Kind of thinking so too, and that’s disappointing. I checked this guy out, he doesn’t have very many followers on YT/Insta; at least to me not the kind of following that Kemper would look at and think ‘we should send him the beta to test’.

Bummer if that’s the case...

Elric likes this.
  18. QuantumSoundLab

QuantumSoundLab Audio Engineer, Downtuning Degenerate

Honestly, even if the hypothetical VST came to life, I'm not sure how the sound would hold up. A software version of an already physical unit has only been done once before (to my knowledge) by Line 6 with Helix Native, but let's be honest the Helix (Native or not) is nowhere near the Kemper in terms of amp simulation. You could run Helix Native off a graphing calculator and get comperable quality to the physical unit. Now, the Kemper on the other hand is great sounding, which leads me to believe it might physically be more powerful. Is it the Kemper's physical aspects like DSP and processors that sets it above the sound of your average virtual program like Amplitube, Bias, etc, or is it simply it's "algorithms" and code and programmable whatnots that other lesser machines COULD technically run smoothly but cannot because they don't have the code?

19. steinmetzify

The tech is sort of here tho....Mercuriall’s ReAxis lets you load TriAxis patches...

I wanna say someone opened up a Kemper and there was barely anything inside. I’d say it’s the code and our computers could run it.

20. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan SS.org Regular

As a Kemper beta tester I have not heard a single peep about this.

And he would surely be in violation of a NDA so April fools a month early?

Masoo2 and Elric like this.