Alder body, maple set neck. Need pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by AfroSamurai, Jun 14, 2012.

1. AfroSamurai

AfroSamurai SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I have a custom 7 in the works and I'm not sure what pickups to put in it. The specs are alder body with maple drop top, maple set neck and ebony fretboard. I play mostly old dream theater and symphony X type of music....no djent for me.

I was thinking in;
    -Crunchlab liquifire (would love to get the old petrucci set, but this might be as close as it gets)
    -Suhr pickups (hot 7's or something like that are called). This ones are supposed to be like the aldrich set, but in 7 string. As far as I know the aldrich set is like a "better" jb-jazz set, but I might be wrong.

I'm really open to suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks!

2. KiD Cudi

KiD Cudi SS.org Regular

Definitely either crunch lab/liquifire or BKP Holy Divers if money isn't an issue.

3. AfroSamurai

Holy divers are modeled after a JB, right? I may want to try those...so many options.

I was also thinking on Anderson pickups, the H3 and H1+ models to be precise. I did some research and he seems to put those in every alder+maple top and maple neck out there. Problem is that there are no sound clips and basically no one has ever tried them before :(

4. KiD Cudi

KiD Cudi SS.org Regular

Yeah, some people call the Holy Diver a perfected JB but it's a popular replacement for the Crunch Lab as well. Strangely enough I tried those Anderson Pickups in a Bulldog guitar through a Fryette Pitbull and the sound was huge, heavy, clear all that crap. It was the closest I've ever gotten to Killswitch Engage's tone.

5. AfroSamurai

Now I'm really interested in the Anderson pickups, I don't dig killswitch engage, but they do have some serious tone. Kind of lucky that you tried them before and I randomly asked for them :lol:. I think I'm going to give them a shot, worst case scenario I just swap them and put something else.

Thanks for the reply man!