Airis savage drive vs horizon precision drive?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BubbleWrap, Sep 4, 2017.

1. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

Does anyone have experience with both of these? I've noticed that Airis had a bit of a bad rap on this site, but I can't really gather why.

2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Neither can I lol.
    I really enjoyed my Savage drive while I had it. It was the "tightest" sounding overdrive I've ever used. It was just a little too transparent for me. I like the midboost you get from a traditional overdrive which the Savage drive lacks.

I haven't tried the Precision Drive but, I assume it has a more traditional tubescreamer-style midrange. However, that's just from hearing demos. Also, Misha has said in an interview that he enjoys a tubescreamer style overdrive (I think it was in an interview about the new Peavey Invective) which leads me to think the Horizon drive has some tube screamer characteristics.

Out of those two I would go with the Horizon drive but, thats just me.

If I could choose outside of those two, I'd pick some sort of overdrive that let's me choose the midrange frequency I'm boosting.

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

If his amp has that built in, why bother with a signature overdrive pedal? I mean other than money.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

the guy who runs airis got banned from here for being a d-bag and apparently he just uses other companies' pcbs/slaps pretty graphics on the product. I know for a fact that the liverkick preamp is a 10$ chugga pre pcb from rullywow (since I own one and posted the gut shots in my npd thread). Personally I don't care about that, it does exactly what I want it to do (it's a clone of the tc electronics preamp that meshuggah used) and it does it well. this thread details a lot of what happened. http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/airis-discussion.321510/#post-4734748
    straight from bulb himself in the invective thread : "The Invective boost is awesome, but it's much less adjustable and much more of a general crowd pleaser, so like the TS9 or Maxon 808 kinda vibe. The Precision Drive allows you to customize exactly where you are cutting the lows and thereby affecting how the mids are affected in turn with the attack switch, so you get so much more flexibility across different guitars/tunings/gauges, and the built in gate combined with the Invective's built in gate gives you a smart combo that's almost impossibly tight without the need for a compressor to "fight" the gates."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Makes sense then.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, I think some of it is hocus pocus, and some of it is just business. I saw bulb's comment about it being a "crowd pleaser," but the "crowd" in question is the exact group that would want to sound like bulb, and have a modern metal amp. I highly doubt that a dad rocker is going to be looking at this. The whole idea (when it was announced) about the OD in the amp was because everyone always asks why no one does one. So now it's in there, but if you want to use it for modern metal, you STILL need an external OD. Yet everyone who is in the market for this amp, and who would use the onboard OD, probably wants it to sound the way Misha says it won't.

The second thing is, the TS has been well documented as rolling off the lows (-6dB, if I remember correctly) below 730 Hz, and the highs above 3K Hz. There is no "true" mid boost. But, since the pedal does provide an actual boost, it is seen as increasing the mids. Secondly, because of the gain push, there is some natural compression. There is no magic here, and these effects can be reproduced in a number of ways, either in part or as a whole. I think in the past, when amps didn't have much gain, and didn't have much control over saturation and EQ, these really filled a purpose.

What is weird is when people scoop the EQ on their amp, and then put a TS in front. I kind of felt like Misha did a little of that in the "How to dial in a modern metal tone" video. But, I can't pretend to know as much about knob tweaking as Misha. He definitely knows more about how to get a good sound.

Anyway, /rant. I don't mean any ill will to bulb, as I think musicians need to make a living however they can, and I'd rather see him, a musician, getting money from music products than some businessman.

starbelly likes this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

Yeah, it doesn't boost the mids above zero, exactly, but it does give the guitar a mid-centric tone either way.

8. KnightBrolaire

don't forget that the juggernauts have a bump in the low-mids and they're relatively mid heavy sounding pickups, so that also adds to his "moar midzzz" tone

Hollowway likes this.
  9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Owned both... liked the Airis SD better. More tweakable and better mid-voicing and control for me.

10. Hollowway

Knight and I, being the 8 stringers we are, are all about the mids. (That sounds sarcastic, but I'm totally serious! :lol:)

11. KnightBrolaire

:yesway: I love lots of mids, but something about the nasally/cocked wah voicing of the juggernauts doesn't play well with my boogie or my favorite profiles on my kemper. I really wanted to like them, but it's just not the kind of sound I want. I like more grindy snarly mids like the omega or elysian moderns or bkp black dog or black winters have. I've been contemplating getting a savage or precision drive myself, though my od808x is pretty sufficient for giving me the attack I want.

12. Hollowway

Yeah, I don't have Juggernauts in anything, currently. I do have a few Aftermath's, though. I play through a Fryette 50CL into a 4x12 FB, and with the GEQ on there I can get some pretty good tones out of most of my pickups. In my 8s I have some Pain Killers, Aftermaths, EMGs, Blackouts, and Deathbars. But yeah, I've heard the stuff you're talking about with the juggs. What I want to try is those black dogs. I've never tried a low gain pup for metal.

13. KnightBrolaire

I really like the black dog bridge. Very aggressive/snarly sounding for how low output it is on paper. also stays pretty damn clear. zimbloth recommended it to me.

14. Spaced Out Ace

I love 80s midrange and Marshall gain with a boost like a BD-2, TS808/9, DS-1, SD-1, Rat, etc.