Alternative to NG-2

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by shpence, Mar 4, 2018.

1. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

Anyone know a bass (4-string) that rips almost like the Dingwalls (NG/Combustion) for not quite as much money? I plan on ordering one at some point but just curious if anyone knew of something else to look at in the meantime. I have a Yamaha TRBX505 but ain't a fan...even with the B7K in front. Thanks!

2. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

I haven't played any of these, but had them on my list when I couldn't find an NG-2 (luckily one popped up during my search).

LTD B-1004SE
    Yamaha Attitude LTD 3 (used)
    Peavey Cirrus (used)

Veldar likes this.
  3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Winspear likes this.
  4. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

What tuning do you intend to use? What do you mean by "not quite as much?" ~$1000?

If you're looking at low-end clarity a la Dingwall, keep in mind the scale length is just one variable, albeit a significant one. Assuming a budget of ~$1k, you might get better results from a good quality 35" straight-scale four than a cheap multiscale.

A used MIA Cirrus is probably a good suggestion. They have great stock electronics, produce clear, authoritative low notes with the right strings, and usually can be set up with super low action.

5. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

The value to quality tone is what makes the NG so great to me.

The NG IS the value model for that kind of a bass tone. (My opinion of course) but you will probably find that many others here will agree.

6. SamSam

Double post

7. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

The pickup positions and series wiring are the other huge part of the NG2 tone aside from the scale length on the low strings and that pickup configuration is somewhat uncommon. Warwick makes some Thumbs with two pickups right up next to each other. My Gibson Ripper also gets the vintage version of that tone in one of the positions. Nothing is going to do what the Dingwall does though. Its worth biting the bullet and ordering one.

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

pickup is similar to a music man humbucker. But the pickup combinations you can only find it on the stringray 5 strings, were you have a 3way switch for series,split, and parallel

9. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

This is exactly the question I was asking. Thanks for the replies everyone. My Yamaha will do until I finally snag a NG.

10. SamSam

Dude, they are totally worth the wait. I just received a Canadian made Dingwall Super P J and if you tested them blind folded you would not feel a difference.

It plays just as well as my friend's ABZ 5 and he even prefers the tone of the NG!

11. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I think your question needs to be more specific, what does 'rip almost like a dingwall' mean?