Agile Septor 727 Pickup Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Garlik, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Garlik

Garlik Member

Hey all! So I got an Agile Septor 727 a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe a few minor complaints, but I think it's worth the price.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the stock Cepheus pickups, they sounds really muddy on the 6th and 7th strings (and a little even on the 5th at times but mostly the 7th). I'm pretty sure they are sized to Dimarzio pickups, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations? I'd like more clarity but I don't want to sacrifice too much low-end. Something bright but still with some bottom end. I know this isn't very specific, but I never paid too much attention to Dimarzios so I was hoping some folks on here would have some feedback on any pickups they've tried that might be a good fit for me...or pickups I should avoid entirely. Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! Hope a good weekend was had by all.

2. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

Does the Septor have a bolt-on neck or is it the neck-thru model?

3. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I ordered a Titan bridge and got a neck pickup by accident and never even noticed until I pulled it to sell the guitar. At 10k or whatever the neck output is it was like having a nice bright and tight PAF or something. Very controllable, unlike the D Activator in my other guitar. Pickup is fantastic.

4. Garlik

Garlik Member

It's the bolt-on model. I wanted the neck-through but as this is my first Agile guitar (I had never even seen one in person before) I didn't want to spend too much.

5. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

I've had good luck with D-Activator 7 pickups in general and specifically X2N-7 pickup in the bridge position (with a D-Activator 7 Neck pickup in the neck position) with those wood combinations. I too like sounds that retain some brightness and clarity without sacrificing the low-end tone.

6. Garlik

Garlik Member

I've actually been looking at both of those. The Dimarzio website throws me off with the "Treble, Mid and Bass" aspects of all their pickups. It's hard to know what I want without knowing where the stock Cepheus pickups stack up compared to these. If I had the Bass, Mid and Treble levels of those pickups it would be an easy side-by-side comparison. I wish Cepheus (or Agile or whoever) would provide this information :)

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Whatever you choose should be a huge improvement. The Cepheus 8 string pickups are generally well regarded, but pretty much everyone agrees the 7s are garbage.

8. Garlik

Garlik Member

That's weird, but good to know. I wonder why the 7's and 8's are so different? I wish Cepheus has a website or something. It'd be nice to get more information about them and their products.

9. Patrick R Hearn

Patrick R Hearn SS.org Regular

I have a Septor 727 and an Intrepid 828. The pickups are completely different. I love the 8 string versions. People have compared them to the Meshuggah pickups. The 7 string versions sound muddy and noisy, like something that comes in an $80 beginners guitar. It’s a shame. I put Aftermaths in mine. They were a gift, it’s kind of funny that they cost more than the guitar itself. It sounds fantastic now, but I bet any aftermarket pickup would be a huge improvement. If you don’t have the money, dampen the strings above the nut. They extend really far along the headstock, and make a ton of noise. Even with the aftermaths, mine sounds muddy without the dampening. Congrats on the Septor. Mine is the 27” bolt on with oceanburst finish. It’s my favorite guitar to pick up and play.

10. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

My interceptor 727 has active Cepheus pups, and those are totally fine. Not much worse than my Blackouts, EMG 707's or Carvin Actives once the height is adjusted, just different. I was actually surprised with them as I was sure they'd need to be swapped. As it stands I'm keeping them cause they're a good variation from the others.