Am I counting this right?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Ralyks, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So I’m doing some writing in Guitar Pro. And im trying to write this riff out. I can’t seem to figure out the time though. A few people I’ve shown this to seem to think it’s 15/16, but I’m pretty sure that’s short. And GP seems to tell me I’m wrong no matter what I put in. Any input? Or is GP just being messed up?
    You’d think all that time I spent on Theory I’d know this immediately...

Attached Files:

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

EDIT: I agreed 15 but it's 16 haha, missed the dot at the end next to the natural mark - perhaps I need glasses!
    So it's 4/4 how you have it right now.
    Why do you have the tuplet marks? No need to mark 2 notes in the time of 2 notes haha. Maybe that's what's confusing it.
    You said you think it's too short. Does the playback sound wrong? Put the signature as 4/4 and see.
    Any chance you can post a recording? Of anything, even you tapping the rhythm on your phone mic.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Here’s the a cut out of the riff from the original video I recorded (which itself was a rough take)

4. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

The video you posted helped, its a little off time here and there

But my guess is 7/4 :)

You can also feel it a a measure of 6/8 and then a measure of 7/8. Sometimes feeling something as shifting meters feels better then calling this piece 15/8

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

You have a “3” on top of the last note indicating the start of an 1/8th note triplet. That will throw of the timing. Without that I count 4/4