Agile Renaissance 8s - what strings are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Hollowway, May 29, 2017.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

i just saw that labella now makes a .080" and .095" pb string. I'm still using the standard set on my Renaissance, which goes up to a .078, so I'm wondering if stepping up to this .095" makes sense. But dang, that's a BIG jump, so I'm not sure. The 95 is about 30 lbs of force, which isn't that different from a 56 on a standard length guitar, but it's still a fat string, so I'm not sure how I'd get along with it.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Are you sure about the tension? I'd estimate it to not be 30lbs unless in G, more like 27lbs in standard, but it is just an estimate. I don't know if they published tension data anywhere?
    Anyway, I'd definitely take the 95 over the 80 which I believe would be pulling around 21lbs in F#? That's only just enough for standard tuning on a standard scale acoustic for me personally. I don't think the 95 would be excessive at all in terms of tension even if it is 30lbs - with a good setup that should be very pleasant. But indeed it is large and dark. This is one reason I've stayed away from tuning low on steel string acoustics myself. My ideal would probably be a 90.
    Have you thought about trying non PB strings though? I started doing that when playing with open tunings back when I was ordering lots of Kaliums. Absolutely loved the Kaliums on acoustic and haven't used PB since. The availability of other gauges and custom sets in nickel was a big bonus for me and I find they last nicer too. But I know you guys in the US at least have must cheaper access to single strings from the big brands in general

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Hmm, no, I haven't gone with non-PB strings. You've had luck with them sounding good? I will definitely try, if you think that's the way to go. I could very easily put a 90 on there, as I think I've got a couple laying around the house.

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yep! I think the only reason that makes it even slightly questionable is the fact that for some reason nickelwounds aren't usually in string brands acoustic lineup. I see no reason for this at all and if you google 'nickelwound on acoustic' you'll find plenty of discussion :) They are just another one to add to the list of tonal options. I haven't tried to deeply analyse the tonal difference because all I know is that it's always sounded fine to me and gives me more options for less money :) My hands also seem to gross up PB and make them smelly real fast haha.
    Do be aware PB are usually heavier, so you might use a 54 NW instead of a 52 PB for example.