Alkaloid - The Malkuth Grimoire (Prog Metal)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Thorerges, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

I hope I am not the only person who has listened to this record by now. This is really worth checking out. Long story short, former and current members of Necrophagist, Obscura, Dark Fortress, Noneuclid and Blotted Science have come together for a new progressive metal supergroup.

Musically this sounds like a mix between Necrophagist/Obscura/Rush/Dream Theater/Between The Buried and Me. They pull it off extremely nicely. However, the album is extremely diverse, so for example I posted one track which sounds like a mix of death metal and prog rock, and another song which sounds like Necrophagist adopted a completely neoclassical sound.

I personally dig what I am hearing very much, of course this is musicians music - everything is pretty complicated, but it is NOT a technical death metal album, an attribute that I consider to be uniquely strong feature of this record. Does it dabble in that kind of music? Sure it does, but they also seem pretty comfortable playing multiple styles.

This one sounds like Necrophagist/Obscura, maybe a little crazier.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  2. unadventurer

unadventurer ultra lurker

dude where can I find a rar for this?

3. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

That is a good freaking tune. I'm really hyped for this release!

4. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

The indiegogo campaign to fund the album. I think this person uploaded some of the album on YouTube.

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

When is it going to be released full? I'm a bit sick of their constant fb notifications! Obscura is finally going to release their Omnivium follow up before Alkaloid after all.

6. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I got the album already. It was sent as an email for any crowd funders.

B-)

7. char5564

char5564 SS.org Regular

only track 2 and track 10 are still unavailable.

8. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

The album is getting released in March. While I definitely thought they posted a bit too much, I have been listening to this record for a day and enjoy every single moment of it so far. It's very intense, super proggy and all over the place.

9. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Great! I can't wait to listen to it whole. How do you compare it with Obscura albums and Hannes Grossmann's The Radial Covenant? Any neoclassical touch from Christian?

10. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

11. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

I have listened to the entire thing for the last day, so here is my analysis of it so far. This is not meant to be coherent, because I don't grasp the album yet.

1. It is extremely diverse. This is probably the most diverse metal record (short of Satriani or Vai) I have heard thus far. It ranges from typical death metal songs to full fledged 15 minute long prog-rock story lines. It is so much information, that I would be very skeptical of anyones attempt to summarize the record in a few words.

2. To affirm Christians contribution - the song "Alter Magnitudes" sounds exactly like an Obscura song would sound, except the production is ridiculously polished and it literally does not let up. This is definitely my favorite song Christian/Hannes have written, it's got neoclassical touches all over it and towards the end sounds like they transposed some symphonic stuff onto 7 string guitars. To summarize this song, it is like Obscura took steroids and wrote a 5 minute death metal song, it never slows down.

Also, 'Alter Magnitudes' has got a seriously badass solo on it, kind of reminded me of Tosin Abasi with how tight the lead is, some of his best work. The song "From a Hadron Machinist" also sounds like Christian and Morean wrote together.

3. Dyson Sphere is the most non-death metal track on there, although it does have some extreme elements, a lot of the rhythm from that track is straight out of the 70's/80's, albeit with a very modern touch. However, the track must have multiple layers of guitars because the riffs keep cycling and are re-visited every so often.

4. This does not compare to the Hannes Grossmann album. First in terms of the songwriting, it is much more mature and also, a lot slower.

5. The one not so positive thing I can say is that the songs are sometimes too long, and the leads are all over the place. There are more than a dozen leads on this album, many of them are well placed, but sometimes I felt a lead popped up when they could've done something else.

6. The one song I cannot speak very fondly of is "Funeral for A Continent". I am not a fan of Hannes' riffs, I felt like Tunker or Morean could've written riffs to replace the somewhat generic sounding main riff he has. However, the song has some really nice clean singing on it, and the chorus riff is heavy as well. Also, the leads on this song are epic - Morean, Christian and Tunker are all writing very melodic and catchy leads, a strong juxtaposition to some of the technically over the top stuff they've all done in the past. At some point if you told me I was on a periphery/intervals record, I would've believed you - simply because the leads on this track are very modern.

7. The title track is a surprise, it is very catchy and nice to listen to (and surprisingly short at 5:00 only), but it actually starts off sounding like a metalcore record, something in the vain of the very recent developments within metal.

All in all, you can say I don't understand a lot of the record, but there is no doubt this is an extremely well done album - it just needs some time.

12. unadventurer

unadventurer ultra lurker

I wouldn't hate it if you put this up on mega... :)

13. gorthul

gorthul SS.org Regular

You know that Christian Münzner and Hannes Grossmann are also part of this forum?
    It's pretty disrespectful towards them if you ask here for a free album download.

jagraal likes this.
  14. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

I can't anyway, the band explicitly asks for the album not to be shared. Maybe someone else would be keen on doing that, but considering the crowdfunding period just ended, it wouldn't be fair.

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I wish it were in Mega, don't take me wrong, I'll buy it as everything Obscura, Christian, etc make, but I'd love to listen to it right now. Where can I buy a physical copy? Did anyone purchase the special offer that included tabs?

16. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

I didn't mean to be self-congratulatory or anything like that. If it were dream theater, metallica or some other band that makes substantive income from their music I would share it.

Alkaloid is not like that, they're just some super talented musicians making music and probably no money for it either.

Good news is because they did well through indiegogo, they're releasing a video too!

17. char5564

char5564 SS.org Regular

very proggy. youre right, it takes some getting used to. but that Alter Magnitudes is a masterpiece.

thorerges, you took all the songs down.. :flame:

18. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

I did not, it seems the band doesn't want it out yet.

19. holy ghost

holy ghost SS.org Regular

I bought the indiegogo CD package but didn't spring for the download. So I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail.

20. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Good! Curious to hear what everyone else thinks of this.